Booster Required

Status
Not open for further replies.
3E1E043E-0E74-427E-85DC-BE20BAB74912.jpg
« health professionals can offer a first injection or a reminder… »
Rappel is often a reminder as incorrectly translated here, but in this instance rappel was an injection de rappel. In other words, a booster shot.

An unfortunate name, in the circumstances: “Dr Devil.”

image0-2.jpeg

"These four colored engravings from 1609 by Johann Gelle after the design of Egbert van Panderen tell the waxing and waning reputation of the physician from the eye of the patient. Depending on the stage of illness, the doctor is viewed as god, angel, man, or worse, devil. Four central figures personify the physician, each surrounded by background narratives of sickness and healing. Latin verses accompany each scene.

On the upper left, the physician embodies a god, omniscient and omnipotent in dealing with the sick. As the Latin describes, death is knocking at the door of this home, and thankfully the doctor has arrived. The small scene on the right shows the doctor wearing black, inspecting the scalp of the patient clearly displaying bulbous wounds, possibly alluding to the plague. The family of the male patient scurries about the elegant home, attending to the needs of the patriarch and physician. The doctor arrives in time to save the patient, thus lauded as god. In the second engraving on the right, the patient is better and has escaped death. He now views the doctor as an angel, no longer as a saviour-like god but still on a high level. The angel offers a vessel, likely the palliative cure administered to his patient, who rests in the canopied green bed.

On the lower register, the doctor’s role begins to diminish. The patient is now convalescing, feeling better, and the physician now appears a mere mortal. He is portrayed as a man, if not a bit of a charlatan, dressed in finery. The fourth engraving shows a recovered patient, hence the doctor asks for payment. Now the doctor sinks to the level of devil. Thus, Van Panderen has recorded a glimpse into society’s perception of the physician, and his role and reputation in the Renaissance."(Doctors as angels and devils. Sally Metzler)

I think most physicians (as well as nurses and other health care workers) would say that these varying perceptions apply past the Renaissance and in settings beyond those in the description...

Facebook’s translations are often unfortunate. That would be Dr. Diab.

But without that poor translation we would not have enjoyed our Izzy lesson of the day. Always a treat and mostly musical. Does he have a YT clip on disease?

Mouth watering!
Last night we were asked for our proof of vaccination at L’Esprit. They took a picture of each of our QR codes and we will not have to do this procedure each time we dine there..they have it!

FYI..the room was filled and there were more servers and runners and bus people than last visit. Still plenty of help wanted ads in the papers.

The meal was fantastic. A new menu was offered. Starters were Tuna tartar for me and duck spring rolls for Phil. We each had wonderful wagyu beef with dauphine potatoes and vegetables. And for dessert a chocolate and peanut soufflé with chocolate ice cream was worth the 15 wait (our waitress Rosina recommended it and told us it took time to prepare.). Glad I listened. Phil enjoyed his tiramisu.

Chef Jean-Claude Dufour was on top of his game as was Christophe, Herve and the entire team.

Last night we were asked for our proof of vaccination at L’Esprit. They took a picture of each of our QR codes and we will not have to do this procedure each time we dine there..they have it!

FYI..the room was filled and there were more servers and runners and bus people than last visit. Still plenty of help wanted ads in the papers.

The meal was fantastic. A new menu was offered. Starters were Tuna tartar for me and duck spring rolls for Phil. We each had wonderful wagyu beef with dauphine potatoes and vegetables. And for dessert a chocolate and peanut soufflé with chocolate ice cream was worth the 15 wait (our waitress Rosina recommended it and told us it took time to prepare.). Glad I listened. Phil enjoyed his tiramisu.

Chef Jean-Claude Dufour was on top of his game as was Christophe, Herve and the entire team.

Sounds like a great evening!

View attachment 59808

"These four colored engravings from 1609 by Johann Gelle after the design of Egbert van Panderen tell the waxing and waning reputation of the physician from the eye of the patient. Depending on the stage of illness, the doctor is viewed as god, angel, man, or worse, devil. Four central figures personify the physician, each surrounded by background narratives of sickness and healing. Latin verses accompany each scene.

On the upper left, the physician embodies a god, omniscient and omnipotent in dealing with the sick. As the Latin describes, death is knocking at the door of this home, and thankfully the doctor has arrived. The small scene on the right shows the doctor wearing black, inspecting the scalp of the patient clearly displaying bulbous wounds, possibly alluding to the plague. The family of the male patient scurries about the elegant home, attending to the needs of the patriarch and physician. The doctor arrives in time to save the patient, thus lauded as god. In the second engraving on the right, the patient is better and has escaped death. He now views the doctor as an angel, no longer as a saviour-like god but still on a high level. The angel offers a vessel, likely the palliative cure administered to his patient, who rests in the canopied green bed.

On the lower register, the doctor’s role begins to diminish. The patient is now convalescing, feeling better, and the physician now appears a mere mortal. He is portrayed as a man, if not a bit of a charlatan, dressed in finery. The fourth engraving shows a recovered patient, hence the doctor asks for payment. Now the doctor sinks to the level of devil. Thus, Van Panderen has recorded a glimpse into society’s perception of the physician, and his role and reputation in the Renaissance."(Doctors as angels and devils. Sally Metzler)

I think most physicians (as well as nurses and other health care workers) would say that these varying perceptions apply past the Renaissance and in settings beyond those in the description...

Marvelous, Izzy!

Apparently that style of medicine is still in favor. This is trending on Amazon books.

IMG_6337.jpeg

Bonjour :cool:
i am traveling in France right now …and every restaurant are asking for your pass sanitaire
if you don’t …go back to your house
I am proud to be vaccinated 3 times

Bonjour :cool:
i am traveling in France right now …and every restaurant are asking for your pass sanitaire
if you don’t …go back to your house
I am proud to be vaccinated 3 times

That is great to hear, Rosita. I will be in Paris in two weeks. I applied for the pass sanitaire in October and received it this week. Since the protocol has changed, I was prepared to present my (3 shots) vax card and passport (and 36€) at a participating pharmacy in Paris.

I got an EU digital Covid vaccination certificate—is it necessary? How would I use it when traveling to St. Barths in January?

That is great to hear, Rosita. I will be in Paris in two weeks. I applied for the pass sanitaire in October and received it this week. Since the protocol has changed, I was prepared to present my (3 shots) vax card and passport (and 36€) at a participating pharmacy in Paris.
I like the sound of this, Missy! I look forward to a new season of la Missy TV show.

I like the sound of this, Missy! I look forward to a new season of la Missy TV show.

This makes me smile, Rosemary. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed creating the 2018 videos...it made me feel like I wasn't totally alone in that big, beautiful city.

Bonito required prof of vaccination this evening and Sand Bar also requested yesterday
As did L’Atelier Robuchon last night. Concur with Kevin. The food and service were both very good and the general manager lovely.

When will you be required to have had a 4th shot ?
Moderna (others too probably) working on omicron shot. So, won’t be too long, as Moderna says the third shot people taking now significantly less efficacious for O variant.
And, so it goes …

As has been noted many times, COVID is here to stay and won't be going anywhere. This is part of the human experience now, and those of us who wish to be vaccinated will likely be doing so at least annually based on how quickly the virus is evolving so far (epidemiologists estimate that it mutates 400% faster than seasonal flu) and the needs for tweaks to the vaccines to maintain high efficacy.

Eventually, the "vaccine passports" and such will likely become a thing of the past as treatments become increasingly effective and enough of the global population is vaccinated where it doesn't pose the same risk as it did before.

But, I suspect we have a few years to go still, unfortunately given how enormous parts of the globe have very limited vaccine availability still.

Status
Not open for further replies.