Rookie mistake... tight connection

Flyfish

SBH Member
Potential rookie mistake... Travel Monday June 8th via US AIR, arrive 2pm in SXM connecting with StBarthCommuter 3:15pm. Guess my zeal to get to SBH asap with a tight window might pose a problem after reading posts. Checked StBaths Commuter website and later flights are booked. In a perfect world (we are talking about a perfect island) the connection seems tight but possible.

Any tricks/tips to consider? Should I explore the services of Premium IV?
Thanks for your help!

If you can go with carry-on, you should be OK. Otherwise I would definitely contact PremiumIV.

Phil

You have checked luggage I assume. Hire Premium IV asap. They will get your luggage and get it on your plane and you can go directly thru the expedited security after you get your boarding passes at the Transfer information desk. Tell SBC you have carryon and they will point you to the security area.

Thanks for the quick replies...

Carry On= No problem (minus flight delay)
Luggage= Premium IV

I carry on in the states, however, my guess is that I'm accustomed to a more liberal carry on size. Are you required to place under the seat, or do they throw it in the cargo hold below?

If you are talking USAIR they have a luggage rack for size at the gate. If it's too big it's going in the hold. If you are talking SBC they will put it inside the plane if it's bigger than a briefcase but you will get it as soon as you land.

Usually others don't show up due to delays and even though they say they are booked, if you miss your flight, you will probably get on a later one.

If you are talking USAIR they have a luggage rack for size at the gate. If it's too big it's going in the hold. If you are talking SBC they will put it inside the plane if it's bigger than a briefcase but you will get it as soon as you land.

Nobody ever very uses that rack.

Premium IV gives us peace of mind when traveling to SBH. If you arrive on time, then enjoy being treated like a VIP. if you're late, then take comfort that they will you get you over to island as quickly as possible without you having to stress about it.

Seems like the only reason I'd need to check a bag would be due to TSA ounce limits on toiletries, sunscreen, and etc for a 2 week stay... For the price of a checked bag and Premium IV, I can probably buy sunscreen and toiletries at Hermes on island.

Forgive my lack of knowledge regarding Premium IV... Saves me waiting at the carousel? Do they basically grab your bags at Baggage Claim in SXM and make sure it gets to SBC? Any benefits of the service if we still carry on?

With carry on, the benefit is expedited customs service and quick navigation through the airport. They'll usually get you on the first available flight over to SBH; this is a nice benefit if you arrive late. With checked luggage, they retrieve it and take it to your plane. The service is about $100 per person.

If your carryon is too big for St Barth Commuter's Cessna Grand Caravans then they will gate-check it or door-check it at the aircraft. No worries there. Your real concern is the big bird from the US to SXM. If you can carryon there then you'll be fine the whole way if you use the Transfer Desk and Transfer Gate at SXM.

Here's a link to Premium IV's page with airport connection pricing:

http://www.premiumiv.com/st-barts-vip-airport-assistance/

I've known Vincent and Jim, the two principals at Premium IV, for years. On some trips I do a little business with them, and on some trips I don't. Their phone number is stored in my phone as a contact for anything that I can't do myself on SBH, or anything that I just don't care to take the time to do (arranging hors d'oeuvres for sunset cocktails last month, and picking up one of the last six available bottles of Veuve Clicquot Rosé on the island for the same event.). Their associates at the SXM airport have always been there for me when I needed them.

As to the SXM airport, when I'm passing through there by myself with carryon luggage for a 3-5 day solo trip, I just wing it. If I were to pass through there with my wife and checked bags then Premium IV would be part of my planning process.

Nobody ever voluntarily approaches "the thing". However, piss off the gate agent, and you may become involuntarily acquainted with "the thing".

Incredibly helpful... Thanks for all the valuable insight. Hopefully, this will prevent my 9yr old boy from saying... "Dad, how is this gonna work?"

Should be a great father/son trip with a dash of adventure!

I have over 6 million miles of flying and have never seen anyone approach the thing.
The agent doesn't have to use the thing. It's there for intimidation and the agent knows how big or small your carryon is. That's why as you get close to the plane you see bags lined up near the passageway. Those bags go in the hold.

They will however weigh your bags to make sure that you are not over the 22 pound carryon limit. Happened to us on the way over to SBH - we were summoned over to the gate via announcement after going through transit desk/gate. I weighed our bags at home and each bag was a couple of pounds heavier but nothing mentioned by gate agent. All went well.