• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Marigot and more

JoshA

Senior Insider
Yesterday, we bought a pump-up pool float and rented some snorkeling gear from Hookipa in Saint-Jean and also picked up the ribs they make at La Boucherie on weekends.

IMG_3245.JPG

We then drove to Marigot for some snorkeling. As far as I can tell, the only public access to the beach is at the east end. I left Hellie there with the gear while I surveyed the west end by wading and walking over the rocky shoreline. The beach is much nicer there, but harder to get to. Behind the sandy beach is a manicured lawn, palms, and structures with equipment for events. The cliffside there looks like it would promote the visibility one needs for snorkeling.

IMG_3250.JPG

Back at the east end, I hoped to see turtles as I snorkeled over the sea grass but only saw a few fish in the sand-clouded water near some reefs and rocks. We relaxed on the narrow beach over a picnic lunch as clouds settled into an overcast poor for snorkeling vision.

Back at the villa, we had a sunset Campari and tonic with brie on crackers

IMG_3258.JPG

before preparing an ambitious meal. Magret de canard, foie gras, et tranches de pommes vertes

IMG_3261.JPG

were combined with a red wine reduction butter sauce from our favorite TIALW recipe

IMG_3262.JPG

for our meal. A beautiful Burgundy (2011 Joseph Drouhin Mercurey) with soft dark cherry and chocolate flavors and a velvety, almost buttery, mouthfeel accompanied the duck, caramelized apples, and seared foie gras.

IMG_3265.JPG

Any combination of those components excited my taste buds both last night and as I write these words in the morning.

Thanks Amy, Bart, and Spring. The foie gras and the wine and butter sauce can work in combination with tuna, steak, portobello mushroom, and, apparently, duck. I think it's the umami taste enhancer. It's certainly not "mine." All credit goes to Patrick O'Connell - a true culinary genius.

Good move to make it on Valentine's day. Much better than a rushed, substandard meal at a crowded restaurant.

I just love your reports, Josh!!! It is wonderful to hear how you've settled into the rhythm there :up: