Jimmy Buffett’s Saint Barth - Guanahani Blog

JEK

Senior Insider
[h=1]Jimmy Buffett’s St. Barth[/h]AUG 28,2020 / BY GUANAHANIBLOG / NO COMMENT /LIFESTYLE
By Drew Limsky
There’s arguably no entertainment figure more synonymous with the Caribbean lifestyle than singer/songwriter Jimmy Buffett. Infused with his signature, laid-back beachcomber vibe and filled with tropical imagery and memorable characters, Buffett’s oeuvre (30 albums since his 1970 debut with Down to Earth) feels like it was penned with the songwriter’s feet perpetually in the sand.
And, indeed, much of it was. In fact, of all the Caribbean islands, it was St. Barth t

https://blog.leguanahani.com/lifestyle/jimmy-buffetts-st-barth/

Re: Maya's

"Back in the days when Buffett first dropped anchor, this seafront location was a cemetery so picturesque that the singer could imagine being laid to rest there. While it’s no longer a cemetery today, visitors can still enjoy these same views — and the cuisine."

Did I miss something when we ate there a year and a half ago?

Re: Maya's

"Back in the days when Buffett first dropped anchor, this seafront location was a cemetery so picturesque that the singer could imagine being laid to rest there. While it’s no longer a cemetery today, visitors can still enjoy these same views — and the cuisine."

Did I miss something when we ate there a year and a half ago?

Maybe all he saw in '78 was the cemetery.

Jimmy Buffett’s St. Barth

AUG 28,2020 / BY GUANAHANIBLOG / NO COMMENT /LIFESTYLE
By Drew Limsky
There’s arguably no entertainment figure more synonymous with the Caribbean lifestyle than singer/songwriter Jimmy Buffett. Infused with his signature, laid-back beachcomber vibe and filled with tropical imagery and memorable characters...

https://blog.leguanahani.com/lifestyle/jimmy-buffetts-st-barth/

Come Monday, fans from around my area may find themselves remembering when Jimmy's Labor Day weekend show was a big end-of-summer event. Some fans on the forum discussed how things were not the same for them by 2014 in this "changing times" thread.

A NYT article from 2/8/18:

Jimmy Buffett Does Not Live the Jimmy Buffett Lifestyle

"Jimmy Buffett is not really Jimmy Buffett anymore. He hasn’t been for a while. Jimmy Buffett — the nibbling on sponge cake, watching the sun bake, getting drunk and screwing, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere Jimmy Buffett — has been replaced with a well-preserved businessman who is leveraging the Jimmy Buffett of yore in order to keep the Jimmy Buffett of now in the manner to which the old Jimmy Buffett never dreamed he could become accustomed. And therein lies the Margaritaville® Mesquite BBQ Rub: The more successful you become at selling the Jimmy Buffett lifestyle, the less you are seen as believably living the Jimmy Buffett lifestyle."

Jimmy is still a very nice person, down to earth but maybe more cautious of people than in his younger days. I have had a few chats with him.

I remember he did an impromptu gig at the old la plage , he was at a table with caroline kennedy, maya and a few others. Papa Guyo was playing on the small stage, and Jimmy got up and sang a few tunes. He was in his element, as this is how he started out, playing small gigs. He was very good that night and funny too. He said at the beginning before he started to play that he would do his best with a few songs without his band, and then said it really doesn't matter if its good because you folks ain't paying s*** anyway. a fun night.

I'm even less eager to go to a concert now than I was 6 years ago.

With fan bases in the likely-to-be-slowest-to-return-to-crowded-events demographic, it may be interesting to see which of the artists still touring after their farewell tours in the 1980's (as honored here) end up on TV infomercials. Rankings vary but Jimmy is consistently in the top tier of the long-careered performers one might expect to be at lowest risk of needing to compete for these coveted gigs.

Nancy - I'm north of NJ in the neighborhood of the venue that prompted that changing times thread.

Jimmy is still getting out there, with "new" old material, even in the days of COVID. There is a series of YouTube videos with "Songs You Don't Know by Heart". Jimmy is doing songs which you rarely, if ever, see in concert. The videos, produced by his daughter Delaney, are interesting more because of the side chatter than the performance quality. I'm particularly drawn to the video for "The Night I Painted The Sky". I had a "nodding acquaintance" with Larry "Groovy" Gray, the lead Bombardier in the song. I saw Groovy's Midnight Fireworks a few times on SBH, and hearing more of the backstory behind the song was interesting to me.

[h=2]The Night I Painted the Sky[/h]Jimmy Buffett

I CAME FROM THE NORTH ESCAPING CONVENTION
THE MODERN INVENTION THATWON'T LET ME BE
TO THE SHORES OF ST. MAARTEN WITH MY FICTION ADDICTION
TO RESTART THE FIRE A DREAMER'S REMEDY
INDEPENDENCE DAY AND ALL I REMEMBER
WAS A MIDNIGHT RAINBOW THAT FELL FROM THE SKY
AS I STAND ON THE BEACH I SLOWLY SURRENDER
TO THE CHILD IN ME WHO CAN'T SAY GOOD-BYE
THE ROCKETS IN THE AIR
AND THE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE
PUT AWAY THEIR DIFFERENCES FOR AWHILE
OH I AM STILL A CHILD WHEN IT COMES TO SOMETHING WILD
THAT WAS THE NIGHT I PAINTED THE SKY
I DUG IN THE SAND LIKE A BOY, ON A MISSION
AND THERE IN MY HANDS A PYRO'S DELIGHT
A BOMBADIER, A NIGHTTIME MAGICIAN
I SPARK THE SKY AS THE ROCKETS FLY FROM VIEW
THE ROCKETS IN THE AIR
AND THE PEOPLE EVERYWHERE
PUT AWAY THEIR DIFFERENCES FOR…

Being a friend and classmate of his Mother.... I will say... his St Barts roots are special. But he showed me the way in Mobile, Alabama.. ��