Cittarium pica

cassidain

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 9.58.06 AM.png

the réserve naturelle reminds that collecting these gastropods is forbidden till the end of the year. in a continuing effort to rebuild the stock of the beleaguered critters in the local waters.

I've only had them on saint-barth once, but it was a less than exciting experience and one of the very few disappointments I've had at le grain de sel.

View attachment 53700

the réserve naturelle reminds that collecting these gastropods is forbidden till the end of the year. in a continuing effort to rebuild the stock of the beleaguered critters in the local waters.

I've only had them on saint-barth once, but it was a less than exciting experience and one of the very few disappointments I've had at le grain de sel.

bourgos are popular with locals, as well as another variety or "horn snail" known as corne d'antenne here.... probably not supposed to collect and eat those right now either...

Thank you both.
So nothing approaching a year old should ever be commented upon.
Wasn’t aware it is a Forum guideline as there have been others who have done so in the past.
Let’s hope others don’t do it in the future as you’ll be watching.

I have always noticed that stbartshopper is always the gentleman. even when others are critical of him. Can we all just be kind, life is short .

amyb, gramchop & andynap, regulars on this forum, it takes very little effort to be kind. calling other people names, and insinuating that they don't have common sense is not really making the forum better is it?

be better!

I did not realize the cittarium pica or ‘whelk’ is the third most important invertebrate species economically behind the Queen Conch and the spiny lobster in the Caribbean. Nor how dependent the hermit crabs are on their shells. Now I know where all those hermit crabs’ portable houses come from. And why it is important not to over harvest the citarrium pica as was done around Bermuda.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cittarium_pica
I apologize to all Forum members for not using ‘common sense;’ not knowing there are ‘dead’ posts’ and commenting on interesting previous posts. The original post and responses to Cassidain I found interesting.
amy, gramchop and andy I view you as leaders of the Forum and I appreciate your comments as well as yours didier.
As Andy says “All done.”