Good News out of New York State regarding quarantine !!

Detigi98

SBH Insider
Governor Cuomo JUST ANNOUNCED that anyone coming in to New York must test 3 days before and 4 days after entering the State. If tested negative, no more quarantine !! This effectively lowers the quarantine period to 4 days from 14. This is great news !! More coming... Just announced....

Governor Cuomo JUST ANNOUNCED that anyone coming in to New York must test 3 days before and 4 days after entering the State. If tested negative, no more quarantine !! This effectively lowers the quarantine period to 4 days from 14. This is great news !! More coming... Just announced....

I am just seeing this announcement. St Barth’s is currently one of the 31 countries NY’ers can visit without quarantine. Wondering if this will pertain to us?

Hi, reading this from Tradewind lounge at SJU with quirky WiFi. Can someone post a link with the specifics on this So I can figure out how to avoid a 14 day quarantine if possible? Thanks in advance

My concern is if this is just for Travel to other states and not for level 3 countries like St Barth

As per the NYS COVID hotline the new protocol only pertains to travel to/from other US States and not international travel. International travel to a level 2 or 3 Country still requires a 14 day quarantine upon return to NY regardless of whether or not you are tested before returning.

the St Barth specific issue is IMO still confusing because the rule still clearly states quarantine is mandatory if returning from a level 2 or level 3 Country on the CDC website, which St Barths is, but it also clearly lists St Barth as one of the 31 Countries that do not require a quarantine at all. The representative I spoke with told me the list is updated daily even though it has not been updated since it was posted. I asked her about St Barth specifically and she said quarantine was not required but if the person who we speak to at the airport upon arrival is using the CDC website list we will of course get a different answer. I guess we will find out later this week one way or the other.

As per the NYS COVID hotline the new protocol only pertains to travel to/from other US States and not international travel. International travel to a level 2 or 3 Country still requires a 14 day quarantine upon return to NY regardless of whether or not you are tested before returning.

the St Barth specific issue is IMO still confusing because the rule still clearly states quarantine is mandatory if returning from a level 2 or level 3 Country on the CDC website, which St Barths is, but it also clearly lists St Barth as one of the 31 Countries that do not require a quarantine at all. The representative I spoke with told me the list is updated daily even though it has not been updated since it was posted. I asked her about St Barth specifically and she said quarantine was not required but if the person who we speak to at the airport upon arrival is using the CDC website list we will of course get a different answer. I guess we will find out later this week one way or the other.

thanks for sharing your findings! Sounds like you are there now! Have a wonderful trip! Please update when you return!

Jim I can not believe the torturous loops you have been jumping through in order to be here.

Sure hope you are enjoying yourselves to the ‘Max.’

NYS has now changed it's rules for International travel as well. "Testing out" is now allowed. The website was updated yesterday and the separate section on "International travel" was removed and folded in with non-contiguous State travel. Same rule - tested 3 days or less before arriving in NY and then on the 4th day after return. If both tests come back negative you can end your quarantine.

For any traveler to New York State from a noncontiguous state, US territory or CDC level 2 or level 3 country, the new guidelines for travelers to test-out of the mandatory 14-day quarantine are below:

• For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
    • Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
    • The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests comes back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/covid-19-travel-advisory

NYS has now changed it's rules for International travel as well. "Testing out" is now allowed. The website was updated yesterday and the separate section on "International travel" was removed and folded in with non-contiguous State travel. Same rule - tested 3 days or less before arriving in NY and then on the 4th day after return. If both tests come back negative you can end your quarantine.

Thank you for all of your information sharing! I called the NY hotline the other day and they stated that St Barths was still ok! Things change so fast, I cannot keep up. Are you still on St Barth's. If so, are you going to get tested? I hope by February the NY airports have rapid tests waiting for us on arrival.

Thank you for all of your information sharing! I called the NY hotline the other day and they stated that St Barths was still ok! Things change so fast, I cannot keep up. Are you still on St Barth's. If so, are you going to get tested? I hope by February the NY airports have rapid tests waiting for us on arrival.
I called too, many times but it really wasn't OK ever since it was raised to level 3 by the CDC. As I suspected the list wasn't updated to match the CDC list which is why it has been the same 31 Countries since it was posted. The key is the CDC list. That is why they now removed the list of International locations altogether on the NYS website and simply direct you to the CDC website. Through no fault of their own, the COVID hotline people just don't have the best info. When it comes time to fill out the form it specifically states the CDC list and that is what the contact tracing people look at.

I am home now. Can leave quarantine after I get my test results back assuming I am negative. I can't take the test until Monday.

I called too, many times but it really wasn't OK ever since it was raised to level 3 by the CDC. As I suspected the list wasn't updated to match the CDC list which is why it has been the same 31 Countries since it was posted. The key is the CDC list. That is why they now removed the list of International locations altogether on the NYS website and simply direct you to the CDC website. Through no fault of their own, the COVID hotline people just don't have the best info. When it comes time to fill out the form it specifically states the CDC list and that is what the contact tracing people look at.

I am home now. Can leave quarantine after I get my test results back assuming I am negative. I can't take the test until Monday.

How was the testing process on St Barth’s? I wish we could go first thing in the morning, rather than right smack in the middle of the day! As far as testing back in NY, does the day of return count as day #1? We return on Saturday, hoping I can test on Tuesday. I’m starting to reconsider our February trip. Not trying to be political at all but I think there will be changes to the response of the pandemic come January 20th.

Divabella, so much can happen between trips that you can only keep yourself informed and then decide. It sure is going to be interesting and I think there will be constant travel changes around the world. Check airlines, check exit and Entrance regulations, and stay safe!

The CDC has added level 4 to its travel advisory list and apparently NY hasn't figured it out yet and still states you must quarantine from a level 2 or 3 Country (no mention of level 4) - on a technicality level 4 is ok since it isn't addressed??? :thinking1: Obviously not as per the spirit of the rule, but legally...

Sooooo...once they figure it out, let's see what happens. St Barth is level 2. Level 2 out of 3 required a quarantine. I guess it's most likely that level 2 out of 4 still will and obviously level 3 and level 4 will, but we will have to wait until they catch up to be sure about level 2

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has announced new guidelines allowing travelers to New York to “test out” of the mandatory 14-day quarantine. Travelers from states that are contiguous with New York are exempt from the travel advisory; however covered travelers must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form. Essential workers will continue to be exempt as well. The guidance also applies to international travelers coming from any CDC Level 2 or Level 3 Health Notice country. The new protocol is effective Wednesday, November 4.
For any traveler to New York State from a noncontiguous state, US territory or CDC level 2 or level 3 country, the new guidelines for travelers to test-out of the mandatory 14-day quarantine are below:

• For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
    • Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
    • The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests comes back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test

I'll put this here because I don't think this is pertinent for any travel related testing other than the tests required by NY to end your quarantine early. It may have changed since then, but basically I was told by my contact tracer that ANY negative COVID test was acceptable to NY to end your quarantine. I brought up all different types and was told again that any test was acceptable. I guess in theory you could buy two and take one 3 days before returning to NY and the 2nd on the 4th day after your return to NY.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/15/fda-oks-at-home-covid-test-that-offers-near-instant-results/

Como announced that NYS is shortening its quarantine period to 10 days to match the CDC guidelines