QG Lunch 1/15/2020 Extremely Poor Service Today

dadto6

Senior Insider
After reviewing the specials page this morning, Thank you Andy, we elected QG because both their specials agreed with our group of 11. I proceeded to make a reservation for lunch. We arrived and our group were promptly seated at 12:32. We were provided menus around 12:35. Unfortunately, no one came to speak with us for 30-minutes. We were obviously in a conspicuous location, table for 11 on the main aisle leading from the entrance back to the kitchen. No one made eye contact, asked us if we wanted drinks or water. Even the Owner was cleaning off a table adjacent to ours, surely, he should have noticed we had nothing in the way of services. I became frustrated at 1:02, 30-minutes after our arrival. I gathered up our group and we promptly departed. As I was leaving, a waiter said are you finished? I replied "no one has even asked us for drink selections", he gave me a hand gesture like leave then. I can understand off days, but nothing seems out of the ordinary this day. Same wait staff, same Owner, others were getting their food and drinks. No weather calamity or power outage, etc.

I sent the others back to the Villa to set up tables with silverware and glasses. Obviously, we have two vehicles. I immediately drove to Les Bananiers, ordered up a variety of pizza's from Remy, couple of Truffle Crème Fettuccine with Parmesan Cheese lunch specials, couple of cheeseburgers with frites. Meanwhile, I enjoyed a refreshing Mojito Royal while I waited in the lounge area next to Remy's work station. I timed it, 21-minutes from order to exiting with take away bags/boxes in hand.

No axe to grind here, just reporting the facts.

No excuses for QG, especially with a reservation for your numbers. Can't miss a table for 11...their loss, Bananiers gain. Glad you walked, I think I would have said something to the owner on my way out !

saying something on this site is better than saying something to the owner. word of mouth will make a restaurant wake up and if not, they go down the drain eventually.

Absolutely shameful, full stop. I feel badly for your lovely family having to be treated so rudely. You’re a true gentleman, which we already knew, and not surprised by your grace in this situation. QG’s loss only. I’m sure you all enjoyed a delicious lunch from Bananiers at your villa!

DT6, I am sorry to read about your experience. I am learning from your posts this week as I have to feed five adults next month. I can't image a family of 11.

I won't dine at QG for lunch again. The last time we ate lunch there, we were surrounded by five tables of heavy smokers. I started struggling to breathe and had an asthma attack. We asked the staff to be moved and they were rude to us.

L'Isoletta has a lovely 20 euro lunch special which includes a salad, a panini, pasta or three slices of pizza, a glass of wine or beer and a small dessert and coffee.

Again I hope that is available in April. It is nice to see resonably priced lunches on St. Barts.

Hello Kent,
Check out the LeNews, it is available everyday on-line in english. There are many listings daily of lunch specials, mostly priced under 20-Euros which include drink (soda/juice), food and coffee. We find it enjoyable to dine a more local establishments for lunch, always generous portions at excellent prices.

Darn those smokers and those restaurants that ask us non smokers to breathe the smoke while we dine there. We vote with our feet!

It would be smart for QG as well as other restaurant owners and managers to be on these types of forums.

Could this be the reason for poor service?

195631FF-FA67-4FA2-954B-C7637BAFF89C.jpeg

The turnover and difficulty in finding staffing is a pretty remarkable development . . . I don't recall ever seeing the issue, to the large degree that it is this season. I gather that it's principally driven by a lack of affordable housing on the island.

Astute observation Dennis, you should know best and recognize the signs.

Regarding QG, when we were attempting to dine there last week, the same three woman and two men whom were servicing the tables was the same as last season. No turnover that I could recognize on the server front.

We ate there for dinner on the evening of Sunday, 1/12 after an enjoyable day at Nikki Beach. It was pretty empty (which was surprising given there aren't a ton of options for Sunday night dining) and while the service was fine, I was disappointed to see they had just changed the menu and the risotto with mushrooms and scallops is no longer offered. Everyone seemed to enjoy their meal but I had my heart set on that risotto dish. I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience.

Hello agenova,
in 30-minutes we did not even get the chance to look at a menu. Sorry to hear you did not get the dish you had your heart set upon. We have always enjoyed the food at QG.