Covid Test in Miami

EddyG

SBH Insider
I'm from Ohio and could not find any place in the state that will do the proper test and guarantee the results within 72 hrs. I did find a place that is a 5 minute taxi ride from the Miami airport that will do that. The doctor is Josefina Tur, web site http://stdbloodtesting.com/covid-19-test and phone 305-642-7111.

I was there today and the charge is $130. If it's done before 11:30 AM, you get the results the next day by 8:30 AM or so. The anti-body test is $100. They take appointments and the entire time there for me was about 30 minutes. There is a Fairfield Inn and Marriott one block away - about a 5 minute walk.

Hotels in South Beach are a bargain now with restaurants open and Ocean Drive closed to vehicles.

If you go, tell them Ed sent you.

...I was there today and the charge is $130...

The linked site states that that PCR is provided but describes the $130 test as:
  • MOST ACCURATE FOR COVID ANTIGEN DETECTION / DIAGNOSIS

So, consider verifying that the test is the PCR that St Barth requires and, if so, that the reported result clearly states this. The 24-48 hr turnaround is consistent with a PCR but the description of the test does not match.

Antigen vs. molecular tests (such as PCR) are discussed in a link on the Miami physician's website (as well as previously on the forum). In brief, antigen tests detect protein and molecular tests detect genetic material (a virus is genetic material wrapped in a coat of proteins). Molecular tests are better at detecting virus than the available antigen tests.

The test is the nasal one. I took the anti-body one as an option just for me to see if I already had it and did not know it.

The test is the nasal one. I took the anti-body one as an option just for me to see if I already had it and did not know it.

A nasal source for the sample does not indicate whether a PCR or an antigen test was done - nasal samples are used for both. This is detailed in the "find out more" link to an FDA document on the website of the office that you visited.

Izzy, why do you care so much? give Eddy a break....lol. trust me they barely look at the paperwork at the airport at sbh.

Ed hasn’t been online much during the new changes and I commend Izzy for making sure he is getting what he needs for his annual stay. Lots of confusion on testing these days and it is necessary to do it right.

Ed hasn’t been online much during the new changes and I commend Izzy for making sure he is getting what he needs for his annual stay. Lots of confusion on testing these days and it is necessary to do it right.

I am sure ed received the correct test, ed is very smart. he does not have to be on this website to know what test to get for entry to sbh.

I just thought since Izzy had already made her views known on this thread, it seemed a little overboard to for her to say that Ed might have received the wrong test.

the airlines won't let you on the plane if the test is not correct for where they are taking you. tradewind airlines looked over my paperwork thoroughly. however at the sbh airport, first my passport was stamped before the test results were even looked at . Then I went to baggage claim where there were two people waiting for me, one who took my temperature and the other who looked at my test results. all he did was count on his fingers that my test results were within the 3 day deadline.

To clarify:

My suggestion that Ed "consider" verifying the type of test was based on what I considered unclear and contradictory information on the physician's website. I suspect Ed got the right test but I have seen individuals not get the test that they thought they were getting, at least in part due to descriptions by the provider.

My second post regarding the source of sample was made due to misunderstandings that come up regarding PCR (and other molecular tests) vs. antigen tests. Many have misunderstandings - sometimes believing that if it is a "rt-pcr test, then its a nasal swab", (e.g. post 69 in this thread) or that a "nasal swab covid test" is synonymous with a PCR test as might be inferred from post 26 in this thread or from Ed's response.

An underlying source of misunderstanding may be oversimplification of the entire virus as an "antigen" in very basic discussions to which many have been exposed in pre-COVID days. This was acceptable before knowing the differences between testing for antigenic protein and genetic material became necessary for some every day purposes and travel. It is similar to the most common oversimplification in scientific teaching -but few need more advanced understanding of that.

I hope Ed did not take any of this differently. If he did, I apologize to him.

I hope to not comment further, except to Ed if needed and to thank Missy for her post that came up while I was writing this.

To clarify:

My suggestion that Ed "consider" verifying the type of test was based on what I considered unclear and contradictory information on the physician's website. I suspect Ed got the right test but I have seen individuals not get the test that they thought they were getting, at least in part due to descriptions by the provider.

My second post regarding the source of sample was made due to misunderstandings that come up regarding PCR (and other molecular tests) vs. antigen tests. Many have misunderstandings - sometimes believing that if it is a "rt-pcr test, then its a nasal swab", (e.g. post 69 in this thread) or that a "nasal swab covid test" is synonymous with a PCR test as might be inferred from post 26 in this thread or from Ed's response.

An underlying source of misunderstanding may be oversimplification of the entire virus as an "antigen" in very basic discussions to which many have been exposed in pre-COVID days. This was acceptable before knowing the differences between testing for antigenic protein and genetic material became necessary for some every day purposes and travel. It is similar to the most common oversimplification in scientific teaching -but few need more advanced understanding of that.

Thanks, Izzy. Your info/data are always very informative/helpful.

I sent all of the negative results to Tradewind with no negative response. If I make it to SBH it was good. More from Le Select Thurs. eve. - hopefully.

I sent all of the negative results to Tradewind with no negative response. If I make it to SBH it was good. More from Le Select Thurs. eve. - hopefully.

You will have to register your name at select or any restaurant you go to while you are here on the island.

most people are giving fake names at select, I don't think it will work for you as everyone knows you.

dda has to register everyday at bananiers for lunch.

You will have to register your name at select or any restaurant you go to while you are here on the island.

most people are giving fake names at select, I don't think it will work for you as everyone knows you.

dda has to register everyday at bananiers for lunch.
Contact tracing?

Contact tracing?
Andy, you posted it!

In addition, in the context of a potential contamination with covid-19 and in order to improve the search for contact cases, customers are invited to provide the restaurant with the names, first names and cell phone numbers of the guests. This information will be kept for 15 days by restaurateurs and will only be used in the context of the search for contact cases linked to covid-19.”