MUSINGS FROM AMERICAN STRAGGLERS ON SBH

Reed

Senior Insider
Bonjour folks!

A beautiful pink moon welcomed our arrival into a new day. A few weeks ago we decided after looking at our options and what felt safest to us, to continue to stay on SBH. We also reside on Nantucket. When word came 2-3 weeks ago that the last planes out to Puerto Rico were leaving we had 2 days to ponder our situation seriously. We followed closely what precautions were being taken on Nantucket which sadly were none at that point. Our other island is still allowing planes and ferry passengers daily. We discussed what was happening on SBH. I have to inform folks that this island has been in our opinion handling this situation with the utmost care and stringent measures of any place we have heard about from friends around the globe. I am sure many here might feel all of this is a hassle but for us, we feel safe. Paper work in the car with time of leaving house and where we are going NO problem, standing in line at a grocery store at 6'distance while waiting for a customer to leave while one allowed in NO problem (although sadly while in the store everyone seems to clump together so I don't know how successful this distancing is working out). Being given out gloves a select grocery stores NO problem (we have a box of our own food prep gloves we put on as we go out). Waiting to have cart handles sprayed with some sort of disinfectant NO problem. Gendarme checkpoint asking for your papers and purpose of being out of the house NO problem. No lack of any food from the groceries NO problem. The big problem for us is looking out over a fabulous view of ocean and knowing that we are not allowed to be in the water. My husband swims daily for health purposes and quite honestly, to stay out of my hair. Not being able to do so has been a big deal for him.

We have not in any way been hampered by the closing of the restaurants as we seldom frequent them while here due to the fact that we are both cooks and find entertaining at our villa to be more satisfactory. We are curious to know how many other folks decided to ride things out down here. We of course know Phil and Amy are here as well as Ed a few non forum folks. Would look most forward to hearing from other people who are riding things out on SBH. Kind wishes for folks wherever you are remaining safe and healthy.

Kimberly Reed & Kona Hosier

Kimberly and Kona, thanks for sharing your perspectives of life on St. Barth right now with us all. You’ve got the right attitude about everything. From all that I’ve read on the situation on the island, it seems like St. Barth is a pretty safe place to be, as long as folks continue adhering to strict guidelines that are in place. It is sad that Kona can’t get to the ocean to swim, but as long as you’ve got a pool, that’s better than nothing. Stay safe and healthy everyone.

I agree that St Barth seems to be handling all this in a very professional manner from the government's point of view and that 99% of the population has been behaving in keeping with all the regulations Kimberly outlined above. It was nice running into her yesterday, or was it Sunday, when I went to Esprit Jean-Claude to get take-out for lunch. He has been doing a good job. The thing now is that they would like to do a double-pronged test of the entire population, to see who might be positive for covid-19 and who may have already had in, and in theory would be immune. How long would that take? and what happens to the people who are not positive and who have not had it? they remain vulnerable? how long would it be before anyone from the outside would be allowed onto the island and would they have to be tested when they got here? so many questions and not sure of the answers.. but it does seem a lot safer and quieter here than a lot of other places...

Long Island and indeed all of New York State is being hammered during this Pandemic. I am glad we could remain here-we both feel safer.

I was on the island during Irma and the aftermath of that hurricane. Its much better being here for this crisis, more food, water etc. we are doing fine, getting to the grocery store every 3 to 4 days, not eating out at all now. I have painted my entire terrace, it looks so much better now. So keeping busy while not going out unless needed. My freezer is staying full, burgers, fish, chicken etc.

I believe I had this virus the last of december while I was on vacation in the states, perhaps from the plane ride? and lasted into the first two weeks of january, the worst sickness I had ever experienced in my life.

no taste, no smell, fever in the first few days and coughing was going on for several weeks. I did not go to the hospital, would have had to call an ambulance if I had as I could hardly raise my head up off the pillow. In a way I feel lucky as there is no doubt in my mind that dda & I both had this already. dda did not get as sick as I did but his cough lasted also for 2 weeks.

I was on the island during Irma and the aftermath of that hurricane. Its much better being here for this crisis, more food, water etc. we are doing fine, getting to the grocery store every 3 to 4 days, not eating out at all now. I have painted my entire terrace, it looks so much better now. So keeping busy while not going out unless needed. My freezer is staying full, burgers, fish, chicken etc.

I believe I had this virus the last of december while I was on vacation in the states, perhaps from the plane ride? and lasted into the first two weeks of january, the worst sickness I had ever experienced in my life.

no taste, no smell, fever in the first few days and coughing was going on for several weeks. I did not go to the hospital, would have had to call an ambulance if I had as I could hardly raise my head up off the pillow. In a way I feel lucky as there is no doubt in my mind that dda & I both had this already. dda did not get as sick as I did but his cough lasted also for 2 weeks.

Sorry you both were sick. If SBH Does test everyone, as Ellen says might happen, it would be helpful to know if you indeed had Covid-19.

We too are convinced we had the virus. A couple of days after our return from a short trip to SBH the last week of Feb, my husband and I became ill. We live near nyc so could have become infected before, during or after the trip. We had fever for a full week, aches, headache, nausea, GI symptoms, lack of taste, everything but respiratory--no cough or shortness of breath. That is what is tricky, people seem to have very different combinations of symptoms. Having read about the case on sbh (and the parents from France quarantined on St M) right after our return, I called my dr. In early March testing was very limited and guidelines different. State protocol stated that b/c we had not been to China, Italy, Iran or S Korea and did not have coughing or breath shortness, we could not be tested--this after discussion between my doctor and the local health dept. My doctor was very frustrated. Given how little was known at the time, she thought we had a GI virus. That night my husband collapsed from high fever, I called 911 in panic, fortunately he was okay and chose not to go to the hospital. Over the next week we both slowly recovered. When I recently circled back with my doctor, she said that with what she knows now (vs then) she also believes we were infected, though will only know for certain when antibody testing is available. It was the sickest we've been as adults; my husband rarely gets sick and it completely took him down so can see how and why it is so serious for those older and/or compromised. Stay well everyone!

To my Forum friends. Charles and have had to cancel our late May and early June trip as many of you have. I will miss it so much and really want to see everyone.. Just feel it is safer since we bring family members with us too. Stay safe everyone and I will see you again. Betty

Yes, I certainly understand. Now,until we can be back on schedule, take good care of each other.

Thank you to everyone for your personal stories and experiences. I've been wondering about those of you still on-island, and how you have been holding up. Please keep us posted!

I still do a walk around the Gustavia harbor in the morning and each day I see a friend - or more. Today the 30 minute walk took almost 1 hour. One friend gave me 2 bottles of rose' to go. The harbor water has become much clearer and I can see all kinds of fish. One I see everyday by the boat launching ramp next to the post office. It has a gash on its' side and I recognize it. Does it recognize me? The tarpon are moving all around, lots of little fish by Victoria and the yellow stripe fish are by Bagatelle. All have there favorite spaces. There were lots of pelicans in Dec./Jan., but not one now. There must be really good fishing elsewhere.

I was hoping for a few lazy days when I got here back in Dec. and I got them. Make St. Barth Lazy Again. It has been very nice doing next to nothing here. I go back to Ohio which is under lock down until May, so I am fortunate to experience a little of Old St. Barth in 2020.

I still do a walk around the Gustavia harbor in the morning and each day I see a friend - or more. Today the 30 minute walk took almost 1 hour. One friend gave me 2 bottles of rose' to go. The harbor water has become much clearer and I can see all kinds of fish. One I see everyday by the boat launching ramp next to the post office. It has a gash on its' side and I recognize it. Does it recognize me? The tarpon are moving all around, lots of little fish by Victoria and the yellow stripe fish are by Bagatelle. All have there favorite spaces. There were lots of pelicans in Dec./Jan., but not one now. There must be really good fishing elsewhere.

I was hoping for a few lazy days when I got here back in Dec. and I got them. Make St. Barth Lazy Again. It has been very nice doing next to nothing here. I go back to Ohio which is under lock down until May, so I am fortunate to experience a little of Old St. Barth in 2020.

Ed, love to see some shots of the harbor! Maybe I should FedEx my underwater Go Pro down to you:cool:

Hello forum, thought I might as well share my husband's and my experience with Covid-19. The week of March 16 my college son and I moved out to our house on the east end of Long Island after his college moved to virtual learning. My husband was still working from his office in NYC (most of his co-workers were working from home in the suburbs) and came out to Long Island on the 20th. The next day, he said he was not feeling well and decided to go back to the city. Unfortunately I was already infected. Got a cough a few days later and then for about 4 days was really very sick with chills, headache, total loss of appetite, no sense of smell or taste and severe fatigue. My husband was worse with hallucinatory fevers at night. He had a video meeting with his doctor and was told we both had the virus, he was 200% sure. I have never been that sick as an adult. However, we are both on the mend and relieved that we got it and got through it. My 21 year old son never developed symptoms so we assume he was infected but was asymptomatic. Ironically, the day my husband became ill was the day we should have landed in St. Barths! Strange irony. We wish everyone on the island the best. I love seeing the daily menu from L'Esprit (one of our favorites) and for fun I decide what I would order for dinner each night. Everyone stay safe and healthy. :pray1:

Hope you and your husband fully recover and get to be good as new. I like happy endings.