Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2005 flamands Posts: 5,272

Re: Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment

this comes directly from sxm web site:

connecting passengers via sint maarten sxm

no rt-pcr test required if you are traveling from st. barths to sint maarten if you are IN TRANSIT at Juliana airport.

Senior Insider Joined: Jan 2004 In the ether . . . Posts: 52,193

One day in the not-too-distance future our trip planning will not include “PCR”. Let’s celebrate that day when it arrives.
    The Marius 100th Birthday Party Memorial -- June 5, 2023

SBH Insider Joined: Jun 2014 Virginia Beach, VA Posts: 768

Quote Originally Posted by didier View Post
    this comes directly from sxm web site:

connecting passengers via sint maarten sxm

no rt-pcr test required if you are traveling from st. barths to sint maarten if you are IN TRANSIT at Juliana airport.
    I think it has to do with where you’ve been in the last 14 days before going back through SXM. With our trip to SBH only being 7 days, we would have still been in the US and subject to testing as a result. I would love to NOT have to take a test to go back through. Do you have a link that’s different from this? The saliva test, therapeutic and vaccine can’t come soon enough!

Name:  CF7B2045-B1EA-4FC3-B15E-324898C33CDA.png
Views: 528
Size:  284.7 KB

Tiffany , if you go on st. barths commuter site, you will see the same thing as I wrote earlier. it says travelers from st. barth's to juliana airport, DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN RT- PCR COVID TEST AS LONG AS YOU ARE IN TRANSIT.

I know you are worried, but go on commuters site, and you can read this for yourself. If you wish to get a test, you can do that also, its just not required for persons in transit at Juliana coming from sbh to sxm.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,134

Can someone chime in regarding testing needing to be done after being on SBH for 7 days? We arrived on Saturday and while not being smooth, we made it. Late departure leaving Nantucket which made us miss our PR fight from Boston. We arrived PR too late to make it to SBH so had to overnight. Tradewind got us on the first flight the following morning and called someone on the SBH side to smooth over the fact that our testing would be out of date so to speak, by a few hours. We arrived on time Saturday morning with an amazing over the water landing. Covid paper work was shown near the baggage belt and there was no issue.
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

Quote Originally Posted by Reed View Post
    Can someone chime in regarding testing needing to be done after being on SBH for 7 days? We arrived on Saturday and while not being smooth, we made it. Late departure leaving Nantucket which made us miss our PR fight from Boston. We arrived PR too late to make it to SBH so had to overnight. Tradewind got us on the first flight the following morning and called someone on the SBH side to smooth over the fact that our testing would be out of date so to speak, by a few hours. We arrived on time Saturday morning with an amazing over the water landing. Covid paper work was shown near the baggage belt and there was no issue.
    I have chimed in about this issue several times. only the airlines and the airports keep up to date info, not travel agencies. st. barth commuter site says TRAVELERS DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A RT-PCR TEST IF FLYING FROM SBH TO SXM IF THEY ARE IN TRANSIT ONLY.

info is updated on a regular basis. THIS NEW INFO WAS UPDATED ON OCT. 1, in transit passengers from sbh arriving to sxm as long as they stay in transit, RT-PCR TEST IS NOT REQUIRED.

SBH Insider Joined: Oct 2002 Philadelphia Posts: 44,060

Diana- I think Kim wants to know about testing on SBH after 7 days on SBH.

Andy

SBH Insider Joined: May 2003 Saint Barth Posts: 10,775

In theory you need to be re-tested after you are here for 7 days, if you are staying longer. The lab is in town by the Collectivity. Not sure if you need to make an appointment first or not... Dennis did the 7-day test last time he was here so he can probably fill you in on the details.

Quote Originally Posted by andynap View Post
    Diana- I think Kim wants to know about testing on SBH after 7 days on SBH.
    I agree Andy, I misread it. I thought everyone knew that if you have just arrived on the island, that you need to be tested if you are staying here longer than 7 days. my bad, lol.. looks like ellen answered her question anyway.

SBH Insider Joined: Nov 2009 Nantucket - St. Barth's Posts: 1,134

I guess to be more specific, does one get tested EXACTLY 7 days after arrival or generally around that time?
    "Like" Us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/nantucketcatering

I guess to be more specific, does one get tested EXACTLY 7 days after arrival or generally around that time?
    on the 8th day.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2008 Glen Cove,L. I., NY Posts: 26,794

Are they open for testing on weekends?
    Remember Yesterday, Dream About Tomorrow, But Live Today.

they are open mon-friday 2 to 3 p.m. sat. 9 to 10 a.m.

Thanks Diana.

SBH Member Joined: Feb 2009 Wilton, CT Posts: 29

on the 8th day.
    If you are arriving on a Saturday and leaving on the following Saturday, 1 week, is testing required? Saturday would be the 8th day.

And what about Toussant and All Hallows' Day--are these holiday/ holy days causing the lab to close? It gets so darn complicated to get there and stay there and follow the rules surrounding ravel and health and general good and welfare..

Quote Originally Posted by csordas95 View Post
    If you are arriving on a Saturday and leaving on the following Saturday, 1 week, is testing required? Saturday would be the 8th day.
    sat to sat, then sunday would be your 8th day. so no worries there.

Quote Originally Posted by amyb View Post
    And what about Toussant and All Hallows' Day--are these holiday/ holy days causing the lab to close? It gets so darn complicated to get there and stay there and follow the rules surrounding ravel and health and general good and welfare..
    I am sure the lab is closed on all holidays. esp. a national holiday. you may be able get your test sooner in that case, you can always call the lab and ask whether they want you a day sooner or a day later.

SBH Member Joined: Sep 2019 Posts: 27

The lab is now open for 1 hour per day for covid tests...check le journal

Thank you.

SBH New Member Joined: Oct 2020 Posts: 1

Question Re: Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment.

Quote Originally Posted by debd View Post
    Thank you to Kevin, and so many others, for real time updates in this ever changing environment.

For those of us (possibly over analytical, planner types), would those of you "in the know" mind taking a look at this attempt at a summary of the current travel situation (subject to change at any moment), and "yay" or "nay" and "fill in any blanks?

---------------

As in the past, the two most common connections to reach SBH are through SXM and SJU.

Flight travel through SJU is provided by Tradewinds, and through SXM by Winward and St. Barth Commuter. There is a premium to travel with Tradewinds, but, by reports, they have done an exceptional job managing and streamlining the COVID related process for travelers. As always, there are various well qualified premium services available to support travelers through SXM. There is always a "do it yourself” option as well through SXM. Those traveling through SXM during the recent “quiet” travel period have reported a relatively seamless “do it yourself” process, albeit possibly innocuously inconsistent and possibly subject to a different experience as “the season” kicks in, and there is increased visitor traffic.

To enter the island, there is a requirement (at this time) of evidence that a PCR test has been administered w/in 72 hours of arrival. Reports are that people have successfully fulfilled that requirement by various means, often paying a premium to do so.

If staying on SBH for more than 7 days, an additional PCR test must be administered on SBH, at the traveler’s expense.

If traveling through SXM, there is a special paperwork requirement, the EHAS form, which can be completed on line after receipt of negative COVID test results. SXM will acknowledge receipt and, within a couple of hours, grant access to the island. Reports are that while the paperwork has been reviewed by the departing airline, it was not necessarily considered by SXM employees. There are reports that SXM is considering requiring some sort of COVID related expense insurance. TBD.

On island reports are mixed. There are reports of masks generally being used in restricted areas. Although some visitors require testing results for entry, that is not the case, at this time, for all “off island” visitors. There has been a reported increase in cases on SBH attributed to untested “off island” visitors and some residents returning from Portugal. So far, there have been no deaths, and only one patient was airlifted off island (to the best of my recollection).

If a traveler becomes ill, the options for U.S. residents are to be transported to Guadeloupe or the U.S. (SXM?). Medjet is expanding coverage, related to COVID illness, as of October 19, but with notable restrictions and benefit qualifications worth reviewing. (link provided on Medjet thread)

Depending on the state to where you are returning, there may be a 14 day quarantine requirement for returning from SBH.

Another consideration for travelers is the "expense" (financial and emotional) should a traveler receive a positive test within the 72 hour window, and need to cancel flights and accommodations.

All this detail aside, those who have been on island through the various stages of the island's pandemic management, and those who have recently visited the island, share uplifting reports of its ever present beauty, serenity and refuge. Aaaaaah.
    No one has answered this question: We will be tested on a Monday. Because of canceled flights we are on planes Tuesday arriving in St. Martin Wednesday afternoon and St. Barth Commuter onto St Bart’s same day. We will not have test result paperwork on hand, only the emailed test results. Will this be accepted in SXM and St. Bart’s upon entry? We have traveled similar dates in November for 21 years. We thought long and hard about this year and it seems to get more complicated daily. Any answer will be helpful.

SBH Insider Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 5,990

Jstricklen wrote: "We will not have test result paperwork on hand, only the emailed test results."

A copy of test results, which I printed from my computer the night before my travel, was perfectly satisfactory upon my arrival on SBH in July.

Re: Traveling to SBH in the uncertain COVID related environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstricklen View Post
    No one has answered this question: We will be tested on a Monday. Because of canceled flights we are on planes Tuesday arriving in St. Martin Wednesday afternoon and St. Barth Commuter onto St Bart’s same day. We will not have test result paperwork on hand, only the emailed test results. Will this be accepted in SXM and St. Bart’s upon entry? We have traveled similar dates in November for 21 years. We thought long and hard about this year and it seems to get more complicated daily. Any answer will be helpful.
    You have to complete an online form for SXM too. This link has more information. https://stmaartenehas.com/travel-requirements/

emailed results will be accepted from a lab only. email results from a doctor are not accepted.

FYI

Covid-19: New health restrictions to be respected in the French part

Post on: 16th October

Due to the spread of the Covid-19 epidemic, the state of health emergency was declared from October 17, that is to say this Friday evening at midnight throughout the national territory.
    The Prefecture of Saint-Barthélemy and Saint-Martin invites all economic players and citizens to take note of the following measures:
    • Gatherings, meetings or activities of more than 6 people on public roads or in places open to the public are prohibited.
    • Private parties are prohibited in establishments open to the public
    • In bars and restaurants, guests will be limited to 6 per table and the names of customers must be registered.
    • Rule of 4m² per person in high traffic areas
    • Reinforcement of teleworking in companies and in administrations when possible
    • At home, it is recommended to limit family or social gatherings to a maximum of 6 people and to wear a mask on this occasion.
    These measures are taken to deal with the resurgence of the epidemic in our territories. The Prefecture calls on the entire population to respect them and to show good citizenship.

1082 total views , 900 views today

Sent from my iPad

SBH Insider Joined: Dec 2005 CT Posts: 1,024

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    I think it has to do with where you’ve been in the last 14 days before going back through SXM. With our trip to SBH only being 7 days, we would have still been in the US and subject to testing as a result. I would love to NOT have to take a test to go back through. Do you have a link that’s different from this? The saliva test, therapeutic and vaccine can’t come soon enough!

Name:  CF7B2045-B1EA-4FC3-B15E-324898C33CDA.png
Views: 528
Size:  284.7 KB
    Tiffany, I looked further into this (aside from the info from St. Barth Commuter). There is additional information on the site that lists the risk levels from some areas of travel with St. Bart's falling, at this time, at the lowest level of risk...and, so, not subject to the testing (at this time as I understand it), if in transit from SBH.

Tiffany, I looked further into this (aside from the info from St. Barth Commuter). There is additional information on the site that lists the risk levels from some areas of travel with St. Bart's falling, at this time, at the lowest level of risk...and, so, not subject to the testing (at this time as I understand it), if in transit from SBH.

All I can say is Uncle lol.

It’s really confusing. I read it as you’re fine not to take the test coming back if you’ve been in St. Barts for longer than 14 days. Since our trip was a week long, we would have been in the US within 14 days even coming back. I got the info by clicking through the links on the St Barth Commuter site. It was on the SXM FAQ page. We ending postponing this trip and are hoping things change, for the better, by the time of our February one.

All I can say is Uncle lol.
    Don’t worry, no more posting on this topic from me.

SBH Insider Joined: Apr 2005 Cambridge, MA Posts: 7,489

So then what if you are leaving the island on the morning of your 8th day? It would be impossible to be tested and have the results before you leave... Do you get tested on day 7 then, just so you can get on a flight the morning of day 8?
    Liberté, Égalité, Sororité