The continuation of Eve's embedded report

cec1

Senior Insider
She does not, but she and her whole family had Covid this past March so we're not worried.

Phil

. . . curious as to whether there's any data about how long Covid-related antibodies survive vs. vaccine antibodies. Anyone know?

Re: A few observations from embedded reporter

. . . curious as to whether there's any data about how long Covid-related antibodies survive vs. vaccine antibodies. Anyone know?

When considering this in the context of your prior question, keep in mind that asymptomatic spread from someone with antibodies can still be a concern.

Development of antibodies after vaccination has been more predictable than after infection.

Nearly 100% seroconversion following vaccination has been shown in studies such as this and this (various conditions lower this likelihood, some markedly).

A recent study that reported that antibodies did not develop in 36% of COVID cases of differing severities and this study that reported seroconversion in nearly all cases of mild and moderate disease indicate the extremes of what has been observed following infection.

Because natural infection produces antibodies to not just the S protein used for vaccines and because there are additional components of the immune system, the question of vaccine vs. natural immunity does not end here.

Advocates of vaccination for those with prior infection cite this recent study showing that those who have had COVID and are not vaccinated are more than twice as likely than those who are fully vaccinated to be reinfected. Conversely this study reports stronger and more durable protection from natural immunity than vaccination (although it also provided support for single dose mRNA vaccination to augment natural immunity).

When considering this in the context of your prior question, keep in mind that asymptomatic spread from someone with antibodies can still be a concern.

Development of antibodies after vaccination has been more predictable than after infection.

Nearly100% seroconversion following vaccination has been shown in studies such as this and this (some underlying conditions can obviously reduce the likelihood of seroconversion).

A recent study that reported that antibodies did not develop in 36% of COVID cases of differing severities and this study that reported seroconversion in nearly all cases of mild and moderate disease indicate the extremes of what has been observed following infection.

Because natural infection produces antibodies to not just the S protein used for vaccines and because there are additional components of the immune system, the question of vaccine vs. natural immunity does not end here.

Advocates of vaccination for those with prior infection cite this recent study showing that those who have had COVID and are not vaccinated are more than twice as likely than those who are fully vaccinated to be reinfected. Conversely this study reports stronger and more durable protection from natural immunity than vaccination (although it also provided support for single dose mRNA vaccination to augment natural immunity).

Thanks, Izzy. Very helpful data.

Nearly 100% seroconversion following vaccination has been shown in studies such as this and this (various conditions lower this likelihood, some markedly).

Thank you, Izzy!

She does not, but she and her whole family had Covid this past March so we're not worried.

Phil
Read Izzy above. She can become reinfected easier than having the vaccination.

Yes, Izzy knows best. Even some very public figures who were infected went on to receive the vaccine.

Maybe you should all stop watching American news 24/7.
I’m so glad I am here

Maybe you should all stop watching American news 24/7.
I’m so glad I am here

I would love to be there too! Enjoy!

BTW, Izzy cites scientific studies, not the MSM.

Unfortunately I know more than I need to about COVID due to my work responsibilities, not the news.

These papers say the opposite Andy. The papers say that among people who have all been infected, those who are also vaccinated are half as likely to get re-infected. It is an argument to get vaccinated even if you already had the sickness. Separately, they also say that those who are vaccinated but have never been infected are 5-27 times more likely to get a breakthrough case compared to the likelihood of an unvaccinated person who had been infected are of getting re-infected. The range of a previously infected but unvaccinated person being 5 to 27 times safer than a vaccinated-only person depends on a whole pile of things including how long it was from the vaccination because their effectiveness seems to decay over time, but this paper and other similar ones seem to leave no doubt that having previously caught covid is a much stronger defense than the vaccine by itself.

Studies like these are what are putting pressure on governments to accept a previous infection as a valid equivalency for the vaccine passports, since they are far safer to the general public than a mere vaccinated person.

These papers say the opposite Andy. The papers say that among people who have all been infected, those who are also vaccinated are half as likely to get re-infected. It is an argument to get vaccinated even if you already had the sickness. Separately, they also say that those who are vaccinated but have never been infected are 5-27 times more likely to get a breakthrough case compared to the likelihood of an unvaccinated person who had been infected are of getting re-infected. The range of a previously infected but unvaccinated person being 5 to 27 times safer than a vaccinated-only person depends on a whole pile of things including how long it was from the vaccination because their effectiveness seems to decay over time, but this paper and other similar ones seem to leave no doubt that having previously caught covid is a much stronger defense than the vaccine by itself.

Studies like these are what are putting pressure on governments to accept a previous infection as a valid equivalency for the vaccine passports, since they are far safer to the general public than a mere vaccinated person.

Sorry but I disagree. The CDC study in Izzy’s post shows a higher degree of protection for vaccination than one who was infected. The other article has not been peer reviewed and is not considered a scientific study.

This thread is no longer an SBH specific thread. More appropriate for EE.

This thread is no longer an SBH specific thread. More appropriate for EE.

Do not agree. Based on all this I would demand that maids wear masks when cleaning the villa. Others may want to read all this and make their own decisions, but it is germane to the island.

We’ll agree to disagree. Nothing unusual there.
i assume only vaxxed femmes de chambre for you ?

We’ll agree to disagree. Nothing unusual there.
i assume only vaxxed femmes de chambre for you ?

It isn’t about me, it is about full disclosure on a visitor’s options.

Based on all this I would demand that maids wear masks when cleaning the villa.

Based on all that I have read and experienced, I would demand that maids not wear masks when cleaning my villa. De préférence, not vaxxed either. YMMV

Sorry but I disagree. The CDC study in Izzy’s post shows a higher degree of protection for vaccination than one who was infected. The other article has not been peer reviewed and is not considered a scientific study.

Hi Andy,
The title of the CDC paper is "Reduced Risk of Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 After COVID-19 Vaccination," where 'reinfection' of course means someone getting sick with Covid a second time, refers only to how people who have been previously infected and shows how they are better protected if they also get a vaccine. It does not discuss your claim that the vaccine by itself is more protective than a previous infection. The other paper, which I had also read at your suggestion, reports the opposite of your claim. I agree it is being held up through peer review (some feel the delay is for political reasons, others for scientific.) I'm happy to hold off on anointing it as gospel until the negative complaints have been made public (it is frustrating that this paper of significant importance has lingered in review for almost 2 months. Either spike it with a clear flaw, or 'follow the science' as they say.) In the mean time, can you point me to the research you found that shows vaccinated people are better protected from a first infection than Covid survivors are from a reinfection? I looked and couldn't find any.