Best way to arrive given covid requirements?

gouverneur

Hi everyone, we’re planning a return trip to SBH in December, from New York. Usually I prefer flying through St. Martin over San Juan because I’d rather spend 10 minutes on a small plane than 1 hour. Given COVID requirements is one route better than the other? I’m fearful that flying through St. Martin means additional requirements and entering another country for no reason. Has travel through there has been going smoothly? This is my first trip since the pandemic and I don’t want to make a mistake.

When we traveled to St. Barth in July, we went through St. Maarten and transited with St. Barth Commuter. They met us at the gate after we de-boarded and directed us to a separate line that appeared to be for those like us who were taking a flight to SBH. It all went very smooth. The only additional item required when going through SXM would be the EHAS form that has to be submitted and approved even if you are just transiting. Because of cancelled flights, we had to submit twice, and the first time it took 12 hours to get a reply because if the time difference and the time of day initially submitted. The next time it took 2 hours for one approval, and 4 for the other. Waiting for the EHAS approval was slightly stressful, as we could not board our flight from LAX without that documentation.

When we traveled to St. Barth in July, we went through St. Maarten and transited with St. Barth Commuter. They met us at the gate after we de-boarded and directed us to a separate line that appeared to be for those like us who were taking a flight to SBH. It all went very smooth. The only additional item required when going through SXM would be the EHAS form that has to be submitted and approved even if you are just transiting. Because of cancelled flights, we had to submit twice, and the first time it took 12 hours to get a reply because if the time difference and the time of day initially submitted. The next time it took 2 hours for one approval, and 4 for the other. Waiting for the EHAS approval was slightly stressful, as we could not board our flight from LAX without that documentation.

i.e. SJU :cool:

Tradewind’s VIP service at SJU is very helpful, especially when there’s a close connection.

Inbound to SJU only. They meet you at your arrival gate, get your bag check claims, reclaim the bags and send you a photo of your bags when they check them into the Tradewind flight.

You wait in the lounge :cool:

On the inbound to SJU the pilots normally walk the same route and assist with the inspections and checkin. No payment required for this!

Prices are around $899 one way. Not practical for everyone. Worth in on the way out to avoid customs in JFK or any big airport.

If the budget will allow, unfortunately, the extra $ to fly Tradewinds from SJU was not in the budget for us.

Depends where you are coming from (stops from home) and your carrier. I know Kevin and Phil have found it can work.

Prices are around $899 one way. Not practical for everyone. Worth in on the way out to avoid customs in JFK or any big airport.

Customs in MIA with Global Entry took all of 10 minutes. Definitely worth the expense for five years.

Depends where you are coming from (stops from home) and your carrier. I know Kevin and Phil have found it can work.

True. For us, coming from LAX, I booked our July 2022 trip on AA in Business/First for $1060.00 RT via SXM. Flying to SJU from LAX has similar fares for Business/First, however, Tradewinds is currently $976.00 RT from SJU to SBH for our dates. Compare that to approximately $200 RT from SXM to SBH on SBC.

For us its the simple fact that SJU is still a 2 leg flight for us. If we had a direct to SJU then Tradewinds is a no-brainer.

And while I am sure it is lovely and very convenient, I never felt SXM was that bad, especially after the airport remodel. Post Irma has been another story but for now we are going via SXM. I'd rather spend the extra $$ for a new more nights on the island than getting there.

As always, your $$$ to decide how to spend. :cool:

For us its the simple fact that SJU is still a 2 leg flight for us. If we had a direct to SJU then Tradewinds is a no-brainer.

And while I am sure it is lovely and very convenient, I never felt SXM was that bad, especially after the airport remodel. Post Irma has been another story but for now we are going via SXM. I'd rather spend the extra $$ for a new more nights on the island than getting there.

:up:

Rule #1

My family and I are going through SXM to SBH via SB Commuter on 11/6. Booked Covid-PCR test at CVS for 11/3. Will have results by 11/5. Fill out EHAS form before you leave here: https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/ Upload your info (negative test result, vax card, etc, pay the $30/pp). You'll get a QR code or email back from that site. Proceed on your trip. I'm not finding this too difficult, however you never know with SXM. There's not much more to do than follow the process, but SBH is always worth it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

My family and I are going through SXM to SBH via SB Commuter on 11/6. Booked Covid-PCR test at CVS for 11/3. Will have results by 11/5. Fill out EHAS form before you leave here: https://stmaartenehas.com/application-form/ Upload your info (negative test result, vax card, etc, pay the $30/pp). You'll get a QR code or email back from that site. Proceed on your trip. I'm not finding this too difficult, however you never know with SXM. There's not much more to do than follow the process, but SBH is always worth it. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

you may consider an antigen at a CVS nearby. Got the results in an hours. PCR are pushing 2-3 days now. Took PCR yesterday and an antigen today at 2 different CVS’s. For the anyigen result in 45 minutes, and got the sxm thing all set within 3 hours of the test for Saturday flight. Still no PCR result, and I would have freaked out and would have been out of luck if I didn’t get it tomorrow am.
you don’t need to pay $30 if in transit

We're arriving same date (and same route) as you. Unless I'm reading things incorrectly, both SXM and SBH are accepting 48HR antigen test results? Hope so as that removes the PCR anxiety over results.