Ouch! A cautionary tale.

A similar situation (I refuse to take ownership of THAT ding, btw) that occurred some years ago with Gumb’s is what moved me across the room to TopLoc. :sad1:

Happened to us, with her, as well last month. A mark the size of my thumb that most likely would rub right off way down by the left front tire. And the POS car she gave us had a huge dented scratch along the side. We are moving on from Gumbs.

Odile and Gumbs have always treated me fairly when it comes to damage that I have caused. I have put a pretty good scratch in a car, paid what I considered to be a fair price to repair it, and gotten the same car on my next rental, with the scratch repaired. There have been other incidents over the years, but I've always been satisfied with how they were resolved.

was just checking the rental car coverage on my CapOne Venture card. it seems to clearly be primary coverage if cdw is declined and domestic car policy doesnt cover out-of-country exposure. I guess I'm going with that.

Odile and Gumbs have always treated me fairly when it comes to damage that I have caused. I have put a pretty good scratch in a car, paid what I considered to be a fair price to repair it, and gotten the same car on my next rental, with the scratch repaired. There have been other incidents over the years, but I've always been satisfied with how they were resolved.

Totally agree for the most part, except our last trip. We have never had any damage to report on any of our rentals, so it's never been an issue. We have rented from Gumbs 3 times now and the vehicles we have been provided have all had their issues, cosmetically or functionality, but we just go with it as we know she is a highly respected merchant. We even turned down the free rental offer our villa agency had as a promotion (twice) to apply to an upgraded car to give her some additional business as we know COVID has been hard on all businesses. We thought an additional $100 or so wouldn't hurt us and like to do what we can for island resident owned businesses.

We have just decided to take the promotional deals, if any, from now on, no matter who the actual vendor is. Definitely not trying to harm a business, but to each their own and that's how our experiences have been and why we are moving on.

Maurice car rental deductible is 600euro.....

I am curious what the rental companies are charging for a small auto with AC,,,, I've rented through Maurice for 20 years or so, I'm paying 35e a day. Maybe this should be another post on this topic ?

was just checking the rental car coverage on my CapOne Venture card. it seems to clearly be primary coverage if cdw is declined and domestic car policy doesnt cover out-of-country exposure. I guess I'm going with that.

can you check and see if it covers a car you hit - as opposed to the one you are driving?

Maurice car rental deductible is 600euro.....

I am curious what the rental companies are charging for a small auto with AC,,,, I've rented through Maurice for 20 years or so, I'm paying 35e a day. Maybe this should be another post on this topic ?

About 60e per day for a mini cooper convertible.

can you check and see if it covers a car you hit - as opposed to the one you are driving?
it does not. that’s the third party liability that French law requires the rental company provides in price of rental. like service compris dans un restaurant :nerd:

If you damage someones property you should insist on paying.

Go ask your local dealer to do a ding or scratch repair back in the US. In the US I have never received a quote for any type of work less than $500, my last repair was a small 3" scratch on my drivers door and the US repair shop quoted me $1500 plus.

I happily pay, any time Odile requests a repair and she has consistently charged much less than I expect. Gumbs will always receive my business, she and her family are honest, hard working people and have never done wrong by my.