Things Remembered and No Longer There

IMG_8264.jpg

View attachment 51083
Tois Forces ? Or something ...
My first raw egg on a pizza, what?, of course L'escale.(spelling)
Donuts across from the airport ?
Chez ______... that I think burnt down?
Feelings. I always wanted to go...
Colonial. My first coconut chicken soup thing.
Cafe Massai ?
Can't wait to arrive.

Massai, we dined there twice one year within same week or so, was quite good, the next year not so much especially when the server brought the unasked for check as soon as dessert was finished, there was no line at the door. Never back then failed & gone soon after.

Love this thread. Sipping espresso with a chocolate muffin at the pool bar at Filao chatting with Mario every afternoon at 4.00

. . . another ancient memory -- La Gloriette Restaurant when it was operated by a fellow named Dom, who was brother-in-law of Albert . . .

I'm reminded by an island friend & chronicler of island info that Albert's brother-in-law was named Serge . . . not Dom. He did go on, after leaving La Gloriette, to work for a while at Chez Dom . . . which, I have learned, previously was Chez Joe -- owned by Joe Felix who still has the restaurant at the airport.

Important historical footnotes in SBH lore!

Heading back for our 40 th year in February. Our memories of days gone by
The shack under the tree across the runway which was the “airport “ and renting a Moke or Guergel from Remy. My dad had to get out of the car to walk up hill to Castelet because car didn’t have the power to get 4 of us up the hill.
Shopping at Sodexa in St Jean . Mostly frozen meats that were rabbit goats etc. But they had jambon fume and fromage so we were all set.
Buying hydroponic tomatoes at Le Cave
The ladies of Guadaloupe selling fresh veggie in town
The Rotisserie in town kept us fed with take out and watching her little girl grow up.
Le Beach Club beside Eden Roc and Le Pelican. Sad day when it burned.
I love this thread and realizing how many wonderful places have disappeared.
Very few hotels rooms then . We were told 63 rooms on the island.
Thank you for the memories. Looking so forward to getting back .

The airport shack under the tree was before my time, but I recently ran across pictures of us in Mokes and Gurgels. I too remember shopping at Sodexa, the hydroponic tomatoes from La Cave in Marigot, the Guadeloupe ladies, and shopping at La Rotisserie in town. I don't remember if Le Beach Club (or was it St Barth Beach Club?) burned down before or after we started visiting, but I do remember the burned out shell.

Tois Forces ? Or something ...
My first raw egg on a pizza, what?, of course L'escale.(spelling)
Donuts across from the airport ?
Chez ______... that I think burnt down?
Feelings. I always wanted to go...
Colonial. My first coconut chicken soup thing.
Cafe Massai ?
Can't wait to arrive.

Tois Forces ? Or something ... Trois Forces, now said to be leased to Le Guanahani as staff housing.
My first raw egg on a pizza, what?, of course L'escale.(spelling) L'Escale, and if you were sharing a pizza, Supplement Oeuf, so that you could both have one.
Donuts across from the airport ? You've got me on that one. I don't recall donuts.
Chez ______... that I think burnt down? Chez Ginette, purveyor of flavored rhum in Anse des Cayes?
Feelings. I always wanted to go... Some would say that you didn't miss much, and if you arrived before 22:00, there wasn't much to miss.
Colonial. My first coconut chicken soup thing. Le Colonial, up the hill behind Le Glacier. Later Zanzibarth, and then Le Z.
Cafe Massai ? K'fé Massaï - I can't keep track of the name changes it went through before it was successfully reborn as the Lorient branch of Boulangerie Choisy.

I'm reminded by an island friend & chronicler of island info that Albert's brother-in-law was named Serge . . . not Dom. He did go on, after leaving La Gloriette, to work for a while at Chez Dom . . . which, I have learned, previously was Chez Joe -- owned by Joe Felix who still has the restaurant at the airport.

Important historical footnotes in SBH lore!

You had me a bit confused with Dom/Serge, but I figured that you know the family better than I do... Did Serge go on to run Le Creperie?

As to Joe Felix, I believe that he once had a restaurant in Corossol, upstairs, on the corner where the road turns to parallel the beach. I still think of the airport restaurant as Chez Joe, which is why it is listed as "Aerosnack (Chez Joe)" on my Resto List.

You had me a bit confused with Dom/Serge, but I figured that you know the family better than I do... Did Serge go on to run Le Creperie?

As to Joe Felix, I believe that he once had a restaurant in Corossol, upstairs, on the corner where the road turns to parallel the beach. I still think of the airport restaurant as Chez Joe, which is why it is listed as "Aerosnack (Chez Joe)" on my Resto List.

I don't know about Serge & La Creperie, Kevin. Last I knew of him, he wasn't working & was caring for his father, who was quite sick. That, however, was many years ago.

Funny that you mention the airport snack bar as Aerosnack . . . I thought it's still Chez Joe! (By the way, they have quite good sandwiches at lunch!)

Who can forget BouBou...we met him when he was a long haired waiter at Tamarin when we think he was married??to Cat the owner

The big ram’s horn, zshofar, in the waiting area at Santa Fe.

The jungle animal statuary at Masai

Le Carre run by Franck and his short lived Ephimery that preceded it

Ummm... I hate these snap quizzes. Mokes, renting Harleys from Denis Dufau at 2 different locations (still have a stash of tshirts that blow people away at Harley gatherings), L'Entre Ponte (sp?), "Costliet" :wink2:, the real bumpy road from Sante Fe to St. Jean on a rainy night in a Moke, St. Martin "open air" lounge & "special" gate for in-transit, Annie, the amazing super fast rebuilds after hurricanes & other "non-existant" climate change stuff, Eddies Ghetto ... so much to try to remember. :confused: