Island vaccinations off to a good start

if, as Diana suspects, many, many islanders decline to be injected, will those who are bullish on the injections continue to come to the island anyway ?

if, as Diana suspects, many, many islanders decline to be injected, will those who are bullish on the injections continue to come to the island anyway ?

With the French Vaccination Passport, many things are possible.

that appears to be a non-starter, from what I read in the press.
and even so, one would be amongst a possible majority of uninjected people.

There are other more current reports of other innovative plans https://www.euronews.com/travel/202...d-pass-for-travel-to-its-overseas-territories

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 5.00.31 PM.jpg

With the French Vaccination Passport, many things are possible.

Culture Minister Roselyn Bachelot, speaking on France 2, put it in stronger terms saying, I remain opposed to the vaccination passport, which I believe is an infringement of our freedoms. As a freedom lover, I can hardly imagine it, if it came to that, it would be a step backwards.

The covid vaccine is not compulsory in France, and this is a sensitive issue for the country.

Passport will not work in France. The health pass will be for a variety of things and will not demand vaccination.... Once again, the more you force things on, the more the French temperament will want to reject it.... not good bad or indifferent just the way it is......

Wasn't it stated in the local paper or some other source that the island needed to reach a 50% vaccination level to be considered for re-opening? The details here may be a little off but I guess what I have been trying to figure out is what will happen if the island doesn't reach whatever figure was discussed? Does it stay "closed" and only allow vaccinated people to come here to be attended to by many non vaccinated working folk? Is there any thought or knowledge from anyone if the people who don't want the vaccine are mostly elderly local people or are a number of younger people not interested in getting vaccinated as well? Any thoughts?

Wasn't it stated in the local paper or some other source that the island needed to reach a 50% vaccination level to be considered for re-opening? The details here may be a little off but I guess what I have been trying to figure out is what will happen if the island doesn't reach whatever figure was discussed? Does it stay "closed" and only allow vaccinated people to come here to be attended to by many non vaccinated working folk? Is there any thought or knowledge from anyone if the people who don't want the vaccine are mostly elderly local people or are a number of younger people not interested in getting vaccinated as well? Any thoughts?

I remember the 50% as being the gate and heard the same from a very interested off-island participant. Mid-May was the deadline. As for what-then, no clear answers, but France writ large depends on tourism and perhaps “passport light” is a way forward.

It is the variants that are the concern. They are only created during the transmission of the virus from one to another. Assuming the false premise that 100% are vaccinated then there would not hypothetically be transmission of the virus/es (variants)we are aware of.
A large portion of the population choosing not to get vaccinated gives more possibilities for the creation of new variants which can adversely affect all.
One can argue one should be allowed to drink as much alcohol as one chooses to drink at one time and drive when ever and wherever one wants to drive, drunk or not. That is not allowed to because the driver may/will harm others.
Residents of the island should be allowed to choose whether or not to be vaccinated. Tourists will weigh in with their ‘pocketbooks’ as to whether they choose to spend their vacations on the island or elsewhere.
Time will tell.

facts :

according to Le Journal de St Barth (unless they're incorrect, again) :

- 684 people came to the vaccination center in 2 days. (despite the 2-3 heavy rain passages we had today)
- the center has a capacity of 400/day
- an average of 340/day, gives 5440 for 16 days, until May 7
- plus the 900-something already vaccinated
total : 6340

This is over 60% of the population.
better than Israel, who is back to normal life with under 60%.

Opinions :

happy to have received my 2nd dose yesterday,
I have the feeling to participate to my protection, the protection of my family and relatives, and to the global protection,
from local people I know (I know a lot, but, please no need to play games), opinions are :
some against vaccine, some hesitant, most want to get the vaccine ASAP.
Go St Barth !
I hope this will work and numbers keep up.

So, Hopper, declining the injection, for one’s own personal reasons, has some sort of equivalence with drunk driving ? Sorry, but that’s nuts.

facts :

- 684 people came to the vaccination center in 2 days. (despite the 2-3 heavy rain passages we had today)

Opinions :

I have the feeling to participate to my protection, the protection of my family and relatives, and to the global protection,
from local people I know (I know a lot, but, please no need to play games), opinions are :
Go St Barth !

Laurent,

Thank you for the au courant island reporting!

Haven't many already been vaccinated though? 300 who were willing to wait on line sounded pretty good to me on top of what has already been given out, but I'm no expert.

I know by me, that a lot of people that were originally against getting vaccinated ended up getting it after seeing family members and people they know get it. The % of holdouts I guess (from what I read, no personal knowledge) will be greater on St Barth, but it may not be as large as some are/were portraying. :pray1:

me too. Lots of them

I think you missed my point Rosita. I am happy that you have the freedom to post your pic on facebook or anywhere else that you want about getting vaccinated. I am happy that you are vaccinated because that is what you choose to do.

I am sure you also know plenty of people in st. barths that are not getting the vaccine, most likely some of your relatives.

My point is that the people who make a different choice may have the same freedom to post that they are not getting the vaccine, but if they do, then they get derogatory comments or someone stops coming to their business.
Cancel culture. You can’t have an opinion anymore.

facts :

Opinions :

Go St Barth !

c’est tout à fait ça
:up:

Originally Posted by Laurent
facts :

Opinions :

Go St Barth !

c’est tout à fait ça
:up:

:up: +1

Laurent, merci.

Hi Cass, nobody in particular,
I just meant : no need to debate on the amount of locals we each know,
because for the last few days/weeks here, "locals don't want the vaccine" was often stated

After they saw things went smooth and easy the last 2 days,
3 originally hesitant locals told me this morning they were on their way to take the plunge.

@JEK : my pleasure

Hi Cass, nobody in particular,
I just meant : no need to debate on the amount of locals we each know,
because for the last few days/weeks here, "locals don't want the vaccine" was often stated

After they saw things went smooth and easy the last 2 days,
3 originally hesitant locals told me this morning they were on their way to take the plunge.

@JEK : my pleasure

what does @JEK my pleasure mean?