Looming soon off Gustavia

JoshA

Senior Insider
The world's largest sailing yacht. Pretty close to the ugliest as well.

2C9634CE00000578-3243137-image-a-2_1442832351912.jpg

Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko's 'Sailing Yacht A' is an upgrade to the Russian billionaire's current multi-million pound 'Motor Yacht A,' that set him back £190million.
At 468ft in length, with ship masts nearing 300ft high, the 'mega-yacht,' has eight floors and includes an underwater observation room.
Superyachtfan.com reports that the boat is powered by a 'hybrid diesel-electric package with controllable pitch propellers,' and is designed to accommodate 20 guests and a crew of 54.
The yacht was designed by Frenchman Philippe Starck and built by German Naval Yards, Nobiskrug.
Mr Melnichenko is expected to recover some of the costs by licensing the technology developed for the vessel for commercial applications.

See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...eight-floors-underwater-observation-room.html for many pictures.

Have eye bleach handy.

np092215_yachtparty_article.jpg

[h=1]This Is Officially the World's Largest Superyacht And It Is Massive[/h]We're not gonna need a bigger boat.

TECHSeptember 22, 2015 By Jared Keller
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Google Plus

This may be the yacht to end all yachts.

Russian billionaire Andrey Igorevich Melnichenko, the coal and fertilizer baron with an estimated personal wealth of $9.2 billion, unveiled a massive superyacht on Monday. Clocking in at 468 feet long and boasting masts near 300 feet high, 'Sailing Yacht A' — named as such to "ensure it is listed first in shipping registers," according to the Daily Mail — is reportedly the largest superyacht on the planet.
Here's a video of this bad boy in action from radio station NDR 1 Welle Nord:

This thing is an absolute beast, featuring eight stories, an underwater observation room, a helicopter pad, and God knows what other amenities. The Daily Mail's overview of the ship's schematics is particularly fascinating:
The epic vessel boasts a staggering eight decks and its keel incorporates one of the largest single pieces of curved glass ever made at 193 square feet and weighs a whopping 1.8 tons.

It dwarfs other famous super-yachts like The Maltese Falcon, which is 298 ft and weighs 1,367 tons.

Cruise speed of the ship is 18 mph, with a top speed of 24 mph. The hull is made of steel, with a teak-finish deck.
The yacht will have a high-tech digital control system operated using a touch sensitive sheet of black glass in the bridge.
This will allow the crew to raise and lower the sails and even drop the anchor with a brush of their fingers.
superyacht-schematics.jpg

Sure, it's a beaut, but you'll never, ever afford a boat like this. Melnichenko shelled out £260 million (or almost $400 million) for this luxurious behemoth, which is set to take its first se trial in Kiel, Germany later this month.
But that doesn't make it any less impressive: as Benjamin Maltby of global yacht consultancy MatrixLloyd told the Mail,"not since the days of mighty clipper sailing ships such as the Cutty Sark has such a large sailing vessel been built."

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Google Plus

Tags: tech, yachts, Maxim Man, Superyachts

This Keychain Gadget Does Pretty Much Everything

Spent some time on a Laser out on Lake Michigan chop. Coast Guard helo flew over (maybe they were concerned cuz I was so far out?) I waved. They waved. I felt like a billion dollars. Life is schweet.

Not impressed (yea I know, a negative comment again but really that thing is so ugly, I can't help it).

Please someone quickly post a beautiful picture of Endeavour asap. I need a fix for talent & beauty.

Not impressed (yea I know, a negative comment again but really that thing is so ugly, I can't help it).

Please someone quickly post a beautiful picture of Endeavour asap. I need a fix for talent & beauty.

Nah. FWIW, I wouldn't %$## on this if it was on fire...

Philippe Starck has jumped the shark.

He could have stopped at M/Y 'A'

1920px-A_%28ship%29_at_Sorrent_2012_3.jpg

Instead he ruined S/Y 'A'
And did no favor for Andrey

Did they not see the J-class sail
or know that Endeavor is for sale?

Screen-shot-2015-02-03-at-20.25.58.png

try dealing with saillboat skippers as a launch boat driver..

"the wind is free..isn't everything else free too?"...LOL