To Go Or Not To Go?

stbartshopper

Senior Insider
Sunsets, beaches, sea life, nature, iguanas, goats, sunrises, rain, lizards, the washing machine, waves… don’t know about covid. We think we do? ;)
Do we go or do we not? :thinking1:
Life is short but we want to live it!
On the other hand….

Since we are approaching max hurricane probability and many closures for September and October, the tourist season is largely over as are many seasonal jobs. Hopefully this will result in better times when season 21/22 commences in November.

Since we are approaching max hurricane probability and many closures for September and October, the tourist season is largely over as are many seasonal jobs. Hopefully this will result in better times when season 21/22 commences in November.

my friends are still renting out their villas. the season is slow, but definitely not over. so many tourists on the island right now, more than in previous years.

We are still planning on going.

We are a fully vaccinated family of 5 leaving from three different cities in the U.S. on three different airlines for SXM and then SBH on Friday, August 13. And, while there are many tests to pass, forms to fill out, lines to wait in, planes to catch, and restrictions to deal with, the thought of relaxing by the pool at our villa after completing all of these necessary obstacles seems to make it all worthwhile.

Will there be some anxious moments as we await the test results on the back-end of the trip? Absolutely. We are not concerned about our health but the inconvenience and impact a delayed return (due to a positive test result) would cause to our daily lives. Many work and work-related commitments await. Kids need to attend college. Dog sitter has other plans, etc. But, that will not stop us from going and enjoying this island paradise.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

We are returning come heck or high water on November 6 after cancelling 4 times since April 2020..we are vaccinated and will do all required testing....we are looking forward to returning to our special place, it is much needed...

We are returning come heck or high water on November 6 after cancelling 4 times since April 2020..we are vaccinated and will do all required testing....we are looking forward to returning to our special place, it is much needed...

Same for us! April, 2022 can't get here fast enough.

So far, we are full steam ahead for November. Not that we aren't talking about it every day and wondering if we should have waited one more year. And then we start talking about the feeling you get as you step off the plane in St. Jean, the warm air circling around you, your appetite suddenly piqued, a relaxation permeating your body. And we tell ourselves that three months is a while and we can cancel later on if we need to. We've isolated, tested, vaxxed, and tested again. We are ready to go. We also are ready to accept if the world does not accommodate us this time around. But that air...

I guess we are the opposite of everyone here.

We had a general outline to make a visit in February 2021 when COVID hit in March of 2020. Luckily nothing was booked and we decided to pause our trip until later (pessimistically thinking it would be February 2023). Now, with the current outbreaks 2023 doesn't look good and we are not sure we will ever step foot on the island again. I am an independent consultant and until there are a lot less hoops to jump through we are not interested in stepping on a plane.

I am glad to hear that the island is very busy though. Hopefully hurricane season will provide enough of a break.... without storms.... and allow the island to calm things down on the virus front.

If here is the Forum in general, I think there more than a few thinking along those lines. We have nothing booked for 2022 and are looking forward to 2023.

We were there in Feb. 2020 for 3 weeks and all was perfect.
We canceled 2021 and all was either refunded or tickets extended to 12/31/22 for both AA and TW. We rebooked 2022 and are hoping to return. Just don’t know.
Unfortunately human behavior and the virus will decide for us.

I guess we are the opposite of everyone here.

We had a general outline to make a visit in February 2021 when COVID hit in March of 2020. Luckily nothing was booked and we decided to pause our trip until later (pessimistically thinking it would be February 2023). Now, with the current outbreaks 2023 doesn't look good and we are not sure we will ever step foot on the island again. I am an independent consultant and until there are a lot less hoops to jump through we are not interested in stepping on a plane.

I am glad to hear that the island is very busy though. Hopefully hurricane season will provide enough of a break.... without storms.... and allow the island to calm things down on the virus front.
"(pessimistically thinking it would be February 2023). Now, with the current outbreaks 2023 doesn't look good and we are not sure we will ever step foot on the island again"

Wow. Feb 2023 (a year and a half from now) "not looking good" is indeed somewhat pessimistic. Never again is a whole other level...
I hope you do get back some day soon

"(pessimistically thinking it would be February 2023). Now, with the current outbreaks 2023 doesn't look good and we are not sure we will ever step foot on the island again"

Wow. Feb 2023 (a year and a half from now) "not looking good" is indeed somewhat pessimistic. Never again is a whole other level...
I hope you do get back some day soon

or hold off till 2024, the year all vaccine companies lose their protection against lawsuits.

In other words- there is thought the successful propagating of the virus is dependent on human behavior- transmission, development of variants, severity of disease. Therefore if humans ‘behaved’ the virus would be ‘tamed.’ On the other hand, viruses are alive; want to survive and don’t depend on human behavior to thrive. We don’t know the answers- we can only hope that improving our behavior in line with medical advice will decrease the adverse impacts of the pandemic.

or hold off till 2024, the year all vaccine companies lose their protection against lawsuits.

Ah, Didier, what is the year I can sue someone for not being vaccinated and spreading the virus unimpeded like a reckless driver in a pedestrian zone?