St Barth Coral Restoration - turtle egg relocation project!

JEK

Senior Insider
Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 8.41.00 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 8.41.18 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-04 at 8.41.36 AM.jpg

Bravo Didier and team!

Let's all keep our fingers crossed for a job well done and then a HAPPY ENDING. Sea Turtles ROCK!

I hope moving the nest pays off in the future. When my wife and I visited Grand Cayman we visited the turtle sanctuary. While it was quite the tourist trap, we didn't feel too taken as the money we spent was hopefully being put to a good cause. We were amazed at the size of the sea turtles they had there.

However, when when faced with certain situations, giving mother nature a nudge in a specific direction, I always wonder if it's the right decision. You would think mother nature would know more about how to raise sea turtles then the human race. Maybe we just all need to work together :happy1:.

What a great effort by St. Barth Coral Restoration group! Will remain positive and hope that we get some news in the not too distant future on the new turtle hatchlings. Well done!! You never know unless you try...

we visited a beach in Trinidad where the giant leatherback turtles lay their eggs and we were there the day the hundres of babies were coming out of their eggs onto the sand.. they have a guy there who scoops them up and puts them in a holding pen for 24 hours so they can gain strength before going into the sea.. he frees them and sends them on their way then it's dark so dogs and vultures don't attack them... quite a few of the little critters were on the loose and we were picking them up in the restaurant and putting them in shoe boxes for safe keeping til they got to the holding pen... so I think a lot of places may try to give Mother Nature a hand!

What a great picture you have painted Ellen of helping Mother Nature!

I would love to see that with my own eyes. I loved the late Writer Pat Conroy’s descriptions of ‘turtle aid’ in the Carolinas in his wonderful book BEACH MUSIC

Didier Laplace is tirelessly working on preserving and improving the island's marine and coastal resources.
Saline beach path plantings, native beach plant restoration, Grand Fond + Toiny beach trash bins, remote island beach cleanups by boat, etc. etc. etc.
His work is highly worthwhile--deserves our support IMO.

I suggest anyone who questions the good intent and good works of Didier Laplace and his Coral Restoration Project take a look at these pages:

https://www.facebook.com/didier.laplace.31

https://www.facebook.com/coralrestorationstbarth97133

Didier Laplace is tirelessly working on preserving and improving the island's marine and coastal resources.
Saline beach path plantings, native beach plant restoration, Grand Fond + Toiny beach trash bins, remote island beach cleanups by boat, etc. etc. etc.
His work is highly worthwhile--deserves our support IMO.

A few of us were fortunate enough to be on the island in February for a special luncheon that benefited his Coral Restoration project.

A great cause and a lovely fundraising event organized by the St Barths International Property Owners Association. A group that does so much to keep owners informed of island happenings. A group that contributes to many island causes.the hospitals, schools, and environmental needs.New members welcomed. We do not own, but support this group’s projects.

A great cause and a lovely fundraising event organized by the St Barths International Property Owners Association. A group that does so much to keep owners informed of island happenings. A group that contributes to many island causes.the hospitals, schools, and environmental needs.New members welcomed. We do not own, but support this group’s projects.

I wish there were “Like“ & “Love” buttons! I’m 100% with you, Amy!

I wasn't trying to offend anyone with my comment above. I know there are no ill intentions with the project and wish them success in what they are trying to achieve.

That's all I have to say :D

Here in Bluffton SC we have a young woman with 2 degrees in related sciences + a Coast Guard license. She works tirelessly as the head of our neighbor to the east, Hilton Head Island, as the major domo of the turtle project. She needs more hours in the days. During the nesting season the island also has regulations about lighting so as not to confuse the babies. The St Barth project is so worthwhile too.

Mother Nature has to cooperate also. During my landscaping career we planted many thousands of beach grass on various properties. If a coastal storm hits before the grass plugs take root, all is lost.

Mother Nature has to cooperate also. During my landscaping career we planted many thousands of beach grass on various properties. If a coastal storm hits before the grass plugs take root, all is lost.
Didier and team are active in dune restoration too!

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.49.47 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 4.49.04 PM.jpg

I would guess that a vine as shown would stand up to wave action better than beach grass. Hope it slows down erosion.