SBH-Related Coronavirus Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Kevin.

Are these cases coming in through Guadeloupe?

I corrected my previous response to read 3 active cases, not 4. 1 case was previously reported to have transited through Guadeloupe. The July 31 update says "1 cas importé et 1 cas secondaire", or 1 imported case, and 1 secondary case. There's nothing in the ARS document to indicate the origin of the 3rd case.

08BC25BE-62FF-452B-B558-D399C312CA9A.jpeg

the latest case from aug 1st was not imported but was a community spread from a lively restaurant in gustavia on saturday night (july 25th)

our experience of the restaurants on st barts is that some are taking covid seriously and are asking you to hand sanitize on the way in, and seating people far enough apart that distancing is possible, and having improved ventilation or seating as many as possible outside.

whereas some, like this lively restaurant in gustavia (dont need many guesses to figure out which one), was acting like it was business as usual. tables packed close together to capacity. large groups of noisy people having a good time. poor ventilation (no windows open). loud music. dancing. singing. after the meal is over, it effectively turns into a dance club. and clearly, these are prime conditions for covid to spread in the community, especially with the influx of visitors in the last few days and weeks.

im also concerned about the level of contact tracing and the time taken to achieve it.

each person who booked a table was called (eventually, after a few days), and told to attend the covid testing lab. but how far did they go in ensuring accuracy of the contacts? did they ask each table booker who else was on their table and their contact details? did someone check off who was there, who got tested and who didnt?

its a worry whether they did full and timely contact tracing, and that few of those that ate and danced and sang in the restaurant that night have been in for a test.

Last edited:
the latest case from aug 1st was not imported but was a community spread from a lively restaurant in gustavia on saturday night (july 25th)

our experience of the restaurants on st barts is that some are taking covid seriously and are asking you to hand sanitize on the way in, and seating people far enough apart that distancing is possible, and having improved ventilation or seating as many as possible outside.

whereas some, like this lively restaurant in gustavia (dont need many guesses to figure out which one), was acting like it was business as usual. tables packed close together to capacity. large groups of noisy people having a good time. poor ventilation (no windows open). loud music. dancing. singing. after the meal is over, it effectively turns into a dance club. and clearly, these are prime conditions for covid to spread in the community, especially with the influx of visitors in the last few days and weeks.

im also concerned about the level of contact tracing and the time taken to achieve it.

each person who booked a table was called (eventually, after a few days), and told to attend the covid testing lab. but how far did they go in ensuring accuracy of the contacts? did they ask each table booker who else was on their table and their contact details? did someone check off who was there, who got tested and who didnt?

its a worry whether they did full and timely contact tracing, and that few of those that ate and danced and sang in the restaurant that night have been in for a test.

Very interesting, aerobatic. I have a suspicion of the name of the restaurant (on the quay?), but cannot be certain . . . in part because I’m rarely at restaurants with tables packed together with noisy people, loud music, singing, & dancing. There was a time when I might have been found there, but it was wwaaayyy pre-Covid. And I definitely was not there Saturday night! These days (even before Covid reared its infectious profile), I look for serene settings.

Tonight, it’s L’Esprit . . . there’s no one within 6 feet of me, & the most revelry comes when lights are briefly dimmed for delivery of a cake, accompanied by a brief blast of recorded festive music, to celebrate a birthday with a sparkling Roman candle. It’s fun . . . then it’s quickly over for the non-celebrants.

Tonight’s dinner, BTW, is exquisite! An amuse bouche of fresh tuna tartare, followed by the very best foie gras that I know, & some really succulent pink veal, accompanied by creamy risotto where each bite has a tasty crunch! (Great wine, as well . . . for anyone interested, it’s a 2014 Saint Estephe from Eclat Tour de Pez.)

Apart from rhapsodizing about great food, a beautiful setting, & the specialness that is found at L’Esprit, I guess that my post is meant to illustrate that there are wonderful, healthy-respectful alternatives to the nightmare that you described.

We were at Victoria this evening and you could not walk in the door without a mask, although one table seemed to escape the scrutiny, but they were the only ones seated inside... everyone else was scattered at tables outside and there was a lovely breeze.. of course one of the waiters had his mask set below his nose, oblivious to the fact that renders it pretty useless, but everyone else on the staff was appropriately masked. Oddly, the young manager at Victoria is called Victor so I asked him if he knew the film Victor/Victoria. He did not. He probably wasn't born yet the year is was made!

Eclat Tour de Pez is my latest discovery, and is available at Le Cave for under 20 Eu. A great bargain Bordeaux from one of my favorite regions.

Phil

Great tip, Phil . . . merci! I see a visit to Le Cave in my future!

Here is the August 5 update from ARS Guadeloupe

There are no new cases on St Barth, with a total of 10 cases, 6 of which have recovered and 4 of which are active. The 10th case which was not included in the previous graphic is included in this graphic

There are 9 new cases on St Martin, for a total of 62 cases, 41 of which have recovered, and 16 of which are active.

2B01D89A-B319-4FC1-AB37-20A2F286BEC2.jpeg

Did the SXM airport open today for US Citizens?
So just about every Country in the world is banning travel from the US but SXM permits it! That makes a lot of sense...only a matter of time before someone brings the virus to SBH and then we start all over again!

Status
Not open for further replies.