Thanksgiving Menu

BURP......ugh....I hate being this full..LOL

sittin by the fire....snow is starting to fall...sippin my Navan....taking in the last waning moments of the day..finally quiet....life is good

8 A.M. hoops practice in the morning, followed by Black Friday in the shops....oh boy!...tomorrow evening will be a heavy Grey Goose evening...LOL

I started cooking at noon on Wednesday....also tripped on the corner of the brick fireplace hearth and gouged a dime sized chunk out of my heel....OUCH and son of a gun! (not what I really said) LOL....been limping around trying not to put pressure on it.

Organic roasted turkey with molasses apple cider glaze...bought it at Whole Foods...pre-brined...I was a bit worried since I'd never bought one like that but it was so juicy and fabulous!
Classic bread dressing (i never stuff the birdy) with fennel and pancetta
Haricots verts avec pancetta and shallots

I tried a new pie recipe....Jamaican Spiced Pumkin Pie.....has Captain Morgan in it....so delish!

A nice Castello di Amorosa Merlot from our July trip to Napa...and a French Bordeaux that was way too dry : )

The rest of the menu was the usual...potatoes, salad, etc.

All good and enjoyed the blessing of family time.

Today is hubby's big 6-0!!! Tonight we will be celebrating at a lovely resto called 'scape with all the kids.

Time to get out the Christmas decorations now!

Happy Holiday weekend to all.

Bev..ouch on the head

everything sounds scrumptious

lets have the pumpkin pie recipe please?

gee I wonder whats for dinner tonight???...LOL

The pie recipe for sure. No turkey tonight- we are all going out. Phyllis is finishing the Torta for lunch.

BTW I tried that high heat roasting method ( at 450 ).....its supposed to be so much better than slow roasting but I cannot say I saw a difference...it was certainly good and moist ( I do an overnight brining ) but not any better than slow roasting...although much quicker cooking time......other than that - not really

I did it at 400- breast side down for 1 hour and then flipped. A 14 lb took about 2 1/2 hours- not stuffed.

one of these days I may actually have to experiment and try the convection roast and convection bake settings on my oven.....LOL

I'v been curious about them

I have a convection oven and the rule is 25 degrees less for the same amount of time. Or less time at the same setting. I don't use it that much.

I don't use it at all.....and I have assorted convection settings which are supposed to be all different in what they do

so why do we have them if we dont use them???....LOL

seems like a waste of money

Our first time to brine and we used the Martha Stewart method with the cheesecloth. Declared by the assembled multitudes the most beautiful and moist bird ever. Inside stuffing was in a cheesecloth "bag" too.
1290799631-photo-3.jpg

INGREDIENTS

Serves 12 to 14.

3 cups coarse salt, plus more for seasoning
5 cups sugar
2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, rinsed and coarsely chopped
2 carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
2 dried bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
3 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns, plus freshly ground pepper
1 fresh whole turkey (18 to 20 pounds), rinsed and patted dry, giblets and neck reserved for gravy
Gravy
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), melted, plus 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
Chestnut Stuffing
Crab apples, fresh rosemary sprigs, and fresh sage, for garnish (optional)
DIRECTIONS

Put salt, sugar, onions, leeks, carrots, celery, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, peppercorns, and 10 cups water in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, stirring until salt and sugar have dissolved. Remove from heat; let brine cool completely.
Add turkey, breast first, to the brine. Cover; refrigerate 24 hours. Remove from brine; pat dry with paper towels. Let stand at room temperature 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, with rack in lowest position. Stir together melted butter and wine in a medium bowl. Fold a very large piece of cheesecloth into quarters so that it is large enough to cover breast and halfway down sides of turkey. Immerse cloth in butter mixture; let soak.
Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack set in a roasting pan. Fold wing tips under turkey. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper inside turkey. Loosely fill body and neck cavities with stuffing. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Fold neck flap under; secure with toothpicks. Rub turkey all over with softened butter; season with salt and pepper.
Remove cheesecloth from butter mixture, squeezing gently into bowl. Reserve butter mixture for brushing. Lay cheesecloth over turkey. Place turkey, legs first, in oven. Roast 30 minutes. Brush cheesecloth and exposed turkey with butter mixture. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Roast, brushing every 30 minutes, 2 1/2 hours more; cover with foil if browning too quickly. If making gravy, add giblets and neck to pan 1 1/2 hours after reducing temperature; roast 30 minutes, and reserve.
Discard cheesecloth; rotate pan. Baste turkey with pan juices. Roast, rotating pan halfway through, until skin is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh registers 180 degrees and stuffing reaches 165 degrees, about 1 hour. Transfer to a platter. Set pan with drippings aside for gravy. Let turkey stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes. Garnish, if desired.
First published

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 55
looks good

been using a cheesecloth bag for decades....especially on pork roasts

turkey croquettes tomorrow night which I like better than anything turkey

I use Trader Joe's brined Kosher fresh turkey. Brush turkey with melted butter- 400 degrees- breast down for 1 hour- flip over- baste bird again. Finished when breast is 160 and thigh is 170. Easy. Perfect turkey.

the farm informed me the other day my Christmas turkey I picked out when he was about a pound in weight is currently 24 pounds....they call him a "freak bird"....so I either have to find somebody to trade with....or I have to get creative and split it and cook half!...LOL

I thought Obama pardoned that bird. If it's that large now how much in 1 month? It may not fit in your roasting pan or oven. You'll need a chain saw to cut him in half. LOL

I know, Andy, but my recipe says do not use the lite coconut milk....it's really good. Just don't make more than one pie : )