cell phone service

chiz

SBH Member
good morning...
question: does anyone having experience/comments about using T mobile cell service (US based) for texts, voice and data when visiting St Bart's. Does it work well, is it a seamless set-up transition, etc.
thanks!

good morning...
question: does anyone having experience/comments about using T mobile cell service (US based) for texts, voice and data when visiting St Bart's. Does it work well, is it a seamless set-up transition, etc.
thanks!
Yes. I have T mobile and got international service before I left the US. It works perfectly but if you have wifi wherever you are use that first.

I have T-Mobile on my iPad and it works well, they do throttle back for the "free" intenational service.

Using T mobile....it appears that texting and data usage is "free" using their international service but you have to pay for voice calls

The Magenta® single line plan includes:
  • Unlimited talk, text and smartphone data on our network with 5G access.
  • Taxes and fees included, free Scam Shield, and 5GB of high-speed mobile hotspot data.
  • Texting and unlimited data at up to 2G speeds when traveling abroad in 210+ countries, and Gogo in-flight with unlimited texting and 1 hour of Wi-Fi.
  • Also includes unlimited talk, text, and data in Mexico and Canada with up to 5GB of high-speed data (then 2G speeds).
  • Use AutoPay to get $5 off each line of service up to 8 lines.
  • Capable device for 5G. Coverage not available in some areas.
  • During congestion, customers on this plan using >100GB/mo. may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle due to data prioritization.
  • Video typically streams on smartphone/tablet at DVD quality (480p).

Most villas, hotels and restaurants have wifi. We purchase an international package but try to call or facetime on wifi as Andy stated.

I have used T-Mobile in Italy, not St. Barth but it would be the same. I have the Simple Choice plan (don't think it is offered anymore).
Calls .20 per minute (wifi calling free)
unlimited text and data (3G speed)

be careful, my experience of t-mobile usa when roaming in st barts is that some areas in st barts don't give you 4G data speeds, and revert to 2g (EDGE) - which is damn slow. Whereas AT&T roaming was flawless including 4G almost everywhere.

be careful, my experience of t-mobile usa when roaming in st barts is that some areas in st barts don't give you 4G data speeds, and revert to 2g (EDGE) - which is damn slow. Whereas AT&T roaming was flawless including 4G almost everywhere.

You get what you pay for - T-Mobile includes free international roaming at 2G. ATT goes for $10 per day.

With Verizon if we use it once we get charge $10 for the day. For me I am on airplane mode except when I am at the villa using their WiFi.

I like the AT&T Day Pass. But, I need to make and receive business calls. Pay your $10 (plus obscene tax - probably 30%) and it's just like being at home: call, text, surf as much as you want.

I get better service on my ATT phone than I do on my local Dauphin phone. One day I’ll dump the Dauphin phone, but for now it is helpful to have a local phone number.