Back on SBH

cec1

Senior Insider
. . . returned yesterday (Wednesday) after a very early wakeup in Jacksonville. Sleeping all the way to Atlanta . . . then most of the way to SJU . . . and even en route with Tradewind to St. Barths! It’s getting dark here quite early, it seems . . . so trip from the airport to the Villa was at dusk. Lights coming on everywhere . . . an enchanting & welcoming arrival scene.

A brief swim . . . then to early dinner at L’Esprit. Still feeling a bit tired, I opt’d for a taxi to / from the restaurant— David Bardon (0-690-06 66 66). Beautiful car . . . very nice guy, whom I’ve known a long time . . . and quick service. (Thank you Premium IV for arranging!)

Jean Claude at L’Esprit has covered a small, undistinguished garden, formerly adjacent to the bar, with an elegantly simple deck (made, I think, of ipe wood), which greatly expands the space where guests can assemble for drinks before going to a table. It’s very gracious & provided, as well, suitably “socially distanced” space for patrons. Before diving into my favorite pre-dinner, refreshing cocktail (new bartender, Mathieu, is charming & knows what he’s doing!), I wore my handsome new L’Avion mask.

Dinner . . . so much can be said, as I’ve written so many times. Exquisite foie gras . . . fabulous veal . . . great wine. I’m already thinking about my next meal there!
66CF9ECC-60E8-4CA6-B1F5-0C2F22E872DF.jpg

Terrific travel day, Dennis. Good to have you and your commentaries back on the turf.

One of my favorite meals at one of my favorite restaurants. Keep on posting...I’m living vicariously.

Nice!

In my experience, it's not unusual to talk about tomorrow's dinner while eating tonight's dinner. We do live meal-to-meal on St Barth, LOL.

Worst case, one should discuss tonight's dinner while having today's lunch earlier in the day.

Joking aside, I'm thinking that during this season, more-so than in any other, reservations are highly recommended. I'm sure that you will never have a problem getting a table anywhere, but I'm interested in your observations as to restaurant practices for reservations, walk-ins, and contact tracing (names/numbers of diners are supposed to be collected and held for 15 days).

Again joking aside, I can think of several SBH restaurants who could find my name and SBH mobile number without having to dig too deep in their records/emails, so my name/number is already out there with them.

Wonderful to hear, Dennis. Enjoy. We know you will. Looking forward to your sharing. Already experienced an "aaahhhhh" from your first post.

I enjoy "sharing" meals with you. You have a way of describing the atmosphere, tastes, and aromas, which makes the full experience come into my home.

The lighting in the background of your picture really captures the mood. Can’t wait to visit again and see the new addition!

Nice!

. . . I'm interested in your observations as to restaurant practices for reservations, walk-ins, and contact tracing (names/numbers of diners are supposed to be collected and held for 15 days). . .

Timely point, Kevin! As I had lunch today at Cafe Gloriette (wonderful tuna tartare & asparagus risotto), a book was presented to me (& other patrons) in which we had to enter our names, our times of entering the restaurant, & our phone numbers. I haven’t had the experience elsewhere, but it likely has been because each of my dinners has been “booked” in advance (even if only an hour ahead), with name & telephone number given with each reservation. Clearly, some are seriously trying to be on the front line of “tracing,” as it may be needed.

Clearly, some are seriously trying to be on the front line of “tracing,” as it may be needed.
as required by gendarmes, but a lot of people are writing faux names, TinTin and Milou have been out and about a lot lately!

Thanks, Dennis, for a bit of vicarious living for a lot of us! Beautiful word images! Love your mask!