Dengue

sfbarts

SBH Member
So we are coming down mid November, have the Covid test figured out we think.... But I think I am more worried about Dengue than Covid..... I see the incredible amount of cases. Are they doing any additional spraying , or any Dengue advice from anyone?
I was un-lucky enough to get Zika a few years back and don't really want to add Dengue to my resume! ha ha

Right you are to be cautious. Well over 50% of our friends here have gotten the dengue this season....and with the massive amount of rains we have seen in October the bugs are definitely out.

Have your villa owner spray right before you come, keep doors closed in late afternoon until 6.30-7 ish and buy one of those fun electric fly swatters! Of the two types of moustique here, it’s the dark black ones that carry the dengue.

So we are coming down mid November, have the Covid test figured out we think.... But I think I am more worried about Dengue than Covid..... I see the incredible amount of cases. Are they doing any additional spraying , or any Dengue advice from anyone?
I was un-lucky enough to get Zika a few years back and don't really want to add Dengue to my resume! ha ha
Here are some precautions to take
https://www.sbhonline.com/forums/showthread.php/82795-Complete-Guide-To-Avoiding-Mosquito-Bites

This article about the current dengue situation was in Le Journal last week. I translated it on Google...

[FONT=&quot]The dengue epidemic continues to grow in Saint-Barthélemy. The latest epidemiological bulletin from Public Health France reports 1,031 clinically suggestive cases of dengue fever reported by general practitioners on the island since mid-April. Last week 53 cases were reported, and 63 the week before. Between September 21 and 27, seven patients went to the emergency room at De Bruyn Hospital, three of whom were hospitalized. Since the start of the epidemic 257 people have gone to the emergency room due to symptoms of dengue fever, 26% of whom have been hospitalized. The dengue virus is circulating throughout the island. It is advisable to protect oneself from this by eliminating any reserve of water, even tiny, which would allow mosquitoes to reproduce; this is even more important after the rains of the past few days. Doctors report a case suggestive of dengue fever when the patient ticks several boxes: high fever (over 38.5 °) having started suddenly, and at least one of the other signs attributable to dengue (stiffness or retro-orbital pain or severe pain). tired). The third factor is that the patient should be free of any sign of another infectious disease. The whole of the French West Indies is at the stage of an epidemic. The situation tends to worsen in Guadeloupe, while it stabilizes in Saint-Martin.[/FONT]

These numbers are WAY under-reported...there is no reason to see a doctor unless you have complications, so the vast majority are not counted