ONE INJURED BY A GUN IN SAINT-JEAN

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 5.08.03 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2022-09-29 at 5.08.44 PM.jpg

I'm going to assume that this is some internal grievance between the two parties and doesn't impact the overall safety profile of St Barth, until I hear otherwise.

But, it is concerning that Ledee has been asking for greater police protection for the last several months because to him this type of violence is "not a surprise." It is also concerning that random residents have guns at all. Both of these indicate drug gang activity (not speaking of this current shooting of which I know nothing.)

In any event, I am sad for both of the parties involved in this incident, and hope the victim recovers well . I also hope it remains an extremely rare event.

I remember a shooting in the heights of Vitet some years ago that ended in death.

I remember is shooting in the heights of Vitet some years ago that ended in death.
Unfortunately, real world issues are reaching St.Barts. When we started visiting in the early 80's many people wouldn't lock cars or villas.

Yes, the real world has found our happy place. A fight, gunS pulled, someone actually drawing and firing a gun and shooting someone, that’s SERIOUS CRIME. and they should be dealt with severely. And quickly.

Someone falling off of a scooter, to me that’s how you get an INJURY.

The 0ne in Vitet was near Tim The Moderator’s villa and it was a family affair.

I remember a shooting in the heights of Vitet some years ago that ended in death.

shooting ? I remember it as a stabbing…. A domestic, one guy playing games with another guy’s girlfriend (wife) … And I think it was right in front of Tim’s house.

If this is the event in question, here is a link to a Le Journal story on the affair. https://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/UF/00/09/57/74/00185/00002-17-2010.pdf

article suggests origin of unfortunate chain of events was an argument about a noisy public disturbance.

Yes, here is more detail about the 2007 incident. Summary: 23 year old is making excessive noise with his car at 5AM. Neighbors object. He continues. Noisy car man ends up dead. Killer ends up in jail. Many lessons for all of us.

[h=1]Macabre discovery in Saint-Barthélemy[/h]The lifeless body of Steeve Boufard-Roupe was found Monday morning in Vitet. The autopsy revealed that he was stabbed to death.
[ Wednesday 11 Apr 2007, 07:28 | DOMactu.com | By Albert Philippe]
A stab wound under the left armpit. This is the mortal blow to the victim who had his lung punctured.
This 23-year-old arrived on the island last December, apparently making quite a racket with his car on Monday around 5am. Several residents of the neighborhood testify to the inconvenience caused by this noise. And even arguments with the future victim.
It is these testimonies which lead the gendarmes to arrest a young man of 27 years, of Brazilian origin, and his partner.
Some say that when they had already asked Steeve Bouffard-Roupe to stop his annoying noise, he started again. Which would have had the gift of annoying the young Brazilian, who came out with a knife. This is when the tragedy would have taken place.
The murder weapon has not been found. The investigation is continuing to determine the exact causes of the altercation which apparently led to the tragedy.

Albert Philippe - DOMactu.com

I live here too and would not leave my car unlocked with anything of value in it...

I also lock the doors,... but on a more positive note, the rental of convertibles on St Barth is a sign that petty crime is low. Other islands can't rent them because it is too tempting for people to cut open the roofs to grab stuff inside. For a while on St Martin (which we also go to and enjoy) they recommended to leave windows rolled down and nothing in the cars so that the windows would not get smashed. Fortunately they have improved their situation since then so the window smashing is gone, but they are still not to convertible renting safety levels.

I live here too and would not leave my car unlocked with anything of value in it...
I've never locked my car and there's even always a bunch of euro coins in it. Never had anything stolen, so based on my data, it's still totally fine to leave it unlocked :D

I've never locked my car and there's even always a bunch of euro coins in it. Never had anything stolen, so based on my data, it's still totally fine to leave it unlocked

and you would leave your wallet, passport, iPhone, iPad, laptop, and recent purchases from a jewelry store in an unlocked car? asking for a friend :D