Carl Gustaf - Fouquet’s

cec1

Senior Insider
At the risk of writing a message that offers an opinion that is contrary to Didier’s highly gratifying dinner experience (https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/99853-Carl-Gustaf-opening-night?highlight=Fouquet), I’ll offer a bit of commentary on my luncheon experience there. The difference in experience may be attributable to lunch vs. dinner.

The setting can be said to be breathtaking . . . exactly as so many of us recall from the Hotel’s past years of “glory.”
2D0C2441-9DC0-488F-97FD-C1F40BDE608D.jpg

The time with my companion, however, was prominently marked by the fact that we were the O-N-L-Y guests. From 12:15 to 2:30. Sunday afternoon.
3914A0F5-929A-4E5B-ADB7-D533AD1ECE43.jpg
(This photo, BTW, was taken as we were leaving, when tables had been set for dinner with tablecloths . . . not part of the luncheon setting.)

Nonetheless, elegant table appointments — fine leather cases for the menu & wine list, highly refined placemats, elegant (perhaps Murano) glassware, & exquisitely woven napkins. Service also was impeccable (apparently because of the absence of guests, the bartender — a very refined young guy, “Antoine “ — also served as our waiter). I would say, however, that the “deuce” tables / chairs on the terrace are uncomfortably crammed into small spaces between columns of the balcony.

The food was excellent . . . but, to be very honest — not better, IMO, than at other top-of-the-line SBH restaurants. And at least as expensive as you’ll find elsewhere at other gourmet venues.

If I’m sounding negative, I’m very sorry to be perceived that way — the meal was delicious. Stunning view . . . an elegant, albeit lonely, dining venue . . . and elegantly understated re-do of the Hotel. Give it a “go” . . . and I clearly should re-visit for dinner.

Attachments

• 829ADDF6-1699-4266-8775-C44159262287.jpg
    829ADDF6-1699-4266-8775-C44159262287.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 824
Dennis, I’m not quite following what it was precisely that wasn’t satisfactory.
Seems like a positive review other than melancholy ambiance from lack of fellow diners. Which I have no problem understanding given all the rules and regulations on French jurisdictions.

Dennis, I’m not quite following what it was precisely that wasn’t satisfactory.
Seems like a positive review other than melancholy ambiance from lack of fellow diners. Which I have no problem understanding given all the rules and regulations on French jurisdictions.

I’ll elaborate in two ways, Cass.
1. Diana’s description of a festive evening ambience set an expectation for me that wasn’t satisfied. Kind of like going to a film when the reviews have been over the top . . . and being let down in seeing it. In this regard, I generally find quiet restaurant venues to be very much to my liking, especially when the settings & service are exceptional (Le Sereno comes to mind). In this experience, though the setting can be said to be “breathtaking,” & the luncheon place-setting was attractive, it still was service (albeit very nice) of the bartender cum waiter. (I haven’t been to Fouquet’s in Paris, but its reputation belies Sunday's lunch experience.)
2. While I didn’t mention it earlier, in view of your query, I’ll add that one of our items, lentil hummus, was banal. Flavorless to the point that we abundantly added salt & pepper in an attempt to make it flavorful. In retrospect, we should have simply sent it back.

I continue to be pleased at having been there, and, like Ruth Reichel, former food critic for The NY Times, I’ll eat there three times before giving a final opinion (perhaps as I should have done on this occasion).

carl gustaf was 3/4 full on opening night. so it was very festive. I am sure as the season progresses, all the restaurants will be full. Eddy's the other night was almost full too. I understand Maya's restaurant in public will be open soon, so happy they will be back.

What are the seating options if one goes to capitalize on the view and a cocktail or two before dining elsewhere?

As I recall, there are two small seating areas near the bar — each with a sofa & a couple of arm chairs at a coffee table. There would be some view, though limited. Whether they would let you sit at a table, indoors or outside, probably depends on whether you want to order any food. My recollection is that there also are some stools at the bar where you could sit & turn your back to the bar so as to look outside.

Is there anything resembling a sunset lounge for visitors?

Not that I recall . . . though there’s an area that could be configured as a small lounge. When I was there, it was filled with tables & chairs for dinner service.

... which occurs well before Saint-Barth dinner hours.
Speaking of which, 54 départements plus French Polynesia are now under curfew from 9pm to 6am. Restaurants are either closed for dinner or opening much earlier. Talk of a 7pm curfew or even a « reconfinement ». À suivre ...

there is! when you arrive at the entrance, there are two small lounges. I was seated in the first lounge for drinks before being seated for dinner. we then had dinner outside after drinks. there is another lounge after the first one, next to the bar area, with a sofa and a couple of chairs. very nice. the first lounge in the pic below. by the way, you can go to the lounge just for drinks, you do not have to order any food.

IMG_0371.JPG

there is! when you arrive at the entrance, there are two small lounges. I was seated in the first lounge for drinks before being seated for dinner. we then had dinner outside after drinks. there is another lounge after the first one, next to the bar area, with a sofa and a couple of chairs. very nice. the first lounge in the pic below. by the way, you can go to the lounge just for drinks, you do not have to order any food.

View attachment 54136
Do either of the two lounges provide the quintessential "Carl Gustaf view" that I often read about on here? TBH that is why we would go. I can get an overpriced drink anywhere on the Island...

Do either of the two lounges provide the quintessential "Carl Gustaf view" that I often read about on here? TBH that is why we would go. I can get an overpriced drink anywhere on the Island...

only the second lounge next to the bar has the view you are looking for. the first lounge has a glass behind it, so the view is obstructed in the first lounge.

the best view of course are the outside tables for lunch or dinner, but if you had a small group, ( no more than six ) I am sure they would allow you outside near the telescope to have your drink before they start seating guests for dinner.

Thanks Diana!!!
What is the parking situation like? Valet only?

you're welcome. parking situation not good. we were " lucky " and snagged a spot near the bottom of the stairs where you can walk up to the hotel. so many steps, we were sweating by the time we arrived at the top. I would highly recommend the valet. just drive around the curve and you will see the main entrance, a valet will be waiting so pull in and give him your keys.

As I described (“. . . there are two small seating areas near the bar — each with a sofa & a couple of arm chairs at a coffee table. There would be some view, though limited.”), & Diana confirms (“. . . when you arrive at the entrance, there are two small lounges . . .”), there isn’t the welcoming sunset cocktail environment that we remember from the “good ol’ days” of the Carl Gustaf.