Ferries not enforcing compelling reason restrictions?

garykool81

SBH Insider
While doing some research this morning, I noticed an interesting change. What previously were very specific requirements listed on the websites of ferry operators noting that the compelling reasons did still apply to non-resident travelers have been completely removed. Instead, both operators are simply stating that compelling reasons are no longer required or make no mention of it at all. They no longer specify that non-residents must provide accepted proof of a compelling reason for travel.

Can one assume that the port authority / immigration in Gustavia are simply not enforcing this rule for those arriving by boat? it seems odd that the mention of non-residents requiring a compelling reason for travel to St. Barts or St. Martin has been quietly removed.

Cap1.JPG

Cap2.JPG

Interesting. where did you find that top bit of information with the 4 days in St Martin? Is that on the Voyager site or elsewhere?

Interesting. where did you find that top bit of information with the 4 days in St Martin? Is that on the Voyager site or elsewhere?

That one is from https://www.greatbayferry.com/

I've been watching on Instagram as these affluenza teens go back and forth on their private boat from St. Martin to St. Barts for the past two weeks now and wondering how the heck they're getting away with it, which prompted me to check the ferry websites under the impression that maybe rules weren't being enforced on arrivals by boat vs. air.

Mmmmm, interesting. I wonder what response tourists are getting at immigration at the airport? Even though we still have our flights we don’t have a villa booked and it’s a long way to fly and expense to book the villa to be turned away at the airport. Don’t think we’re going to risk it.

not just the ferries and the planes that are full, I have seen boats letting people with luggage off at saline beach and other beaches on the island. seems to be a new trend. no immigration at saline.

This thread is quite puzzling, for both those desiring to travel to the island as well as those who live on the island needing to understand in order to operate their businesses and go on with their daily lives.
As it is such a small island, the government could quickly clarify one way or the other with actions rather than inactions.
To echo Ellen - ‘Strange’ times.

Hopefully it’s not the Venezuelans now entering st barths . The have been landing in Trinidad on all the beaches via boats. The Trinidad boarder have been closed since last March

Hopefully it’s not the Venezuelans now entering st barths . The have been landing in Trinidad on all the beaches via boats. The Trinidad boarder have been closed since last March

nope, its americans decked out in a lot of jewelry with louis vuitton bags..so no worries there. looks like a lucrative business for some boat owners in sxm.