San Juan hotel?

Annabelle

SBH Member
Hi folks!

After missing last year, we are booked for March and hoping hoping hoping these pesky variants don't interfere because we NEED this trip... Anyhoo, we are staying overnight in San Juan on the way down (we booked our flights far in advance but it was still almost impossible to get ourselves from Boston to SBH, things were already so full, it's crazy) and will be getting in early in the day so we'd like a hotel with a nice pool. Any recommendations for someplace convenient to the airport, but that will still feel like part of our vacation?

Thanks much!

Anne & Greg

. . . not a budget hotel, but the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel is lovely, & food and service in its 1919 Restaurant are exceptional.

. . . not a budget hotel, but the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel is lovely, & food and service in its 1919 Restaurant are exceptional.

Just had lunch there on our way home from SBH yesterday (6 hour layover in SJU!) and it was a beautiful pool area overlooking the ocean. The lobby was quite nice and the bar there looks like it would be a good scene in the evening. Only 15 minute drive from SJU...

We stayed at the Intercontinental...a Ruth's Chris next door.

I think that the Intercontinental has been re-branded as a Royal Sonesta Hotel . . . I went by there recently during an overnight in San Juan's Isla Verde neighborhood, and the old Intercontinental appeared to have been significantly "dolled-up!"

What every happened with the Ritz Carlton? After Irma it was pressed into service for relief workers, but that must be over by now. Kevin was a fan of the popovers :D

I have searched in vain to find a firm reopening date for the Ritz Carlton. The closest thing to a date that I have found is mid-2022.

I have searched in vain to find a firm reopening date for the Ritz Carlton. The closest thing to a date that I have found is mid-2022.

. . . input I got when recently in Isla Verde is that no work is happening at the site and that the owners are trying to sell it.

Here's the recipe, you'll have to provide your own pan:

[h=2]Fluffy Popover Recipe[/h][h=4]Makes 12 popovers[/h]Ingredients:

• 4 cups milk, warmed
  • 8 eggs
  • 4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 heaping tablespoon salt
  • 2 1/4 cups grated gruyere cheese
  • Popover pan
Preparation:

1. Place the popover pan in the oven. Heat the oven and pan to 350 degrees.
  2. Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside.
  3. Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs). Set the mixture aside.
  4. Sift the flour with the salt. Slowly add this dry mixture to the milk and egg mixture, gently combining until mostly smooth.
  5. Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with non-stick vegetable spray.
  6. While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup 3/4 full. Top each popover with approximately 21/2 tablespoons of the grated gruyere.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking.
  8. Remove from the oven. Remove from the pan, and serve immediately.