Google + is dead

JEK

Senior Insider
Google announced Google Photos today and released iOS apps. All the photo functionality from Plus moves over there.

I just spent a few minutes on Google Photos, and it seems to be primarily for photo storage and organization, and not so much for social media. The editing tools are not as complete as + was but are much easier to use. I didn't explore all of the different methods of organization, but one nice feature is that the photos are sorted by the date taken rather than the date they were uploaded. I'm still dissapointed that there is no tool for making collages, but I use Picasa as my primary capture program and it has all of the tools I need. Overall, the app is cleaner and easier to navigate than Google+, which by the way will continue to exist as a social media outlet for photos.

Phil

Not sure G+ is dead, but what they released today is very impressive. Very sophisticated deep learning based machine learning applied to this stuff. All cloud based, but very impressive. Also things like Google Now on Tap are going to be game changers if implemented correctly.

Google Photo got some coverage on the local Fox News channel last night. It appears that Googles PR people are doing their job. I'm looking forward to playing with it over the next couple of weeks.

Phil

I love how it creates stories out of a geotagged series of photos. Plus did all the work, but now those stories are easy to find.

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 12.22.09 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-05-29 at 12.22.09 PM.jpg

JEK -- interesting that as an i* guy, you use google for this. Do you use Google+ / Photo for all of your photo mgmt?

I use Lightroom for all the DSLR photos, but Google is easy to use and free, so I use it in addition to Photos in the iCloud. Also, Facebook backs all my iPhone photos up too. Redundancy is good :)

I was able to make a quick collage last night after your post. It looks like this is going to be a fun and useful app.

Phil