Troubling development at the school

JEK

Senior Insider
44E37014-7F97-4073-A406-A929813B774C.jpeg

It's a real problem for parents who work and now have to pick up their kids and take them home for lunch. And additional mid-day traffic in town. So if there were no cases of Covid-19 at the end of the "confinements" and their have been at least 15 since then, where are they coming from. Don't have to look far, open borders with no testing among the French islands. A very short-sighted decision IMHO....

It's a real problem for parents who work and now have to pick up their kids and take them home for lunch. And additional mid-day traffic in town. So if there were no cases of Covid-19 at the end of the "confinements" and their have been at least 15 since then, where are they coming from. Don't have to look far, open borders with no testing among the French islands. A very short-sighted decision IMHO....

This is scary. So much for life in the Covid 19 bubble which was St Barth. I think the open borders to the French Islands ruling came from France, but you just have to look at the number of new cases throughout the Islands to realize that it might not have been the wisest decision. It will be interesting to see how France reacts, but it seems to me that the testing protocol should be the same for all arrivals.

Phil

Le Journal is reporting that 2 imported cases have now been contact-traced to 5 additional cases.

On the topic of French islands:

Screen Shot 2020-09-19 at 11.37.39 AM.jpg

Limiting the 2 airlines to 100 passengers each way, per airline per day? I don’t know if that is a meaningful limitation or a laughable one.

What about taking your lunch to school in a lunch box?

I suspect it is a cultural obligation to sit at a table with knife and fork in hand and have a proper lunch.

Nutritional lunches are important for young growing bodies. Growing up in the old days I sometimes brought a bag lunch which I ate at my desk. The usual was to go home for lunch. But there were occasions when an eat in school was necessary. A sandwich and an apple got me through the day. Hope these workers feel better soon.

When I was in Primary school (1-6 in those days) my home was 100 yards from the school. I came home for lunch, and Mom made sure that I ate well. What I've since found to be incredibly valuable is that the local library was also 100 yards away. I can't say how much I learned, explored, and discovered in that library. These days, most of that is available on the internet - if one chooses to find it.

On our walks home for lunch we hit a street of pushcart vendors and commerce. A whole world of dry goods, produce, poultry and meats opened up for me and my twin brother on those walks to and from school.