3 night forays?

JoR

SBH Insider
It seems I have to go back to St. Maarten to do short trips away from SBH during this spring’s extended stay. True? Is there nowhere I could ferry or fly directly to? Have only ever been to Anguilla, which I totally enjoyed, and pre/post flight overnights in SXM. Saba is intriguing as is a return to Anguilla or a longer visit in SXM. Ideas? Thanks!

It seems I have to go back to St. Maarten to do short trips away from SBH during this spring’s extended stay. True? Is there nowhere I could ferry or fly directly to? Have only ever been to Anguilla, which I totally enjoyed, and pre/post flight overnights in SXM. Saba is intriguing as is a return to Anguilla or a longer visit in SXM. Ideas? Thanks!
our only day trip was booking a private flight to Anguilla for lunch and beach. Returning that night. Magical. Enjoy.

I can't speak to the legalities, or detail the actual (if any) requirements. What I can do is offer my memory of a quote from former President Magras to a long-term visitor when he was asked about length of stay requirements. "Is anyone asking you to leave?"

If I chose to do a short off-island trip then I would check on trips to Saba, either direct (maybe once a week) or via SXM. Plan B, because I've been there before, would be SBH Commuter to Grand Case, and then catch a ferry from Marigot to Anguilla. Sint Maarten/St Martin have no appeal to me.

Saba is one of the most unusual places you would ever visit, I feel sure. The airport makes SBH seem quite pedestrian. No beach life to speak of. No 5 star restaurants. Family burials in their front yards. Beautiful seascapes from Mount Scenery (if not clouded over). Indefinable resident ethnicity. What are you waiting for?

No direct flights from SBH. Have to get to SXM and two days of travel. Watch for the 3 dy getaways with direct flights. We did it 5 years ago--terrific little jaunt.

I can't speak to the legalities, or detail the actual (if any) requirements. What I can do is offer my memory of a quote from former President Magras to a long-term visitor when he was asked about length of stay requirements. "Is anyone asking you to leave?"

Many of us can name examples of people who enjoy extended stays without any worry of reprisal.

Many of us can name examples of people who enjoy extended stays without any worry of reprisal.

just curious if those referenced who are essentially living on SBH are included in recent official population counts. asking for a friend.

Good question. Long term visitors do not count in the census.

I recall when we had last census at home year or two ago, the form asked to include those "staying" at my residence.

At any rate, post covid, I have the impression lots of non-resident folks are more or less living on the island. I'm not suggesting that's wrong but that the COM needs to know real population to plan for essential services. electricity, potable water, sewage, health care, etc.

One could think that. But the census taker made it clear that we were on the do not count list.

So much for accuracy.