Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment

And what about Toussant and All Hallows' Day--are these holiday/ holy days causing the lab to close? It gets so darn complicated to get there and stay there and follow the rules surrounding ravel and health and general good and welfare..

And what about Toussant and All Hallows' Day--are these holiday/ holy days causing the lab to close? It gets so darn complicated to get there and stay there and follow the rules surrounding ravel and health and general good and welfare..

I am sure the lab is closed on all holidays. esp. a national holiday. you may be able get your test sooner in that case, you can always call the lab and ask whether they want you a day sooner or a day later.

Re: Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment.

Thank you to Kevin, and so many others, for real time updates in this ever changing environment.

For those of us (possibly over analytical, planner types), would those of you "in the know" mind taking a look at this attempt at a summary of the current travel situation (subject to change at any moment), and "yay" or "nay" and "fill in any blanks?

---------------

As in the past, the two most common connections to reach SBH are through SXM and SJU.

Flight travel through SJU is provided by Tradewinds, and through SXM by Winward and St. Barth Commuter. There is a premium to travel with Tradewinds, but, by reports, they have done an exceptional job managing and streamlining the COVID related process for travelers. As always, there are various well qualified premium services available to support travelers through SXM. There is always a "do it yourself” option as well through SXM. Those traveling through SXM during the recent “quiet” travel period have reported a relatively seamless “do it yourself” process, albeit possibly innocuously inconsistent and possibly subject to a different experience as “the season” kicks in, and there is increased visitor traffic.

To enter the island, there is a requirement (at this time) of evidence that a PCR test has been administered w/in 72 hours of arrival. Reports are that people have successfully fulfilled that requirement by various means, often paying a premium to do so.

If staying on SBH for more than 7 days, an additional PCR test must be administered on SBH, at the traveler’s expense.

If traveling through SXM, there is a special paperwork requirement, the EHAS form, which can be completed on line after receipt of negative COVID test results. SXM will acknowledge receipt and, within a couple of hours, grant access to the island. Reports are that while the paperwork has been reviewed by the departing airline, it was not necessarily considered by SXM employees. There are reports that SXM is considering requiring some sort of COVID related expense insurance. TBD.

On island reports are mixed. There are reports of masks generally being used in restricted areas. Although some visitors require testing results for entry, that is not the case, at this time, for all “off island” visitors. There has been a reported increase in cases on SBH attributed to untested “off island” visitors and some residents returning from Portugal. So far, there have been no deaths, and only one patient was airlifted off island (to the best of my recollection).

If a traveler becomes ill, the options for U.S. residents are to be transported to Guadeloupe or the U.S. (SXM?). Medjet is expanding coverage, related to COVID illness, as of October 19, but with notable restrictions and benefit qualifications worth reviewing. (link provided on Medjet thread)

Depending on the state to where you are returning, there may be a 14 day quarantine requirement for returning from SBH.

Another consideration for travelers is the "expense" (financial and emotional) should a traveler receive a positive test within the 72 hour window, and need to cancel flights and accommodations.

All this detail aside, those who have been on island through the various stages of the island's pandemic management, and those who have recently visited the island, share uplifting reports of its ever present beauty, serenity and refuge. Aaaaaah.

No one has answered this question: We will be tested on a Monday. Because of canceled flights we are on planes Tuesday arriving in St. Martin Wednesday afternoon and St. Barth Commuter onto St Bart’s same day. We will not have test result paperwork on hand, only the emailed test results. Will this be accepted in SXM and St. Bart’s upon entry? We have traveled similar dates in November for 21 years. We thought long and hard about this year and it seems to get more complicated daily. Any answer will be helpful.

Jstricklen wrote: "We will not have test result paperwork on hand, only the emailed test results."

A copy of test results, which I printed from my computer the night before my travel, was perfectly satisfactory upon my arrival on SBH in July.

Re: Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment.

No one has answered this question: We will be tested on a Monday. Because of canceled flights we are on planes Tuesday arriving in St. Martin Wednesday afternoon and St. Barth Commuter onto St Bart’s same day. We will not have test result paperwork on hand, only the emailed test results. Will this be accepted in SXM and St. Bart’s upon entry? We have traveled similar dates in November for 21 years. We thought long and hard about this year and it seems to get more complicated daily. Any answer will be helpful.

You have to complete an online form for SXM too. This link has more information. https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

FYI

[h=3]Covid-19: New health restrictions to be respected in the French part[/h][FONT=&quot]Post on: 16th October

[/FONT]

16-10-2020-sanitaire-1000x600.jpg

Due to the spread of the Covid-19 epidemic, the state of health emergency was declared from October 17, that is to say this Friday evening at midnight throughout the national territory.
The Prefecture of Saint-Barthélemy and Saint-Martin invites all economic players and citizens to take note of the following measures:
• Gatherings, meetings or activities of more than 6 people on public roads or in places open to the public are prohibited.
• Private parties are prohibited in establishments open to the public
• In bars and restaurants, guests will be limited to 6 per table and the names of customers must be registered.
• Rule of 4m² per person in high traffic areas
• Reinforcement of teleworking in companies and in administrations when possible
• At home, it is recommended to limit family or social gatherings to a maximum of 6 people and to wear a mask on this occasion.
These measures are taken to deal with the resurgence of the epidemic in our territories. The Prefecture calls on the entire population to respect them and to show good citizenship.

1082 total views , 900 views today

Sent from my iPad

I think it has to do with where you’ve been in the last 14 days before going back through SXM. With our trip to SBH only being 7 days, we would have still been in the US and subject to testing as a result. I would love to NOT have to take a test to go back through. Do you have a link that’s different from this? The saliva test, therapeutic and vaccine can’t come soon enough!

View attachment 54018

Tiffany, I looked further into this (aside from the info from St. Barth Commuter). There is additional information on the site that lists the risk levels from some areas of travel with St. Bart's falling, at this time, at the lowest level of risk...and, so, not subject to the testing (at this time as I understand it), if in transit from SBH.

Tiffany, I looked further into this (aside from the info from St. Barth Commuter). There is additional information on the site that lists the risk levels from some areas of travel with St. Bart's falling, at this time, at the lowest level of risk...and, so, not subject to the testing (at this time as I understand it), if in transit from SBH.

All I can say is Uncle lol.

It’s really confusing. I read it as you’re fine not to take the test coming back if you’ve been in St. Barts for longer than 14 days. Since our trip was a week long, we would have been in the US within 14 days even coming back. I got the info by clicking through the links on the St Barth Commuter site. It was on the SXM FAQ page. We ending postponing this trip and are hoping things change, for the better, by the time of our February one.

So then what if you are leaving the island on the morning of your 8th day? It would be impossible to be tested and have the results before you leave... Do you get tested on day 7 then, just so you can get on a flight the morning of day 8?