Travelers are flocking to villas on the glitzy Caribbean island of St. Barts

JEK

Senior Insider
  • St. Barts, a Caribbean island known for attracting billionaires and socialites, reopened for tourism on June 22.
  • As of late July, the island had just eight reported COVID-19 cases, none of which were fatal.
  • All visitors are allowed entry onto the island as long as they present a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test from less than 72 hours before departure.
  • Business Insider spoke with several villa rental companies on the influx of US and European travelers in late June, July, and August. Luxury villa rentals are surging, with many guests staying for up to six weeks, compared to the average summer stay of five to 10 days.

https://www.businessinsider.com/st-barts-travel-pandemic-response-villa-rental-2020-8

Is it 72 hours prior to departure, or 72 hours prior to arrival? I know this has been addressed, but I have seen conflicting answers. The difference could be quite pronounced if one were to overnight in SJU.

"The nine-square-mile island, which takes roughly 20 minutes to drive around..."

Was this ~14 min. video posted in this thread part of the the author's research? Early AM, less traffic, perhaps contributing to the driver/videographer being mistaken for Claude Lelouch...

"The island budgeted €2 million ($2.35 million) towards its COVID-19 response, part of which helped purchase... ventilators..."

Is this true? If so, I missed it.

I believe it's no less than 72 hours from arrival from the various sources I've read. With the proprietary testing kits being used and ongoing surges stateside eating up testing sample kits, I worry about not being able to get a result in time myself.

However, I can understand why anyone or municipality would want the results within that time.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong; I read this via the WIMCO site myself.

"The nine-square-mile island, which takes roughly 20 minutes to drive around..."

Was this ~14 min. video posted in this thread part of the the author's research? Early AM, less traffic, perhaps contributing to the driver/videographer being mistaken for Claude Lelouch...

"The island budgeted €2 million ($2.35 million) towards its COVID-19 response, part of which helped purchase... ventilators..."

Is this true? If so, I missed it.

Thanks for the flattering Lelouuch reference. As to on-island ventilators I believe that to be some salesmanship on the part of the local purveyors of rentals. On a related topic, the PCR-test-to-results-lag seems to be a major drag on the realization of summertime return renters.

On a related topic, the PCR-test-to-results-lag seems to be a major drag on the realization of summertime return renters.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 5.50.53 PM.png

one might imagine this mask thing could also be a major drag on the realization of summertime return renters. àmha

personally, I have zero interest in wearing a mask to a restaurant or being served by people in masks. ymmv

Then don’t go to restaurants.

problem solved!

i haven’t. i cook well, so it’s not the end of the world.

i think I’m allowed to express my opinion. and, this mask thing is not conducive to attracting otherwise unafraid people to the island.

you’re welcome to a different opinion.

i haven’t. i cook well, so it’s not the end of the world.

i think I’m allowed to express my opinion. and, this mask thing is not conducive to attracting otherwise unafraid people to the island.

you’re welcome to a different opinion.

You're allowed to express whatever opinion you wish.

You may not be allowed to express it here, tho.

So the decision is yours.