Amazing Stay at Villa Triagoz/Magic Bird

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]"How do you and others who are villa owners handle renters who decide construction noise is an issue after they arrive?"[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]1. As most everyone knows, there have been severe hurricanes damaging or destroying countless structures on the island.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]2. Villa owners who are fortunate enough to repair their villas for near term rental have no control whatsoever over construction noise on nearby properties.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]3. Most villa owners own only their villa and therefore have no ability to transfer the renter to a quieter site.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]4. Renting through an agency such as Wimco that has an enormous stable of villas MIGHT provide some opportunity to be moved to another quieter site.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]5. To avoid serious disappointment, my recommendation is to adjust one's expectations concerning the peace and quiet or lack thereof on St. Barth for quite some time in the future.[/FONT]

Well positioned Tim. Who knows? Everyone is anxious to rebuild their homes and businesses and I wish them luck.The noise problem will undoubtedly be widespread. Take a shot, and know that THIS TOO SHALL PASS.

Well positioned Tim. Who knows? Everyone is anxious to rebuild their homes and businesses and I wish them luck.The noise problem will undoubtedly be widespread. Take a shot, and know that THIS TOO SHALL PASS.
Funny but it should be This too shall pass and then take a shot. :biglaugh:

Tim says : “4. Renting through an agency such as Wimco that has an enormous stable of villas MIGHT provide some opportunity to be moved to another quieter site.”

Enormous stable of villas might be true in previous years but I doubt it applies this time.

Tim says : “4. Renting through an agency such as Wimco that has an enormous stable of villas MIGHT provide some opportunity to be moved to another quieter site.”

Enormous stable of villas might be true in previous years but I doubt it applies this time.

Well said Andy...Talked with Wimco yesterday.They said they are down to approx 60 villas,instead of 450 .They suggested renting in Gustavia and Corossol for the moment.It seems destroyed gardens in many areas are a problem,because of privacy or view.But they were optimistic about the season,saying lots of things were about to reopen and clients were now calling for bookings (instead of cancelling)

Thanks for the input. I'm surprised to hear that 390 of their 450 villas are uninhabitable.

Thanks for the input. I'm surprised to hear that 390 of their 450 villas are uninhabitable.

It seems there is quite a lot of problems with phone lines and internet in many areas of the island...60 is the number for the 1st of november.
I also guess they don't pick areas where rebuilding is "heavy"..too much noise.No need to put clients near a building site,to have them move the next morning.

Thanks for providing this perpective. We rent properties locally and needed to provide deep discounts/liberal cancellations due to some construction nearby a few years ago. Not entirely altruistic - being savaged in online reviews could have done long-term damage to our side business and we generally kept our clientele intact.

A corollary to your 5 points is to be very leery of any pre-trip assurances regarding noise since a villa owner is not likely to feel an obligation or to have the ability to transfer a renter to a quieter site. An agency might but that is very difficult in the island's current state. Our prior experience with the agency we use is that they have been preemptive in this regard and very forthcoming about what to expect - a major reason that we remain loyal and will trust what they advise us for our scheduled winter trip.

As far as construction on St Barth goes, although this necessary upswing may pass, I suspect construction as an issue will not pass until well after we do - and we hope to live a good long while with multiple visits to St Barth in the interim.

With long experience on the island, including as a hotel "proprietor," I'd like to say that I find this thread of messages to be very valuable, particularly in respect to Tim's #5: Adjust expectations.

For something like the next six months (. . . give or take), St. Barths is not going to be an optimal destination for folks who require a "Four Seasons" cocoon. In this regard, I'm not making a judgment as to personal values, but am giving a "reality-check" thought. As sorry as I am to say it, because of the economic loss that some friends may suffer, I frankly think that lovers of SBH, who need the island's inestimable tourism style, should not return 'til they can be comfortable with changed, and perhaps, diminished conditions. Personally, I want to be with my island friends, offering them support in whatever small ways are possible. "Style," moreover, is what one makes of circumstances.

For something like the next six months (. . . give or take), St. Barths is not going to be an optimal destination for folks who require a "Four Seasons" cocoon.

True..in a way.
All 5 star hotels will be closed.And Nikki beach will be closed till march.
Otherwise,what will be missing ? Beaches,fabulous villas,fabulous restaurants ? no..all are ready for tourists
Massages,private chefs ? also waiting for visitors.
Less people,less traffic
Truth is experience could be better for visitors,unless they planned to dance on a beach after a "sand bar" lunch.

For sure,it will be a different island experience for some time. I can handle that and look forward to aiding in the rebuilding of the economy. I am patiently waiting on stand by to hear that our rental house is repaired and ready for us.

Well, in truth,not patiently.

I am eagerly and anxiously awaiting the "OK to come down" message.

We have reservations to visit St. Barth for two weeks in January and two weeks in February. As someone who's been visiting St. B since the mid 1980's, I'm really curious to see what impact the recent events will have on "Less people, less traffic..." quoted from Chris's post above. I might prefer the slightly wounded version to the hustle and bustle I've experienced in the last few years.

4. Renting through an agency such as Wimco that has an enormous stable of villas MIGHT provide some opportunity to be moved to another quieter site.

I'm confused as to how something like this would work.

Suppose I rented "Villa Great View" from a large agency, but it's actually owned by "Joe Blow", and there happens to be loud construction nearby. If I call the large agency and ask to be moved to "Villa No Noise" that happens to be owned by "John Doe", how does that work?

Does "Joe Blow" lose the rental fee for the week and "John Doe" picks it up? Does "Joe Blow" have to agree to this and just suck up the revenue loss? Or does the large agency eat the loss to keep the customer satisfied?

In most situations it is good to be WIMCO. This season will test their abilities, flexibilities, and client loyalties. IMHO

Thanks Dennis! Is a situation like that part of the price you pay for being represented by a large agency? As in, you get more exposure but you might have to lose some business that was "yours"?

With long experience on the island, including as a hotel "proprietor," I'd like to say that I find this thread of messages to be very valuable, particularly in respect to Tim's #5: Adjust expectations.

For something like the next six months (. . . give or take), St. Barths is not going to be an optimal destination for folks who require a "Four Seasons" cocoon. In this regard, I'm not making a judgment as to personal values, but am giving a "reality-check" thought. As sorry as I am to say it, because of the economic loss that some friends may suffer, I frankly think that lovers of SBH, who need the island's inestimable tourism style, should not return 'til they can be comfortable with changed, and perhaps, diminished conditions. Personally, I want to be with my island friends, offering them support in whatever small ways are possible. "Style," moreover, is what one makes of circumstances.

Dennis,

You are SO correct. "Style", moreover, is what one makes of circumstances. As someone who entertains for a living, working with what one has on hand in times of dire circumstances, brings out the best in everyone (most of the time). Anyone can spend tons of $$$ going out to dine. It is the more clever who can do so with limit resources during trying times. I see a winter of folks visiting places they have never been while the waterfront locales are closed for repairs. Remember back in the days when no one hardly ever spoke of places (myself NOT included) such as Bannaniers, Cote Port, and La Lanqouste, all of which received well deserved accolades the last couple of years. I also see a potential trend in more private chefs being hired and people enjoying staying at their villas with friends. I will look forward to helping support our island service industry folks as well as local groceries and fishermen while getting back in the kitchen and entertaining at home where many of my best SBH memories have been made.

You are so right Kimberly. I look forward to seeing new resto scenes emerging as they take advantage of the new St Barths. Yes, we will miss hotel dining, but supporting the spots that do reopen will be fun and new stars will rise.