From Seaweed to paper: the Sargasse Project

All the very best to the success of this project! These are images from June 2018...Gouverneur Beach, path to Colombier Beach, and path to Washing Machine. Only Colombier and St Jean east of Eden Rock were fit to swim in. IMG_8187.jpgIMG_8027.jpgIMG_7897.jpg

Economically impossible on St. Barts. I grew up in an area that had paper mills. Also drive down Rt 95 into the Carolinas and North Florida and catch the smell of paper mills. What needs to be done is to stop the clear cutting and deforestation in South America. That is where the nitrogen enters the ocean. And what happens to the paper factory when the weed is not plentiful. Just close down and lay everybody off? I have posted it before and am upfront that my son is involved. If interested. Reforest the Tropics.

Economically impossible on St. Barts. I grew up in an area that had paper mills. Also drive down Rt 95 into the Carolinas and North Florida and catch the smell of paper mills. What needs to be done is to stop the clear cutting and deforestation in South America. That is where the nitrogen enters the ocean. And what happens to the paper factory when the weed is not plentiful. Just close down and lay everybody off? I have posted it before and am upfront that my son is involved. If interested. Reforest the Tropics.

I have to say, Kent, that I have little knowledge / awareness in this topic, but I respect & trust your exposure to the subject & appreciate your input . . . informed as it appears to be.

Not to contradict Hawke but this project has an interesting business plan, and they are looking for investors. I believe their idea is to make pulp and sell it to people who make the final product (packaging, paper goods, etc) wherever they are based. As plastic is banned in more and more places, seaweed-based products could be a good solution. If the seaweed is not plentiful it can be grown and harvested.

Not to contradict Hawke but this project has an interesting business plan, and they are looking for investors. I believe their idea is to make pulp and sell it to people who make the final product (packaging, paper goods, etc) wherever they are based. As plastic is banned in more and more places, seaweed-based products could be a good solution. If the seaweed is not plentiful it can be grown and harvested.
And where is the factory being built

From another thread about trucks delivering water. Someone posted on that thread; what happens when the water runs out? A sheet of paper takes 3 gallons of water to produce. Can't have it both ways.

From another thread about trucks delivering water. Someone posted on that thread; what happens when the water runs out? A sheet of paper takes 3 gallons of water to produce. Can't have it both ways.
That is amazing. Does the water have to be desalinated?

Any way, I wonder, is the idea even for the paper factory to be on St Barth?

That is amazing. Does the water have to be desalinated?

Any way, I wonder, is the idea even for the paper factory to be on St Barth?

they aren't planning to make paper. they are planning to make pulp from the sargassum seaweed and sell it to people who make the end product..paper, cardboard, packaging, etc...