Best mahi burger on the island?

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 11.08.00 AM.png

Cass, here is an interesting comparison...

fish #1 dorade coryphène, aka mahi mahi

Mahi-Mahi-Dolphin-Fish.jpg

fish #2 silver dorade aka sea bream or gilthead dorade

gilthead-dorade-15246344.jpg

so if you are in the Mediterranean and ask for dorade, 99% chances are you'd get fish #2... as they generally do not serve mahi mahi in portofino, I will admit I was confused at first, when is a dorade not a dorade?

Attachments

• silver dorade.jpg
    silver dorade.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 331

from one of my late, great faves The Language Maven, William Safire

Uncle Cries 'Uncle'
IN A RELATED DEVELOP ment (to avoid that cliche, think of it as meaning a community housing your in-laws), Mr. Reagan was asked in a recent news conference whether he was advocating the overthrow of the Government of Nicaragua. He indicated no, not ''if they'd say 'Uncle.' ''
My follow-up was directed to Robert Burchfield, editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, whose new book, ''The English Language,'' is the best short survey of the mother tongue by any of its sons. ''Yes, the pages of the Fourth Supplement of the O.E.D. that include uncle have just come from the printers,'' the ebullient lexicographer from New Zealand reports. ''The expression is 'to say, holler or cry ''Uncle'' ' - any of those verbs will do - and we define it as 'to acknowledge defeat, to cry for mercy.' Very current in America, isn't it?''
Very. The recorded origin is relatively recent, according to Mitford Mathews in his Dictionary of Americanisms. Mathews's earliest citation for the expression was The Chicago Herald-Examiner of Oct. 1, 1918: ''Sic him Jenny Jinx - make him say 'Uncle.' ''
What made the President's use of the kids' street lingo so effective, and so infuriating, was the double meaning of ''Uncle.'' As both the signal for surrender and the short form of ''Uncle Sam,'' the President gave a special emphasis of knuckling under to the United States. I think the double meaning was not intentional; it was delivered in entirely too offhand a way for that.

''What intrigues me is the origin of the term,'' writes Peggy de Graaff of New York. ''Why settle on that particular relative, and for what reason would that imply surrender?''
Nobody knows. Charles Earle Funk, in his ''Heavens to Betsy!'' book of word origins, tosses out a possibility in the Latin cry Patrue mi patruissime - ''Uncle, my best of uncles!'' - but how that might have made it from the streets of ancient Rome to the playgrounds of America is a mystery. For years, slangymologists have been breaking their heads over the provenance of the term and are about ready to throw in the towel, toss in the sponge, and like that.

from one of my late, great faves The Language Maven, William Safire

Uncle Cries 'Uncle'
IN A RELATED DEVELOP ment (to avoid that cliche, think of it as meaning a community housing your in-laws), Mr. Reagan was asked in a recent news conference whether he was advocating the overthrow of the Government of Nicaragua. He indicated no, not ''if they'd say 'Uncle.' ''
My follow-up was directed to Robert Burchfield, editor of the Oxford English Dictionary, whose new book, ''The English Language,'' is the best short survey of the mother tongue by any of its sons. ''Yes, the pages of the Fourth Supplement of the O.E.D. that include uncle have just come from the printers,'' the ebullient lexicographer from New Zealand reports. ''The expression is 'to say, holler or cry ''Uncle'' ' - any of those verbs will do - and we define it as 'to acknowledge defeat, to cry for mercy.' Very current in America, isn't it?''
Very. The recorded origin is relatively recent, according to Mitford Mathews in his Dictionary of Americanisms. Mathews's earliest citation for the expression was The Chicago Herald-Examiner of Oct. 1, 1918: ''Sic him Jenny Jinx - make him say 'Uncle.' ''
What made the President's use of the kids' street lingo so effective, and so infuriating, was the double meaning of ''Uncle.'' As both the signal for surrender and the short form of ''Uncle Sam,'' the President gave a special emphasis of knuckling under to the United States. I think the double meaning was not intentional; it was delivered in entirely too offhand a way for that.

''What intrigues me is the origin of the term,'' writes Peggy de Graaff of New York. ''Why settle on that particular relative, and for what reason would that imply surrender?''
Nobody knows. Charles Earle Funk, in his ''Heavens to Betsy!'' book of word origins, tosses out a possibility in the Latin cry Patrue mi patruissime - ''Uncle, my best of uncles!'' - but how that might have made it from the streets of ancient Rome to the playgrounds of America is a mystery. For years, slangymologists have been breaking their heads over the provenance of the term and are about ready to throw in the towel, toss in the sponge, and like that.

:up: