lightning round...

We had been all over the Caribbean- nothing was what we wanted. Reading travel magazines- Conde Nast, Travel and Leisure, Food and Wine. Robb Report and others, reviews on Travel Advisor ... St. Barth kept popping up in small articles here and there. My wife and I discussed it and we agreed to give it a go. Not knowing anything about the Villa life, we researched hotels and settled on Isle de France. Isle de France suggested a private charter from SXM and not knowing any better we booked it. We stayed in the least expensive room of the hotel which was above the tennis courts and lots off mosquito guests and no ocean view. IDF picked us up and we only rented cars daily from the hotel. We were afraid to drive at night so only had dinners in the Flamands area or taxi to other locales but did make it around the island during the day. We remember the Vicar and his wife with their dogs in the sun all day just burning away. We worried about their future dermatology expenses.
We decided we liked it enough to return and booked the cheapest room again. This time we had more courage and journeyed out in a car at night and during the day. On one Sunday brunch at Le Toiny/Gaiac, I told a gentleman I liked his shirt. My wife was upset that I made a personal comment and later he passed by and we have been great friends ever since. We have rented one of their two Villas the following year and may be on our 8th or 9th year renting that same Villa- Fregate in Pte. Milou.
St. Barth forever for us!

We had been all over the Caribbean- nothing was what we wanted. Reading travel magazines- Conde Nast, Travel and Leisure, Food and Wine. Robb Report and others, reviews on Travel Advisor ... St. Barth kept popping up in small articles here and there. My wife and I discussed it and we agreed to give it a go. Not knowing anything about the Villa life, we researched hotels and settled on Isle de France. Isle de France suggested a private charter from SXM and not knowing any better we booked it. We stayed in the least expensive room of the hotel which was above the tennis courts and lots off mosquito guests and no ocean view. IDF picked us up and we only rented cars daily from the hotel. We were afraid to drive at night so only had dinners in the Flamands area or taxi to other locales but did make it around the island during the day. We remember the Vicar and his wife with their dogs in the sun all day just burning away. We worried about their future dermatology expenses.
We decided we liked it enough to return and booked the cheapest room again. This time we had more courage and journeyed out in a car at night and during the day. On one Sunday brunch at Le Toiny/Gaiac, I told a gentleman I liked his shirt. My wife was upset that I made a personal comment and later he passed by and we have been great friends ever since. We have rented one of their two Villas the following year and may be on our 8th or 9th year renting that same Villa- Fregate in Pte. Milou.
St. Barth forever for us!

Great story, “Hopper!” It’s always interesting to read how you, like so many visitors, began their acquaintance with SBH in a hotel, then “graduated” to a villa. On the other hand, when Wendy & I had The Normandie, our client “demographic” included a sizeable number of people who were recycling — early years in a hotel . . . villa years . . . then returning to the intimacy of our small hotel. I’ll add (perhaps have said it previously), Villa Fregate is a charming, lovely spot . . . with very gracious hosts. It’s not a wonder that you & your lovely wife are happy there.

1978 . . . visited on the recommendation of an archeologist friend who had just returned from participating in a "dig" on the island. His travel advice: "You won't need sox, underwear, or a swimming suit!" It was a beautiful, simple place. Electricity went off nightly between about midnight and 7 AM. No large trucks . . . only slow cars & "mini-mokes." No telephones and no credit cards (restaurant owners gave our bills to Brook Lacour, proprietor (with husband Roger) of Sibarth, who paid them and, as we departed the island, said "send a check when you have time"). The "airport" was little more than a short length of white picket fence, where a gendarme met arrivals to check passports. Seating while awaiting departing flights was on primitive benches under the branches of a large tree which remains in place across from the present terminal. The airline company that served the island was Windward Island Airways -- abbreviated "WIA," which locally was said to stand for "When It Arrives." The schedule was notoriously unreliable. We were enchanted by everything.

Dennis, you’re the best !

Ten years later for us. 1988. Lune de miel. Thirty-somethings in love. Villa in Gouverneur. Moke, of course. Adrift in what I recall as an unreal, dreamy world.

We’ve been hit and miss since then with our wanderlust driving us to explore at first, then frequent afterwards, a few favorite, splendid destinations.

We’ve been back and we’ll be back, but it’s just not as compelling for us as it once was.

But, there is something always calling us back.

Dennis, you’re the best !

Ten years later for us. 1988. Lune de miel. Thirty-somethings in love. Villa in Gouverneur. Moke, of course. Adrift in what I recall as an unreal, dreamy world.

We’ve been hit and miss since then with our wanderlust driving us to explore at first, then frequent afterwards, a few favorite, splendid destinations.

We’ve been back and we’ll be back, but it’s just not as compelling for us as it once was.

But, there is something always calling us back.

You’re very kind, Cass! And I totally “get” the wanderlust . . . not to mention “somethings in love” (a magical time). The romance that Wendy & I knew in St. Barths as “youngsters” continues, & as I find growing time away from the “day job,” we’re adding other new & familiar destinations to our travel (while we still can do so!). St. Barths, nonetheless, draws me back to very long time friendships, gentle living, beautiful vistas, and fine dining. Please let me know when you’ll return . . . it would be my pleasure to have some SBH time together.

Back again, now that I've dug through my treasures. Our first visit in 1990, not 1991. My photos of the island are of green hillsides and lovely traditional cases - I couldn't place most of them now that they've been built up.

fullsizeoutput_4053.jpg

We landed on December 25, 1996 for 10 days at the Eden Rock. The hotel owners were opening up gifts when we arrived that late afternoon.
The first night we ate at The Rock and day 2 we didn’t venture out until evening for our 7 pm dinner reservations at Maya’s. There was a torrential downpour as we left for dinner. Not being familiar with the island and no real street signs, I missed the turn above the airport (or actually turned prematurely). The wipers going full speed were not able to keep up with the rain hitting the Suzuki’s windshield as we crept through the darkness. Then, the brightest bolt of lightning lit up the entire sky, and I was able to see I was driving along a ridge and was alarmed by the drop-off at the edge of the road. My wife, with the help of our Fodor’s map, surmised that we were headed in the wrong direction. By the time we arrived at Maya’s I needed 2 Carib’s just to loosen my grip on the steering wheel. We had a fantastic meal, I still recall desert, a poached peach, Wow. When we departed the stars were out and we drove home incident free and we were hooked.
Speaking of desert, I attempted to make Profiteroles from “Paradise Found” yesterday for my daughter’s 20th birthday; they turned out like flat pancakes. She still loved them, as I had to compensate with additional chocolate sauce and ice cream. I'm not sure where I went wrong.

Try a cream puff recipe and think smaller shell. You are on the right track. Good luck.��

November 2006, our 10[SUP]th[/SUP] wedding anniversary.
Transiting through SXM that first trip was interesting. Fortunately we were aware of the obstacles, thanks to this forum, and had secured VIP service that got us on the last flight to SBH. After meeting our WIMCO agent and getting our rental car, it was dark and rainy, making the drive to the villa in Camaruche a bit dicey. And, the entrance to the villa was at a tricky intersection. After arriving at the villa, my husband said “I don’t think we’re going to leave this villa”. The next morning, the sun was shining, the luggage arrived and a Siamese cat showed up by the pool. We ventured out to explore the island and over the next 10 days something magical happened. Something I can’t quite explain. Whatever it is, it keeps us coming back, every November.
In 2008 we had the pleasure of staying at Villa La Baleine for the first time. It’s become our home away from home, and we adore our little furry friends that come to visit us when we’re there. It’s no secret that Rosita is the most charming and beyond helpful host...and one of the reasons we keep coming back. Some other reasons; bagguetes, croissants, rosé, cheese, the night sky and driving around the island with the top down. Though we miss Andy’s, The Wall House and Do Brazil, there are still so many wonderful reasons to return each year. Like the beaches! Colombier is our favorite, and the trek there has improved since our first visit! The views along the way are breathtaking, and the reward for the 30-minute hike is a picture-perfect cove filled with an enchanting turquoise-blue water that evokes the most relaxing feeling I’ve ever known.
Last November, we brought our adult children with us for Thanksgiving. It was without a doubt, the best Thanksgiving ever. Sharing this little paradise with them was an absolute joy, and just thinking about it makes my heart swell.
We just love our visits to SBH, and it’s just 106 days until we return!

Our first adventure in St Barth was a day sail from St Maarten in 1984. We toured the island with M. Constant Gumbs. He dropped us at Chez Francine for a memorable lunch and we were in love with the island. The following year we returned and stayed at VSJ. We were met at the airport by Matthew Aubin with our rental car. It was May Day and everything was closed. He kindly opened his grocery for us, let us select what we need and told us to pay whenever convenient next week.those were the slow lazy days. We became villa people after that. We started bringing our daughter when she was eight. She loves it like we do and was engaged on the Pt Milou rock in 2012. We are over forty trips in and never tire of our favorite island. Can’t wait to introduce our very young granddaughters in a few years. Special thanks to Dennis and David for introducing us to La Gloriette years ago. Many memorable lunches. Some years later we met the wonderfully charming Wendy. We have stayed all over the island and have special memories of all corners. Our next trip is on the books and the planning has started

Wonderful memories and a chance to make. Ew ones with your grandchild..priceless. So happy for your family.

Our first adventure in St Barth was a day sail from St Maarten in 1984. We toured the island with M. Constant Gumbs. He dropped us at Chez Francine for a memorable lunch and we were in love with the island. The following year we returned and stayed at VSJ. We were met at the airport by Matthew Aubin with our rental car. It was May Day and everything was closed. He kindly opened his grocery for us, let us select what we need and told us to pay whenever convenient next week.those were the slow lazy days. We became villa people after that. We started bringing our daughter when she was eight. She loves it like we do and was engaged on the Pt Milou rock in 2012. We are over forty trips in and never tire of our favorite island. Can’t wait to introduce our very young granddaughters in a few years. Special thanks to Dennis and David for introducing us to La Gloriette years ago. Many memorable lunches. Some years later we met the wonderfully charming Wendy. We have stayed all over the island and have special memories of all corners. Our next trip is on the books and the planning has started

Merci for your kind remembrances! Keep us posted on your next trip schedule!

Back again, now that I've dug through my treasures. Our first visit in 1990, not 1991. My photos of the island are of green hillsides and lovely traditional cases - I couldn't place most of them now that they've been built up.

View attachment 49965

. . . loved “El Sereno!” Had a great sushi bar for a while, & it was a favorite late night hangout of Rudolf Nureyev (always with a “posse”). Fun to be a bystander.

Amy and Dennis, thanks for the kind responses. We will definitely be back mid April and “ juggling” for a November 2019 trip. Happy dilemmas to try to work out. Best to you

From 2006-2009 my wife and I visited the Grand Lido Braco in Jamaica and made many great friends. This resort was known for it's "au natural" side and we very much enjoyed the beach/pool sans clothing. In 2010 the resort closed and we had to find a new place to sunbath. We chose St Martin and on a speed boat/snorkel day trip the guide pointed out St Barths and mentioned that there were some great beaches (a couple where you could go "au natural"), it's small, fun to get around and very quiet. Well, that checked all the boxes for us so in 2011 we decided to give it a try. I did a lot of googling and found this site. Booked a villa (Case Du Roy) for June 2011 and the rest is history. We loved that first vacation driving around (getting lost a lot) finding beaches, views, etc. We fell in love with Select and the great people watching. We've tried out a few other islands since but always like to return to SBH. I'm turning 50 next year and I'm debating between Anguilla, St Barths, or sailing the BVI (something I've always wanted to do). I have a few months to decide since my bday is not until July, but I'd like to figure it out sooner rather than later to get stuff booked!

From 2006-2009 my wife and I visited the Grand Lido Braco in Jamaica and made many great friends. This resort was known for it's "au natural" side and we very much enjoyed the beach/pool sans clothing. In 2010 the resort closed and we had to find a new place to sunbath. We chose St Martin and on a peed boat/snorkel day trip the guide pointed out St Barths and mentioned that there were some great beaches (a couple where you could go "au natural"), it's small, fun to get around and very quiet. Well, that checked all the boxes for us so in 2011 we decided to give it a try. I did a lot of googling and found this site. Booked a villa (Case Du Roy) for June 2011 and the rest is history. We loved that first vacation driving around (getting lost a lot) finding beaches, views, etc. We fell in love with Select and the great people watching. We've tried out a few other islands since but always like to return to SBH. I'm turning 50 next year and I'm debating between Anguilla, St Barths, or sailing the BVI (something I've always wanted to do). I have a few months to decide since my bday is not until July, but I'd like to figure it out sooner rather than later to get stuff booked!

Leep, always nice to try new places, but if SBH is your happy place, perhaps that's what you should choose for the birthday celebration. But on the other hand, try something different like AXA or the 'something I've always wanted to do' for your special birthday...sailing in the BVI...hmmmm, I'd choose Paris, just not in July. If not Paris, then SBH my 1st choice tho many times.

jpa- Thank you for starting one of the most fun and enjoyable threads we have had on the Forum for a while! Hats off to you!