Now is the time to start on your passport renewals!

I always assumed it was the passenger's responsibility. Most airlines require passport details at time of booking which would prevent this from happening.
First of all it is the airlines responsibility on international flights. If you are booking online there is a section for passport info. And how did that person get past security at the airport before getting to check in? And didn’t the agent look at the passport at check in?
So we are talking about 3 scenarios that would have looked at the passport.

The ultimate responsibility to verify a passenger’s documents before transporting them is the airline’s. If a passenger is refused entry due to an expired passport, not only must the airline remove the passenger, but the airline can be fined.

The ultimate responsibility to verify a passenger’s documents before transporting them is the airline’s. If a passenger is refused entry due to an expired passport, not only must the airline remove the passenger, but the airline can be fined.

Going back to the thread subject:[h=2]Now is the time to start on your passport renewals![/h]

Also a good reminder for Global Entry renewals as well, if yours is coming up.. my wife had to schedule a follow up interview for her renewal, and it was extremely difficult to find an appointment for one.

Also a good reminder for Global Entry renewals as well, if yours is coming up.. my wife had to schedule a follow up interview for her renewal, and it was extremely difficult to find an appointment for one.

My renewal was stuck for months and when I conditionally approved, June was the earliest I coud get the interview appointment.

I renewed my Global Entry online.
I did the application online, but still need a face-to-face interview.

[FONT=&quot]Upon renewal, you may be required to interview again. This is determined by the vetting center and the determination cannot be appealed. If conditionally approved, you will need to schedule an interview to finalize your renewal if you still wish to be a member.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, a renewal may be approved without needing to schedule another interview. In this case, a new card will be mailed to the address on file.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I did the application online, but still need a face-to-face interview.

Also, a renewal may be approved without needing to schedule another interview. In this case, a new card will be mailed to the address on file.

yep

Got this useless email a few days ago!

[FONT=&quot]Dear Global Entry Applicant,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Instead of scheduling an appointment at a Global Entry Enrollment Center, you have the unique opportunity to interview for Global Entry when you return from your next international trip.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is Enrollment on Arrival? Global Entry applicants who are conditionally-approved can complete their interviews, the last step of the Global Entry process, while they are clearing through United States Customs and Border Protection or Pre-Clearance. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Enrollment on Arrival (EoA) is ONLY available at participating international airports in the United States and select Pre-Clearance locations and is NOT available on domestic connections.[/FONT]

A Journal article (from month ago) regarding this subject popped up on my FB.
Said passport renewals currently taking up to 18 weeks for processing.
FYI

New England folks, I mailed my passport renewal from a local Cambridge post office using 2-day delivery and I paid the extra fees to have it expedited and sent back to me via express delivery. It was four weeks from the day I mailed it to when I received my new passport. I was told that passports are still being processed from government workers' homes.

This is what the State Department is saying:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports.html/

[h=3]Passport Services Available Now[/h]What to Expect:

• Mail delays are impacting when we receive passport applications for processing. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application, not the day you mail it.
  • Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing and 5 to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
  • Expedite service (for an additional $60) can take up to 12 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 12-week timeframe includes 6 weeks for processing and 5 to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
We suggest you:

• Send your application to us via trackable mail, so you can track your application before it enters our system. This can be done whether applying at an acceptance facility or by mail.
  • Pay an extra $17.56 for 1-2 day delivery for the return of your completed passport.
Use Self-Service Tools Online: You can get your questions answered immediately by using one of the self-service tools available on our site. Check online for your passport status. Customer service representatives will not give status updates over the phone.
Planning to Travel? Apply Early! Apply at least six months before planned travel. Due to limited availability for urgent travel appointments, we cannot guarantee you can receive in-person service at a passport agency or center. We are prioritizing customers with life-or-death emergencies. We do not charge a fee to make an appointment. Visit our Passport Agency and Center page to learn more.

Jeanette, good info, thanks. My son needed his passport renewed. Did everything at the post office a week ago and paid to expedite. Fingers crossed we get the new passport in-time for our November trip.

Of course, we knew that we should have started in January, but we figured that we wouldn't be going out of the country, so we had time. Then we did a one-eighty and used a service. Our passports were received, processed, and delivered back to us in a little over 5 weeks. We overpaid, but I feel much more relaxed.

My Global Entry was due to expire in October, I was lucky, got my renewal approved in 24 hours and no need to have an interview. It is luck of the draw, I guess.

• Expedite service (for an additional $60) can take up to 12 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 12-week timeframe includes 6 weeks for processing and 5 to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
Wow. 5 to 6 weeks for mailing?

For anyone who is worried about not getting their passport back by their travel date and is within (I believe) one month of travel. My cousin was up against her travel date last month and made an appointment at one of the same day locations. Even those appointments were very hard to find. Apparently there is some kind of facebook group or message board that gives tips for this but you can just google the locations as well. Luckily she received her passport a couple of days before her travel date and a day before her appointment which for her was going to be an all day thing - from mid-Jersey to Stamford CT for the closest place with an available appointment. She was able to just cancel the appointment for the same day service after receiving her passport in the mail.