Some notes and comments 2023

Seems like the sidewalk parking is back on from Black Ginger all the way past Baz Bar.

When I come into Gustavia and see how few parking spaces there are while at the same time many of the restos are at least half empty, I can’t imagine what it is like in the high season.
We were in Gustavia tonight and had that very same thought.

Seems like the sidewalk parking is back on from Black Ginger all the way past Baz Bar.

When I come into Gustavia and see how few parking spaces there are while at the same time many of the restos are at least half empty, I can’t imagine what it is like in the high season.
Perhaps, but it's an expensive lesson when the enforcement resumes.

Parking and Taxi issues are one of the reasons why I minimize dining in Gustavia at night. Bagatelle taking over the food at Robuchon actually removes a parking/taxi issue for me - I don't care for Bagatelle. I would have found a way to make it work for Robuchon.

Still some more comments to add which I will do at
Some point today or soon. The saddest part is always saying goodbye to @Rosita and Les Basses and then dropping the car off with Odile and walking into the airport, but it also gives some time to think back about a wonderful two weeks.

A little drama at the airport today as the flight before us just aborted their takeoff at the last moment: I can only guess he didn’t have enough speed or started to pull up too late. When he went back and tried again he went airborne about half way down the runway so he wasn’t taking any chances with his second attempt.everyone at the airport was up and videoing the second attempt.

Then a few Minutes later when the next plane was landing at SBH he was coming in hot and wobbling and had to abort the landing and go around for another pass. I guess the wind is stronger today than I realized. hopefully he lands this next one because I’m pretty sure it’s our plane!

Edit: update - perfect landing at attempt #2

Last edited:
We flew in via SJU and Tradewind for our two week stay last Saturday. As I mentioned elsewhere we were told the Tradewind Lounge will be expanding in size next month (well now that it is November, maybe this month?). We arrived very early for our 4pm flight due to not being able to safely schedule the 1pm flight based on our arrival time.

Due to the current and apparently worsening storms in the area and the fact that apparently all passengers had arrived, one of the 4pm flights departed at 2:30 and ours around 3. The flight over was on and off with almost no visibility through the clouds. The pilots avoided most of the rough stuff until we approached SBH. Then it was pretty much a start, go, sputter, shimmy, shift, drop, rise, sway, stammer last 30 seconds over and down the hill. But the actually landing after we cleared the hill was perfect. We’ve arrived.
Still some more comments to add which I will do at
Some point today or soon. The saddest part is always saying goodbye to @Rosita and Les Basses and then dropping the car off with Odile and walking into the airport, but it also gives some time to think back about a wonderful two weeks.

A little drama at the airport today as the flight before us just aborted their takeoff at the last moment: I can only guess he didn’t have enough speed or started to pull up too late. When he went back and tried again he went airborne about half way down the runway so he wasn’t taking any chances with his second attempt.everyone at the airport was up and videoing the second attempt.

Then a few Minutes later when the next plane was landing at SBH he was coming in hot and wobbling and had to abort the landing and go around for another pass. I guess the wind is stronger today than I realized. hopefully he lands this next one because I’m pretty sure it’s our plane!

Edit: update - perfect landing at attempt #2
We always feel the same leaving Les Basses, but console ourselves with thoughts of next time🥂
Just landed SXM and it was a bit of a rough landing, the pilot warned us of winds. For anyone connecting through in these interim days before the new departure area opens I would suggest patience. The big bar is no longer bc that part of terminal is blocked off for construction. The temporary departure area is reconfigured and very crowded. We were lucky being SBC so we transferred with no problem and did not even enter the new temporary arrival facility. Even if transferring on Winair—if you have carryon only and a boarding pass—you can transfer fairly easily. It’s a Saturday so very busy, always interesting here at SXM. They are still saying new departure area will open Nov 15. Fingers crossed!

I was thinking about St Barth in the middle of Winter here, so I figured I'd circle back with some things I missed, albeit with a little more distant memory for details I suspect.

One night we wandered around Gustavia unsure of where we were going to eat. We walked around considering L’Atelier, Petite Plage and Baz Bar amongst others. We ended up eating at L’Atelier as they were the most welcoming and we were interested in seeing if the changeover to Bagatelle had started. The Bagatelle influence had indeed already started even though the takeover was still on the down low at that point. The very personable host from Bagatelle was there as was, and working in the kitchen, the Bagatelle group executive chef Rocco Seminara and one other “white jacketed” and monogrammed Bagatelle chef were there amongst the sea of “black jacketed” JR staff. We spoke to the host often throughout our night there and really had continuous and enjoyable interactions with a lot of the staff. He stated the somewhat small menu was going to be augmented a little bit in the short run with some new options and then be overhauled down the road. It wasn't clear to me if the overhaul was going to happen this season or next. The service, food and attention to detail were all incredible. I would absolutely recommend dining there and am interested to see what it is like now that (I assume) it has been fully engulfed under the Bagatelle umbrella.

As they suggested, we sat at "the bar" which is usually enjoyable in a nice resto and gives you the chance to watch the chefs prepare certain items and put the final touches on other items for presentation. We had different, but very good white Burgundian wines and GM started with a glass of champagne, which is why I think we opted for the "by the glass" wines. I was surprised at the number of and the reasonable pricing of the by glass options. The head chef was enamored with a particular "Game of Thrones" actor sitting next to us, but the service from the other, what seemed like 30, chefs and staff was great. We had the tuna which was one of the better dinners we had on a trip of amazing dinners, but I can't remember exactly what else - looking at the menu I think it was the gyozas starter. While I don't remember what the amuse-bouche was, I do remember it was served in a shot glass and 2 staff members came running over as GM was about to down it like a shot since they had not yet given us our little spoons :ROFLMAO:. They did mention that a previous customer was a little quicker and managed to drink the amuse-bouche before they could get there.

This was only our second time at L'Atelier and the first time dining in the main restaurant. I was at first disappointed when I heard that it was being taken over by Bagatelle as we have only eaten there a couple of times and unlike some others we really enjoy some of the "famous chef chain restos". But now, not only do I think it is going to be a welcome change, but after dining there we will be going back to Bagatelle again as well.

As previously mentioned, since this was a November trip, we were there for part of the St Barth Gourmet Festival. We had never eaten at Le Guanahani before. So, with only being able to pick a couple of Gourmet Festival dinners to fit into our schedule we chose Le Guanahani for various reasons: including the delicious looking menu choices and the fact that the guest chef, Regis Marcon, was awarded 3 Michelin stars back in France. It was flat out amazing. See below for @dadto6 review because I saw it at the time and when I read it, I felt it so perfectly described my thoughts that there was no need to go in depth about each dish nor to post the photos of the incredible dishes. We were so impressed with Chef Marcon who we found to be such a talented, yet humble man. Where else would you have a 3 star Michelin chef telling you about where he was from, asking you about yourself and serving your food himself, including pouring "gravy" from a gravy boat over your duck and watching how the servers presented your food and even going back and grabbing forgotten items and bringing them himself. It was just a special night and one of the best and most memorable dinners I have had anywhere. The setting and staff were also all fantastic.

Dad's review:

RE%CC%81GIS-MARCON-Large.jpeg

Chef of the restaurant Le Clos des Cimes
in residence at Rosewood Le Guanahani St. Barth.

RÉGIS MARCON