Island Reopening

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Martin is open. There are no border checkpoints between St Maarten and St Martin. However, my understanding is that US tourists can neither fly from SFG, the French-side airport, to SBH, nor take the ferry between Marigot and Gustavia. To clarify, tourists cannot use St Martin as a back door to St Barth.

Belinda and Kmasliah - - -did you see the note from Kevin?

So, just to understand this before I go in full panic mode lol, Kevin do you mean whilst St Barth is closed you can’t come in that way? Assuming St Barth opens in April we still can’t ? Or assuming St Barth opens we can then?

Correct, while St Barth is closed, tourists can't travel there through St Martin without one of the "motifs imperieux", compelling reasons, which include returning to a residence (homeowners), family reunification, medical, or certain unavoidable employment responsibilities.

In the days of COVID, nothing travel-related seems certain, especially when major decisions are being made by politicians 4000 miles away. If France opens the door to St Barth in April, then the door to St Barth through St Martin likely opens for tourists too.

If you’re on Facebook, search for Préfet 97133 and you’ll find the FB page for the Préfet of Saint-Barthelemy et Saint-Martin. I find more useful COVID-related information there than on any webpage.

I would stay in Saint Martin if Saint Barth remains closed, there are lots of villas for rent , I’ve been looking into that as a back up plan......

We are still hoping for Memorial Day US. However willing to move to June or July which in the past I would never do because of hurricane season. All options on the table...not sure how we would respond missing St. Barth 2 years in a row. I know many on this site share this angst.

We always go the last 2 weeks in August. Lovely time there. Quiet, mostly French visitors.

Le Journal is reporting that a decision on reopening will be made on March 15. The article below is copied from this week's edition of Le Journal, as translated by Google. Note that while the headline may say "decisive date", after reading the article I think that "decision date" would be a better translation.

https://www.journaldesaintbarth.com/

Border opening: March 15, decisive date
During a private telephone conversation with the President of the Collectivité Bruno Magras, the Minister of Overseas Territories had evoked the date of March 15 to make a "progress report" on the establishment of the compelling reasons to go to the island and possibly reverse the government's decision. Bruno Magras had mentioned it during the Territorial Council of February 19 (JSB 1412). The Prefect of the Northern Islands recently officially confirmed this: it is on March 15 that the state services will assess the health rules in force on our islands and may decide, perhaps, to change them.

Status
Not open for further replies.