Supermarket prices

Snorkeler

SBH Member
In Saint Martin, the Super U market has a great selection and the best prices on SXM, making it (in my experience) one of the best supermarkets in the Western Hemisphere (considering, for example, the variety of French cheeses and wines). But the Marche U near the airport in Saint Barts has a more limited selection.

I recently discovered that the Mono Shop market in Marigot, Saint Barts -- a small market serving mostly nearby residents -- has a better selection of some items at lower prices than the Marche U near the airport. For example, the Mono Shop has a better selection of frozen fish, including mahi mahi filets and large frozen shrimp, both of which have been unavailable at Marche U recently. And a bottle of Dewars scotch is 2 euros cheaper at Mono Shop than Marche U. Similarly, a bottle of vin ordinaire (inexpensive French red wine) is over 5 euros a bottle at Marche U, but can be purchased for 2.50 euros a bottle at Mono Shop. These discoveries upended my assumptions about small stores on Saint Barts.

My house in Marigot is close by to the Mono Shop, so I go there regularly & would agree that it offers favorable pricing on numerous items — alcohol & water, included. Very nice people run it, with a very neighborhood feeling.

In this regard, I also recommend Jojo’s in Lorient. Favorable prices on many items & a very good selection.

I agree and often run into JoJo and love the island market feel. they also have a lot of fresh items from Guadeloupe... boudin noir anyone?

CB39CB8C-1C82-4C14-BD55-0E6A34B48222.jpeg
Yes Ellen, I love boudin noir, aka blood sausage, blood pudding ( Trinidad my family), morcilla ( my in laws in Spain) . Every year when we are on the island i get some.

Wow, thanks so much for your observations! Our villa is in Vitet and we would much rather go to a smaller, closer grocery. We do go to JoJo's quite a bit, but usually go to the Super U by the airport when we fly in and then once every week or so. We'll definitely give Mono Shop a try next time!

I agree and often run into JoJo and love the island market feel. they also have a lot of fresh items from Guadeloupe... boudin noir anyone?

Ellen, Weaver's at the Lancaster Farmer's Market in Strafford/Wayne PA had this, tho I never, ever partook !