SBH-Related Coronavirus Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of now, I have learned, the CDC has issued a warning on travel to SXM. Too many new cases reported since the lifting of the US travel ban.

As of now, I have learned, the CDC has issued a warning on travel to SXM. Too many new cases reported since the lifting of the US travel ban.
I don't disagree with the CDC, but isn't that kind of ironic?

business-commerce-board-boardroom-ascertained-blamegames-blame_games-jman202_low.jpg

Here is the August 8 update from ARS Guadeloupe

There are 3 new cases on St Barth, with a total of 13 cases, 6 of which have recovered and 7 of which are active.

There are 16 new cases on St Martin, for a total of 78 cases, 44 of which have recovered, and 29 of which are active.

Point SBH 20200808.png

Point SFG 20200808.png

Here is the August 11 update from ARS Guadeloupe

There are no new cases on St Barth, with a total of 13 cases, 6 of which have recovered and 7 of which are active.

There are 6 new cases on St Martin, for a total of 84 cases, 44 of which have recovered, and 34 of which are active.

Point SBH 20200811.png

Point SFG 20200811.png

Here is the August 12 update from ARS Guadeloupe

There are no new cases on St Barth, with a total of 13 cases, 8 of which have recovered and 8 of which are active. Hmmm. 8+8 does not equal 13. ARS needs to work on their math.

There are 8 new cases on St Martin, for a total of 92 cases, 46 of which have recovered, and 41 of which are active.

Point SBH 20200812.png

Point SFG 20200812.png

It would go up once the airport was opened.

Yes - it started spiking with returnee flights, and after flights from Europe resumed on July 1. I'll leave it to SXM's Contact Tracing to determine if there is a connection to those flights. So far, there is no published connection to the resumption of flights from the US on August 1.

its too early to draw those conclusions.

there is also the issue that foreign visitors who come from europe or the usa have to produce a negative pcr test prior to arrival, whereas those from neighbouring islands, dont have to (and they seem to have community spread in those islands). that seems like a potential loophole in the island's defences against importing the virus.

Press release from the Prefecture regarding COVID on Saint Martin (translation by Google, the original French text follows):

Press release from the prefecture services: Press release of August 13, 2020 on the health situation on the island of Saint Martin.

The increase in covid-19 cases on the island is worrying.

The health situation on the island is increasingly worrying. The ARS currently has 41 active cases since July 17, as many as in the period from March 1 to May 29. Sint Maarten has 129 active cases over the same period of time.

The dramatic increase in covid-19 cases on the island reminds us that the virus is present and circulating. One death is to be deplored in part French and two in part Dutch in less than two weeks.

The screening campaign in partnership with the Red Cross continues. It is important to continue getting tested with or without symptoms. In this context, 653 samples have been taken from volunteers for a total of 2,858 tests since the start of the epidemic.

Measures to restrict the movement of people can be implemented to fight the epidemic.
The new entry conditions to Saint Martin from Sint Maarten introduced on July 31, 2020 are aimed at controlling the epidemic. However, cross-border travel without compelling professional or health reasons remains numerous. These behaviors must stop. As a reminder, the return to the French part of the island is only possible on presentation of a certificate issued by the Prefecture or a form C issued by the Government of Sint Maarten or the KPSM. Any offender will be reprimanded.

In order to stem the spread of the virus on our island, more restrictive measures could be implemented in the coming weeks. Inter-island trips (to Guadeloupe and Martinique) may be subject to compelling reasons and the presentation of a negative PCR test carried out 72 hours before departure. The already limited gatherings of people could be
reduced further.

The implementation of these measures depends on the evolution of the number of cases.
The greatest vigilance must therefore be observed by the entire population. We remind you that respecting barrier gestures and wearing a mask are essential in the fight against the virus. The objective is to avoid reaching the capacity limits of our health system.

The health of the population is the only argument that should guide our decisions.

Communiqué des services de la préfecture : Communiqué de presse du 13 août 2020 sur lasituation sanitaire de l’île de Saint Martin.

L’augmentation des cas de covid-19 sur l’île est inquiétante.
La situation sanitaire sur l’île est de plus en plus préoccupante. L’ARS recense actuellement 41 cas actifs depuis le 17 juillet, soit autant que sur la période du 1er mars au 29 mai. Sint Maarten dénombre quant à elle 129 cas actifs sur cette même période de temps.

L’augmentation très importante des cas de covid-19 sur l’île nous rappelle que le virus est présent et qu’il circule. Un décès est à déplorer en partie française et deux en partie néérlandaise en moins de deux semaines.

La campagne de dépistage en partenariat avec la Croix Rouge se poursuit. Il est important de continuer à se faire dépister avec ou sans symptômes. Dans ce cadre 653 prélèvements ont été réalisés sur les personnes volontaires pour un total de 2858 tests depuis le début de l’épidémie.

Des mesures de restrictions de déplacements des personnes pourront être mises en œuvre pour lutter contre l’épidémie.
Les nouvelles conditions d’entrée à Saint Martin depuis Sint Maarten instaurées le 31 juillet 2020 ont pour objectif de contrôler l’épidémie. Toutefois, les déplacements inter-frontaliers sans motif impérieux d’ordre professionnel ou de santé restent nombreux. Ces comportements doivent cesser. Pour rappel le retour en partie française de l’île n’est possible que sur présentation d’une attestation delivrée par la Préfecture ou d’un form C délivré par le Gouvernement de Sint Maarten ou la KPSM. Tout contrevenant sera réprimandé.

Afin d’endiguer la propagation du virus sur notre île, des mesures plus restrictives pourraient être mises en œuvre dans les semaines à venir. Les déplacements inter-îles (vers la Guadeloupe et la Martinique) risquent d’être soumis à des motifs impérieux et à la présentation d’un test PCR négatif réalisé 72h avant le départ. Les rassemblements de personnes, déjà limités, pourraient être
réduits davantage.

La mise en œuvre de ces mesures dépend de l’évolution du nombre de cas.
Ainsi la plus grande vigilance doit être observée par l’ensemble de la population. Nous vous rappelons que le respect des gestes barrières et le port du masque sont essentiels dans la lutte contre le virus. L’objectif est éviter d’atteindre les limites capacitaires de notre système de santé.

La santé de la population est le seul argument qui doit guider nos décisions.

Amazing SBH statistic — only 13 known Covid cases in almost 6 mos (March - August), with four of them occurring in the last couple of weeks. The latter fact goes a long way to explain renewed attention to recommended safeguards — masking, etc. At a restaurant last night, for example, I was scolded by a proprietor when I forgot to put on my mask as I walked to the bathroom. I won’t do that again!

Amazing SBH statistic — only 13 known Covid cases in almost 6 mos (March - August), with four of them occurring in the last couple of weeks. The latter fact goes a long way to explain renewed attention to recommended safeguards — masking, etc. At a restaurant last night, for example, I was scolded by a proprietor when I forgot to put on my mask as I walked to the bathroom. I won’t do that again!

I have had the same thing happen. Wearing a mask may be inconvenient, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.