new name for airport

Wow! Thanks, Izzy! I’ve looked for that information from time to time, but never found it.

“Sister Armelle found her last resting place, not in the cemetery, but the in the small garden around the Holy Heart statue, close to the front of the church of Gustavia. A small chapel was built at her grave in remembrance of all the good which she had done for the people.”

Here are a few photos to show the Sépulture that I referred to.

There‘s a small garden across from the Catholic Church in Gustavia.

P1010530.jpeg

There are two features in the garden, one is a Sacre Cœur.

P1010525.jpeg

The other is a Sépulture.

P1010527.jpeg

Sister Armelle was a Nun of the order Des Sœurs de St Paul de Chartres.

P1010526.jpeg

Thank you! I was looking all over for photos!
The photos are from 2008, which means that I’ve been puzzling about Rémy de Haenen’s airline, and the 1947 incident (over 75 years ago), for at least 15 years.

A side note - Gustavia has a number of tiny pedestrian alleys which are unknown to most visitors. One runs down the left side of the garden, from Rue de L’Église to Rue des Dinzey. It’s handy if you need to park that far back.

The photos are from 2008, which means that I’ve been puzzling about Rémy de Haenen’s airline, and the 1947 incident (over 75 years ago), for at least 15 years.

A side note - Gustavia has a number of tiny pedestrian alleys which are unknown to most visitors. One runs down the left side of the garden, from Rue de L’Église to Rue des Dinzey. It’s handy if you need to park that far back.
I agree about these obscure passages, Kevin . . . very cloaked in mystery. I can’t help but think of the “Maltese Falcon” & other film noir scenes as I pass through them, especially at night.

an aside to de Haenen's life in Saint Barth

From an article about Tintamarre, close to St Martin:

However, back in the 1940s, long before anyone in Saba even dreamt of having a car, let alone a landing facility, rumor has it that de Haenen was already linked to Tintamarre as he engaged together with the collaborationist Vichy government of French St. Martin in operations of supply of provisions, ostensibly brought from other French islands, and replenishment of German U-boats in one of the few Nazi “R&R” stations in the Caribbean.

Be that as it may, de Haenen found himself in the perfect position at the end of World War II to pursue his aeronautical dream. While the Destroyers-For-Bases and later the Lend-Lease agreements between the British and US governments had secured the creation of airport facilities in Sint Maarten (later Juliana Airport) and several other islands in the region, the French islands remained entirely dependant on the one airport in Martinique, where de Haenen had obtained his license. Given the natural advantage provided by the terrain in Tintamarre, de Haenen set out to establish a local airline, Compagnie Aerienne Antillaise, equipped with single engine, high-winged Stinson Detroiters (6-seaters) for the shorter trips and larger (10-seat) Stinson Trimotors for the longer journey to Guadeloupe.
I haven’t followed the details of the council’s debate, but Remy de Haenan’s past should raise concerns when it comes to his name being celebrated on St Barth. For all of his accomplishments and there were many, he is also accused of not just being in business with Vichy collaborators during WWII, but connected directly to Nazi intelligence. He appeared to be an opportunistic businessman who played connections on both sides for his gain. Since these allegations were never formally charged or proven they exist, and persist nonetheless. Whether his name is worthy of such an honor is highly debatable.

According to a 1951 book written by English intelligence (SOE) member during WWII, Patrick Leigh-Fermor:

“According to Leigh-Fermor, De Haenen was a German intelligence officer, an agent of the Abwehr. His mission was to secure a replenishing base for any German U-Boats that might become active in the Caribbean Sea in the event of War.”

“With the permission of Mr Fleming (owner of Tintamarre), de Haenen cleared an airstrip on Flat Island and constructed a small forge on it. The ostensible need for the airstrip was to train learner pilots to land and take off. The forge was used for minor U-Boat repairs carried out at night when the Boats could surface unobserved. For the use of the crews, he collected and stored fresh Dominican fruit and vegetables and flew in tinned foodstuffs from Puerto Rico.”

I haven’t followed the details of the council’s debate, but Remy de Haenan’s past should raise concerns when it comes to his name being celebrated on St Barth. For all of his accomplishments and there were many, he is also accused of not just being in business with Vichy collaborators during WWII, but connected directly to Nazi intelligence. He appeared to be an opportunistic businessman who played connections on both sides for his gain. Since these allegations were never formally charged or proven they exist, and persist nonetheless. Whether his name is worthy of such an honor is highly debatable.

According to a 1951 book written by English intelligence (SOE) member during WWII, Patrick Leigh-Fermor:

“According to Leigh-Fermor, De Haenen was a German intelligence officer, an agent of the Abwehr. His mission was to secure a replenishing base for any German U-Boats that might become active in the Caribbean Sea in the event of War.”

“With the permission of Mr Fleming (owner of Tintamarre), de Haenen cleared an airstrip on Flat Island and constructed a small forge on it. The ostensible need for the airstrip was to train learner pilots to land and take off. The forge was used for minor U-Boat repairs carried out at night when the Boats could surface unobserved. For the use of the crews, he collected and stored fresh Dominican fruit and vegetables and flew in tinned foodstuffs from Puerto Rico.”
I wondered if and/or when this was going to make it into this post. From my time in Anguilla I heard the locals talk about the submarine base on Flat Island. The story says the German U boats would "snorkel" while underwater off the coast of Tintamare. German U boats were diesel-electric at the time. They ran on electric motors when submersed but had to either surface or "snorkel" to charge the batteries. I was told they would rest on the bottom at Tintamare (Flat Island) and snorkel to charge the batteries. I thought it was an interesting story so I sailed over in my sailboat and anchored on the west end of the island. I hiked around for a day and all I found were the remains of what looked like an old farm house. I quit looking and went to the north shore looking for some lobsters for dinner. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something that looked unnatural or manmade. It turns out it was a small handcart with steel wheels with a lip on the inside diameter so it could run on rails. There were two sets of uprights and they were coming up from a 180 degree rounded bottom base. I assumed it was a cart for transporting torpedo's. I think the U boats were being supplied with more than just fruit from down island.

I find it interesting that Ian Fleming was a very high ranking British Naval Intelligence officer during the war and (perhaps) Remy de Heanen was a German Intelligence Officer who was instrumental in establishing a secret U boat base on Tintamare and that they both have airports named after them on their adopted Caribbean home islands.