• This is an archive of older St Barts forum topics and posts.
    Information in this sub-forum may be out of date.

If you are researching schedules or time sensitive materials, go to the main forum and ask other members for confirmation.

Bringing Children To St Barth

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Newbie Info du Jour---Bringing Children To St Barts

There have been many posts with excellent ideas on what to do with children in St. Barts. Lexiegirls cute posts give a real feel from the kids perspective. Our children have come to St. Barts as adults so our experience has been with grandchildren. And the four grandchildren who have visited the island a few times (and will definitely come again) are hooked. The youngest was two on her first trip and the oldest was 8 (now 13) so weve been through different stages. Here are some tips for kids---- clothes, activities and restaurants:

Clothes for Children For all water sports apparel and shirts that protect from the sun, Quicksilver Tel: 0590-29-69-40 on the Rue de la Republique in Gustavia has an excellent selection. Another sports clothing shop is A Vos Marques Tel: 0590-27-98-28 on the Rue Auguste Nyman in Gustavia. Many shops sell tee shirts and I wont list them all. In Gustavia: Outre Mer , the Black Swan and Totem. In St. Jean: the Drugstore des Caraibes contrary to what the name implies, it is a clothing/souvenir shop NOT a pharmacy), and the Black Swan both in the Villa Creole and the In the Air shop on the second floor of the airport have many choices. Another tee shirt place that few people discover is L'Atelier, located on the road to Saline Beach. When you see the sign on the left, drive in, and if the owner is there, he will help you----he doesnt keep regular hours and the little shop is in his home. He may be pressing the shirts when you arrive!-----they are distinctive tee shirts, with lizards and French sayings. (He used to have a store in Gustavia but it got too expensive).

For other clothing needs Clementine et Julian (named for children of the two women who own the shop) Tel: 0590-27-96-41 on the Rue de Roi Oscar in Gustavia and the Vaval boutique Tel: 0590-27-66-43 in the Centre Vaval, St. Jean, have reasonably-priced shorts, tops, dresses, hats and other basic items.

Beach/Pool Toys The beaches are the big attraction and you can find pails & shovels, boogie boards and other beach toys as well as noodles, floats and pool toys at several stores. In St. Jean: Casarina Surf Shop located across the road from Le Pelican Plage and in Lorient: the toy shop located in Marche de LOasis Centre.. Some of the stores in Public also have beach toys.

Activities for/with Children --- some possibilities: Renting a boat for a tour of the harbor and around the island, Snorkeling to look at sea turtles in Lorient. Hiking at La Pointe Toiny with older kids. Collecting shells and sea glass at Shell Beach & other places. Horseback Riding arranged through Saint Barth Equitation at the Ranch des Flamands.

Making pottery at the Blue Gecko Studio in St. Jean is a great rainy-day activity. Tel. 0590-27-97-31. Children under 7 must be accompanied by an adult.

The Museum in Gustavia is of interest to older kids. Here is a Museum that suits all ages: Interoceans Museum ---Tel: 0590-27-62-97. Hours tend to be flexible but are published as: Mon-Sat 9:00a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Entry fee: 3 Euros This marvelous little museum is in the home of Ingenu Magras in Corossol. Monsieur Magras is fascinating & personally describes the wonders of his collection of shells from all over the world, from every ocean and the seven seas. Approximately 9000 shells and examples of sea life are displayed here.

Kids and animals are a natural combination and taking an inventory of animal and bird life in St. Barth is a nice diversion.

St. Barth as an Animal Fair---oh, yes, the birds and the beasts are there. There are many examples in the Photo Gallery, especially some of the photos entered in the Flora & Fauna contest. A fun game for kids is to name the different animals and birds, etc. and even to count them as you explore the island. There are lizards, iguanas, cattle, horses in Flamands, pelicans, peacocks, roosters, chickens, egrets, mourning doves, sugar birds, parrots, pipers and, of course, goatsmany goats.

Children Watching Children on Parade----If you are on the island around the time of Carnaval, the Childrens Parade is a must-see. It is usually held on the Friday before Carnaval---starts about 2 p.m. Location: The staging area is at the school near Shell Beach; the parade winds around the street at the back of the harbor and then finishes near the Goldfinger store. Good vantage points are near the Anglican Church or along the quay opposite Kudeta & La Cantina. The schools on the island participate, with each class selecting a theme (Knights, French chefs, Pirates, Indians, countries such as Japan, China, Greece have been celebrated---there is no limit to the imagination that these colorful outfits demonstrate).. The kids are all in costume---sometimes their mothers are, too. There is music and much merriment. Very informal and fun.

Children-Friendly Restaurants ---Beyond the cook-at-your-villa option and take-out, the most-frequently-asked question is: Where can we take the kids to eat? Most restaurants in St. Barts are fine for well-behaved children (and I leave it to you to judge whether your children are in that category) with the exception of expensive places such as Carl Gustav,Le Gaiac and On the Rocks. I have even seen children at these restaurants at times. And if your children are used to dining-out with adults, the Wall Houseis very welcoming. However, if the children are little and you are concerned about the kid-friendliness of the atmosphere, here are some suggestions. Most of these restaurants either have childrens menus or will prepare dishes such as pasta or a hamburger for kids who are finicky eaters (if you have any concerns, stop by and ask them ahead of time):

In Gustavia:
Le Bistro
La Creperie
Do Brazil
Eddy's
Kudeta
L'Oubli
The Palace
Le Repaire
Route des Boucaniers
La Saladerie
Le Select
Le Vietnam
Ti Zouk K'fe

In St. Jean:
Andy's Hideaway
Le Piment
La Plage

In other areas:
Le Bouchon,Lorient
L'Espirit de Salines,Saline
Le Grain de Sel,Saline
K'fe Massai,Lorient
PaCri,Saline
Le Tamarin,Saline

Others on the Forum may have additions to this list. I have been to most of these restaurants with children and the experience was most enjoyable. Favorites, from the childrens perspective, La Saladerie and the Hideaway .

Kids love the ice cream & sorbet at La Creperie, Petit Deauville and Route des Boucaniers .

So, by all means bring the children and encourage them to become the St. Barth clientele of the future. Just keep in mind and be respectful of the fact that, for many adults, the island is a romantic getaway place for two.

Re: Newbie Info du Jour----Bringing the Children

great stuff...I dont think I have to tell you my feelings on this topic
we had the pleasure of being on the island when the one and only circus came to town....what a hoot it was...I'll look for pictures and post them if I find them...

great stuff...thanks

thanks for the great info, julia. my grand daughter is 20 months old and we plan to take her with us next year (she'll be 2.5). my only concern would be medical care in the event of an unforeseen illness. what info do you or others have on pediatricians....just to have a little comfort if the need arises.

In the phone directory Dr.Dominique Candito (Tel: 0590-27-52-65) is listed as a Pediatrician, located in Anse des Cayes. The physicians practicing general medicine also treat children---when I was in the waiting room at Dr. Bernard Husson's office (Tel:0590-27-66-84; Location: Gustavia) I saw several children.

With regard to beaches:
We are considering a trip early next year with The Family (which will consist of my wife and I, our nanny, and our twins, who will be 2).
For beaches, which is best for young kid? I was thinking of St. Jean or Lorient. Any reason, with regard to the twins, to choose one or the other? My impression is that there is more within walking distance at St. Jean, but calmer water at Lorient.

In the phone directory Dr.Dominique Candito (Tel: 0590-27-52-65) is listed as a Pediatrician, located in Anse des Cayes. The physicians practicing general medicine also treat children---when I was in the waiting room at Dr. Bernard Husson's office (Tel:0590-27-66-84; Location: Gustavia) I saw several children.

merci, julia. duly noted in my trusty planning journal!

why not try shell beach? calm, small, lots of fun little things (shells, hermit crabs) to pick up and put in a pail (or a mouth).

From personal experience, the calmest water is found on the Nikki side of St. Jean beach and at Grand cul de Sac. You can play with little kids in the shallow water there without fear of heavy surf.

Lorient Beach attracts families because it is less crowded---terrific for setting up chairs in the shade & building sandcastles. There is a little more surf at Lorient than St. Jean.

Shell Beach is wonderful, too, especially for kids who enjoy collecting shells & sea glass. And the water is fairly calm. However, with 2-year-olds (who still put everything in their mouths) you might want to be somewhat cautious.

Julia,
I agree on the Nikki side of St. Jean. Also some shade up near the fence during the afternoon.

Last year we rented a 3 bedroom simple cottage on the Nikki side of St. Jean beach.Our kids are 5 and 8, but the water is very gentle and there is plenty of shade.It was so much easier to walk out onto the beach and not to lug all of the beach items necessary to protect and entertain kids on the beach.Food and drink, right there. bathroom right there, first aid for little bumps and scrapes, right there, and other children to play with arriving at the beach all day.

Julia,
I agree on the Nikki side of St. Jean. Also some shade up near the fence during the afternoon.

absolutely...its where we always go with Lena....or L'Orient...or Petit Anse.....

You can see the fence shade from this shot

No, you can see you are a stalker with a camera :)

Looking at her tan it sure doesn't look like she's been getting much shade lol

Now, now---you can see a toddler in the water. I'm sure that's what he had in mind :)

Notwithstanding Mr. Nappers somewhat irreverent photo-reply in the kiddie post, as you progress done away from Nikki there are a number of palm trees on the fence line that are a favorite of local families for shade.

But, isn't that shot, with the chairs, inside the Camp David area and cannot be accessed? I know there are some shade trees along the fence. We have stayed in one of those houses near Nikki Beach also.

But, isn't that shot, with the chairs, inside the Camp David area and cannot be accessed? I know there are some shade trees along the fence. We have stayed in one of those houses near Nikki Beach also.

Yes it is but at low tide there are people that sit in front of this area and where I am standing is the end of Camp David.

Yes it is but at low tide there are people that sit in front of this area and where I am standing is the end of Camp David.

So that's where they've been going for peace talks all these years. No wonder!

A different view

6Ra3SXtSxJempbNI1loTgZ+9DG+xhw700300.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.