Le Couteau est arrivé

PeterLynn

Senior Insider
After many daurade grilleé on the island, I became intrigued by the accompanying "sauce chien" (dog sauce). Turns out it is named after a knife sold in the French West Indies ("Le Couteau Chien") that was used to slice the ingredients. None of the stores in SBH could help me locate such a knife, but a discussion on the forum found a mail order store in France. I have been scheduling a trip to the remaining French islands (Martinique and Guadeloupe) and figured I'd locate the knife there, but the virus got in the way. Long story short, I finally ordered the knife and it arrived today. Decided to pluck a lime off the tree and voilà...
chien.jpg

After many daurade grilleé on the island, I became intrigued by the accompanying "sauce chien" (dog sauce). Turns out it is named after a knife sold in the French West Indies ("Le Couteau Chien") that was used to slice the ingredients. None of the stores in SBH could help me locate such a knife, but a discussion on the forum found a mail order store in France. I have been scheduling a trip to the remaining French islands (Martinique and Guadeloupe) and figured I'd locate the knife there, but the virus got in the way. Long story short, I finally ordered the knife and it arrived today. Decided to pluck a lime off the tree and voilà...
View attachment 53658

Beautiful knife and perfect use!

Here's the recipe that Maya gave us:

Sauce Chien

1 Shallot, finely chopped
1 Habanero, finely chopped
1 Clove Garlic, finely chopped
Chives, finely chopped
Thyme, fresh, finely chopped
Parsley, finely chopped
Salt & Pepper

Mix and steep in 1Tbl boiling water

½ Lime, juiced
¼ Cup Olive Oil

Andy you are some what predictable. You would always attempt to outdo Mayas. Same as the Eagles vs. Patriots. What makes life interesting. Hope you and family are safe,

This is great! I have often wondered why it was called Dog Sauce. Kind of like the first time I saw "Steak à Cheval"...