Best options for a vegetarian

dhring

SBH Member
Our group for February will include one person who is a vegetarian. I realize there are vegetarian options at most if not all of the restos. However, I've never paid close attention to the range of choices. What particular places would the Forum hive-mind suggest for a mixed group of carnivores and a vegetarian? Thanks in advance.

Though not vegetarian, I am generally GF & DF. I say “generally” because I periodically succumb to my weaknesses — e.g., L’Esprit has — “hands down,” IMO — the VERY best foie gras on the island. Butter be damned . . . I can’t resist it! My dietary restrictions, nonetheless, often direct me to vegetarian choices, & my experience is that all of the island’s top chefs happily stretch their menus to accommodate such personal choices. (My recommendation, however, is to arrive & order early . . . it becomes more difficult for kitchens to respond to special requests after the 7:30 - 8 PM window.)

I can't help specifically with dine-in restaurants, but for takeout checkout So Cuisine, on the main road through St Jean, on the other side of, and just up the street from, Hotel Pearl Beach. So Cuisine is on the lower level. Sophie always has a number of vegetarian items on her menu.

As noted above, St Barth's Chefs can be very accommodating. We experienced that when my wife broke a tooth and could not chew solid food. We were impressed with the variety of off-menu soups (some vegetarian, some not) which came out of restaurant kitchens. A Gazpacho from one restaurant, which was raw veggies 15 minutes before it hit the table, and Cream of Zucchini ("it just came in this morning") from another, are two that come to mind.

My recommendation is to make reservations, and note at the time that one person in your party is Vegetarian.

You can find my Resto List at the top of the Restaurant Forum.

Le Select. You can have a burger and they can have rice and beans.

Attachments

• Le S R&B.jpg
    Le S R&B.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 248
Isoletta has good vegetarian options including suppli, eggplant parmesan, salads and veggie pizzas.

JoJo burger has a veggie burger in addition to delicious mahi mahi burgers and other burgers.

La Creperie has some veggie crepes, a veggie burger, delicious salads and veggie specials.

Kiki e Mo has veggie paninis, a veggie burger, veggie bowls, avocado toast, salads and a delicious green smoothie.

Les Bananiers has loads of veggie pizzas.

Sand Bar at Eden Rock has a nice selection of veggie pizzas at lunch along with salads and one veggie pasta. There are fewer veggie options at dinner.

Bagatelle has a superb cacio e pepe with truffles along with a lovely eggplant parmesan, tempura veggies and several salads.

I had a refreshing cucumber and feta salad at La Petite Plage along with an excellent pasta I’m sure they could cater to a vegetarian by removing the ham.

Shellona has veggie mezzes, salads and a grilled vegetable side. I’m sure they would work with you to come up with a good veggie main option.

Fouquet’s has several veggie pastas and some veggie appetizers.

Hope this helps :)

Isoletta has good vegetarian options including suppli, eggplant parmesan, salads and veggie pizzas.

JoJo burger has a veggie burger in addition to delicious mahi mahi burgers and other burgers.

La Creperie has some veggie crepes, a veggie burger, delicious salads and veggie specials.

Kiki e Mo has veggie paninis, a veggie burger, veggie bowls, avocado toast, salads and a delicious green smoothie.

Les Bananiers has loads of veggie pizzas.

Sand Bar at Eden Rock has a nice selection of veggie pizzas at lunch along with salads and one veggie pasta. There are fewer veggie options at dinner.

Bagatelle has a superb cacio e pepe with truffles along with a lovely eggplant parmesan, tempura veggies and several salads.

I had a refreshing cucumber and feta salad at La Petite Plage along with an excellent pasta I’m sure they could cater to a vegetarian by removing the ham.

Shellona has veggie mezzes, salads and a grilled vegetable side. I’m sure they would work with you to come up with a good veggie main option.

Fouquet’s has several veggie pastas and some veggie appetizers.

Hope this helps :)

That's an excellent list! Thanks for posting it!

Paul McCartney and I dined* at Santa Fe a couple of years ago and he made a fine meal of their vegetable offerings.

*Different tables and we arrived and left separately, but same-same.