Which parts of island get less breeze?

Scotik

SBH Insider
In 2017 a couple weeks before Irma hit, we rented a beach front rental on Lorient beach. The whole time, there was a strong breeze with sand in our eyes and plates with food in danger of being turned over in the front patio. Additionally I am from the Caribbean and get cold easily. It wasn’t a good trip. Planning our next trip and looking for a villa rental with good sea views, pool and one that doesn’t get a lot of breeze. Ironically this is probably the opposite of most who want a good breeze. Any suggestions which side or area of the island I should focus on? Planning to visit mid April.

At that period I think the trade winds from East Northeast still prevalent? You want to be in the lee of something. A ridge, some structures, etc. Would suggest studying a topographical map of island. Just as an example, the eastern side of Point Milou can generally be expected to receive more breeze that the western side.

Maybe go for a western facing villa too. A few years ago I visited some friends who were staying above Corrosol and while they had nice views of the harbor, they mentioned that it got very warm (inside the villa) in the afternoon and early evening.

Going to be hard to predict which direction the wind is coming from. Good sea views also works against what you are looking for. Maybe take Cassidain's advice and look at a topo map based upon an E-NE wind. Key point here will be figuring out specifically where a villa is based upon available photos and available Google Earth maps.

We stayed high in Flamands a few years ago and I swear the worlds energy problems could have been solved with a wind turbine on top of the villa. We stayed above Corrosol a few weeks ago and the wind was much more manageable. The villa was south facing and did heat up very quickly if the AC wasn't on and the doors/windows were closed.

At that period I think the trade winds from East Northeast still prevalent?...

Daytime(7AM - 7PM) wind statistics for April:
IMG_2849.jpeg

For the year:
IMG_2852.jpeg

Much of the time, you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows. Biggest variation from ENE is in the Fall - e.g., October:
IMG_2841.jpeg

December has some N and NNE winds:
IMG_2842.jpeg

Statistics for all months found at Windfinder.com

Thank you Izzy. Guess I just overlay on the island?

You could, if you are more photoshop-literate than me.

I would just look at the prevailing wind directions as a general indicator that west facing on leeward side of the island should be better as Bart notes but be very aware that topography is a very big additional consideration as Cass suggests. It will be very hard to predict for individual properties.

I would just look at the prevailing wind directions as a general indicator that west facing on leeward side of the island should be better as Bart notes but be very aware that topography is a very big additional consideration as Cass suggests. It will be very hard to predict for individual properties.

agree. we stayed in a property in les hauts de saint-jean and assumed we would have constant cooling, mosquito-chasing breezes. unfortunately, the property was westward oriented, and the easterly breezes were blocked by the structure itself.

We've stayed almost exclusively on the west side of Pointe Milou in the February and March time frame. The winds are calm, temps are great, and the sunsets are pretty special. Enjoy! Tom

PS: Less wind can result in more mosquito action, so be advised.

We stay on the Magras hillside in Colombier......very calm, high up and beautiful sunset/Gustavia views.....Villa Baleine, Villa L'Enclos, Villa Hurrican, Villa Dan are a few owned by Rosita and her family.

As already commented on, the amount of mosquitoes directly correlate inversely to the amount of wind. If the island did not have wind we wouldn’t come but that is why there are 31 flavors!

Thank you all for the advice. We like the breeze, but when it’s so strong that it blows over your wine glasses, if you have food on plates and the plates blow off the table. That’s too much. A nice mild breeze is good.