Vitet area - pros/cons

That's great, so i'm about 20 feet from having a nice route up to Vitet, but now facing a drive around the island to get back up to that intersection to make a left up to Vitet. What would you recommend, staying the course and enjoy being up high in the heart of the summer, or move to other side of the island ?

Unless you were planning to spend a lot of time at the villa, I would find some place else to stay. Getting to St Jean or Gustavia means driving a giant loop. Flamands or Colombier sounds appealing. Lurin even better as its close to town and Gouverneur. Always had good breeze up there.

Yeah, i was pretty excited to stay up high this time in Vitet, but getting home at night through Grand Fond would be a little dicey. Pretty disappointed, but need to find another option soon for early July if i'm not sticking with it.

Unless you were planning to spend a lot of time at the villa, I would find some place else to stay. Getting to St Jean or Gustavia means driving a giant loop. Flamands or Colombier sounds appealing. Lurin even better as its close to town and Gouverneur. Always had good breeze up there.

The complete closure of the road on the Camaruche hillside has been pushed to June 1.

From the COM's FB page, as translated by Google:

COMSTBARTH informs you: - Camaruche climb works - The work on the high voltage electricity network at Petite Saline having been delayed and in order not to further congestion the road traffic in the windward part of the island, the closure of track 209, known as the "Montée de Camaruche" is postponed. to Tuesday June 1, 2021. Traffic will alternate with a traffic light in the "Montée de Camaruche" until Monday, May 31, 2021 inclusive.

A knowledgeable official in the Collectivite wrote to me today to say that the closing will begin "around June 10th" and that it's unknown whether the road will be totally closed for the entire time of the works. The goal is to be finished with the project (putting fiber optic, electricity, potable water, and other infrastructure underground) before "the next season."

A knowledgeable official in the Collectivite wrote to me today to say that the closing will begin "around June 10th" and that it's unknown whether the road will be totally closed for the entire time of the works. The goal is to be finished with the project (putting fiber optic, electricity, potable water, and other infrastructure underground) before "the next season."

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 12.02.20 PM.jpg

The residents of Camaruche will have to take their troubles patiently. Since May 17 and for about five months, the section of road that goes up from Lorient to the east of the island will be under construction. Until Monday, May 31, vehicle traffic will be alternated with the installation of traffic lights. However, from Tuesday June 1 at 7 a.m., the road will be completely closed to traffic. A detour will be set up in the direction of Grand-Fond.

It goes without saying that the announcement of the road closure did not fail to generate many reactions, especially on social media. Sometimes ironically with, for example, "The community will give us gasoline!" "Or" I who live in Grand-Cul-de-Sac, I'm going to feast from one end to the other, I think I'm going to have a Zen retreat at home ".

But humor is not always in order ...

"So we close Camaruche by deviating towards Grand-Fond but without having finished the work beforehand ... How is the slogan of the pebble already? The art of being an island under construction? "Same reflection, or almost, of another Internet user:" Seriously, they do not want to finish Grand-Fond before closing Camaruche? " The economic aspect is obviously one of the concerns put forward. "It's not as if gasoline has increased to 1.56 euros (the liter, editor's note) when in Saint-Martin we don't even pay a euro," scolds a woman. Solutions ? “We will have to create a ring road” or “We will have to walk back”. And one internet user summed up the general feeling of the inhabitants of the North-East of the island: "We are not out of the mess! "

For its part, the Collectivity asks to "apologize for the inconvenience caused" and "count on the good citizenship of everyone so that this essential work on this dangerous section of road takes place in the best conditions".

The complete closure of the road on the Camaruche hillside has been pushed to June 1.

From the COM's FB page, as translated by Google:

COMSTBARTH informs you: - Camaruche climb works - The work on the high voltage electricity network at Petite Saline having been delayed and in order not to further congestion the road traffic in the windward part of the island, the closure of track 209, known as the "Montée de Camaruche" is postponed. to Tuesday June 1, 2021. Traffic will alternate with a traffic light in the "Montée de Camaruche" until Monday, May 31, 2021 inclusive.

Thanks for this update Kevin. A couple more delays and we could be all good before departure.