The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest

In today's NYT :
FOUND IN TRANSLATION: Stieg Larsson’s “Girl Who Played With Fire” became the first work in translation to go to No. 1 on the hardcover fiction list since Umberto Eco’s “Name of the Rose,” 26 years ago. Carlos Ruiz Zafón’s “Angel’s Game” was the only other translated book to make the fiction list this year.

I sure do miss my NYT Sunday Book Review and appreciate the info. It was a wonderful read and my favorite of the Larsson trilogy.

Zafon's SHADOW OF THE WIND was terrific and a book I have encouraged my friends to read. Funny, I almost brought that Eco book along. But I decided it was one I would want to keep in my home library and therefore I did not want to transport it down and back. Instead, I have the 800 page Marion Bradley MISTS OF AVALON as my in villa saga-it is based on the Arthurian legends.

<<THere is this female who plays a lab tech on the TV show NCIS- she is what I would think of as Lizbeth. >>>

Too chunky.

anyway, I found this thread b/c somebody just gave me the Brit paperback. For me, tough sledding in the early part of the book. I shall soldier on.

Did you read the first two books? BTW, going to (finally) see the movie tonight of the first book.

Finished the third book today. Thought it was the best of the 3. BUT, did anyone else notice what I guess I would call "workmanlike prose". With the exception of Lisbeth, I also think the character development is just so-so. My biggest gripe is that he sets up a problem for our heroes and then it's dispatched in the next paragraph. I'm thinking "What's gonna happen?" and then it's cleared up.

Having said that, the books are quite the achievement and I certainly enjoyed them. And I am still so very impressed with the foreign language movie version. Also, despite the sub-titles,can't figure out why it hasn't opened wide.

There's an Icelandic author who writes thrillers that are, in my opinion, far superior to Laarsen's books. His name is way unpronounceable but I'll google him and give his name in another post. They are translated in English !

jim

Hi Jim-I really enjoyed #3 as well. Sad to see the series end and I am conflicted over whether or not to let someone else finish the stories using Stieg Larssen's plot outlines. Now I know how the Harry Potter fans feel..

It was fun while it lasted

I enjoyed Hornet, but it was my least fave of the 3. IMHO, took a while to get rolling, and I wasn't that enthralled with the swedish secret police, etc.

Lisbeth is a heroine for the times. great character.

I hear from my book man that there might be a 4th book that was discovered by the lifelong girlfriend but she is holding tight to it because the family is suing her over who gets the money from the first three

I had read that at the time of Larssen's death he had submitted outlines for 3 more books to his publisher.

amyb said:
I had read that at the time of Larssen's death he had submitted outlines for 3 more books to his publisher.

How much more trouble can the poor kid get into? (lisbeth)

Fred, if there were more books released, I would scoff them up in a heart beat. I loved this series and the main character is a unique heroine.

amyb said:
Fred, if there were more books released, I would scoff them up in a heart beat. I loved this series and the main character is a unique heroine.

Indeed she is, but believable, y'know?