Carl Gustaf

cassidain

Senior Insider
I have very little knowledge of the history of the Carl Gustaf. Was there once for a forum get together but not particularly impressed.

I believe the current effort is two or three removed from the first iteration?

I’m wondering what the Senior Insiders think the chances of this iteration succeeding are. If indeed the previous efforts failed?

Merci par avance :blush-smile:

The overall effort, which has the deepest of pockets, will succeed.

If you’re asking about the restaurant, my understanding is that you can count profitable hotel restaurants on St Barth on the fingers of a single hand, and you won’t need many of those fingers.

Succeeding, the overall effort requires a restaurant, therefor the restaurant will be deemed to succeed.

Thinking back to the old Goose, we ate dinner there exactly once, on a special night. We left before dessert, and capped the night with a Tarte au Citron and Deux Coupes at Le Repaire. The food was better at Le Repaire.

And then we moved on to an event at Normandie, which was also more interesting than our dinner at the Goose.

The old Goose was successful.

We value our friends, at Repaire, at the old Normandie, and at everywhere else where we frequent.

The overall effort, which has the deepest of pockets, will succeed.

If you’re asking about the restaurant, my understanding is that you can count profitable hotel restaurants on St Barth on the fingers of a single hand, and you won’t need many of those fingers.

Succeeding, the overall effort requires a restaurant, therefor the restaurant will be deemed to succeed.

Thinking back to the old Goose, we ate dinner there exactly once, on a special night. We left before dessert, and capped the night with a Tarte au Citron and Deux Coupes at Le Repaire. The food was better at Le Repaire.

And then we moved on to an event at Normandie, which was also more interesting than our dinner at the Goose.

The old Goose was successful.

We value our friends, at Repaire, at the old Normandie, and at everywhere ese where we frequent.

Thank you for recalling that evening, Kevin . . . I recall it when you & Kate came to be part of the party, with so many mutual friends (who largely had become friends through SBHOnline). Hasn’t it brought together so many compatible people, so many of whom have genuinely become friends!!

Historically, Wendy & I have had pleasure in entertaining SBH Online — and island — friends in November cocktail parties, & it’s a regret that the Covid pandemic interferes with doing so this season. Perhaps the Spring “season” will be another opening for bringing friends together.

Meanwhile your assessment of hotels, their restaurants, & profitability of the aforesaid is “spot on!” There’s a reason that they’re here . . . it’s a long term play. As time passes, I find pleasure in aspects of most of them!

My recollection is that there was a death in the family, a change in passion, a change in focus, and cash won out over continuity. Like the restaurant business, the hotel business requires a certain amount of passion. Either that or deep pockets and a longterm plan.