Rescue at sea

andynap

Senior Insider
186D81D8-5C3F-4701-A110-F7C42C7EE00C.jpeg

Wonderful rescue. Where were the fishermen from? To which island were the fortunate survivors brought and have all been tested for Covid?

The SNSM, Société Nationale de Sauvetage en Mer, is the National Sea Rescue Society. As with all of the SNSM boats, funds to buy and operate the boat are raised locally, and the crew are all volunteers. The Capitaine Danet, SNS269, is the SNSM boat in St Barth, named after a ship Captain from Corossol who is known for a sea rescue. Kudos to the crew of SNS269 on today's rescue mission.

The CROSS referenced in the article is CROSSAG, Centre Régional Opérationnel de Surveillance et de Sauvetageaux Antilles et en Guyane, which is located in Martinique. CROSSAG coordinates sea rescues in the Caribbean and Guiana.

And then there is Tintamarre (aka Flat Island) where the rescue took place. Remy de Haenen, the first to land an airplane on St Barth, on the savanna where the current airport is located, once owned an airline which was based on Tintamarre. Remy de Haenan was also the original developer/owner of Eden Rock, and a mayor of St Barth.

Incredible, lucky fishermen. Great that there are brave people who rescue and during rough conditions.

took me a minute to figure out le CROSS in the story that turned in the alert to the SNSM.

Centre Régional Opérationnel de Surveillance et de Sauvetageaux Antilles et en Guyane (CROSS AG)

I've known Maïlys since she was a little girl. So proud of her for training with SNSM and participating in the rescue! Well-done.

I'm glad that females or males are now able to get the training to go out in dangerous conditions and contribute to saving lives.